Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Sky Plus PVR Review?

Sky Plus PVR Review?
iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2004, 09:06 AM

Hi guys,

Does anyone here have a link to a decent Sky Plus review? I'm interested in buying it, but I am a bit cautious, anyone have any opinions?

Thanks,
Oliver

Riddler
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2004, 10:59 AM

You don't need to read any reviews dude - it plain'ole ROCKS. You will not be able to figure out how you lived without it.
Riddler

PowerBook G4 1.5GHz + MacPro 2.66 1900XT

iOliverC  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2004, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by Riddler:
You don't need to read any reviews dude - it plain'ole ROCKS. You will not be able to figure out how you lived without it.
Thought as much, one question, is all saved TV in the same quality (look wise) as TV you see on the screen when watching a channel, or is there some form of compression?

Thanks,
Oliver

Riddler
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2004, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by iOliverC:
Thought as much, one question, is all saved TV in the same quality (look wise) as TV you see on the screen when watching a channel, or is there some form of compression?

Thanks,
Oliver
It basically just dumps the encrypted video stream straight to hard disk, there is no extra compression hence why there is zero loss of quality.

I have not done it myself but you can quite easily plop a 250Gb drive into the latest Sky+ box giving you six times the recording space of the standard box. I can't remember the address of the site with the guides for doing it, Google is your friend on this I guess.

Have fun.
Riddler

PowerBook G4 1.5GHz + MacPro 2.66 1900XT

Forum Links
Forum Rules