Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > bluetooth keyboard w/ USB mouse?

bluetooth keyboard w/ USB mouse?
SuperHard
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2005, 01:42 PM

I was wondering if I could connect a USB mouse (or trackball...tempted to try something new) to the Apple bluetooth keyboard?
Any hints or links to other info sources would be greatly appreciated. Ideally I'd like to have both a bluetooth keyboard and mouse/trackball, but I want either the Microsoft explorer -type mouse or something quite similar and I understand the bluetooth version of that mouse does not work with Apple Bluetooth :-( so I will wait until there is something like that available.

Many thanks!

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2005, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by SuperHard
I was wondering if I could connect a USB mouse (or trackball...tempted to try something new) to the Apple bluetooth keyboard?
Any hints or links to other info sources would be greatly appreciated. Ideally I'd like to have both a bluetooth keyboard and mouse/trackball, but I want either the Microsoft explorer -type mouse or something quite similar and I understand the bluetooth version of that mouse does not work with Apple Bluetooth :-( so I will wait until there is something like that available.

Many thanks!
AFAIK, the bluetooth keyboard doesn't have any ports on it.

Brian McHale
Aug 31, 2005, 03:00 PM

It's my understanding that USB over Bluetooth is not possible, so I think the answr is "no".
Brian

SuperHard  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2005, 05:23 PM

I think you both are right; it seems the keyboard has no ports and I suspect the wired mouse/trackball could eat up the keyboard's batteries.
I guess I will go with a wired trackball for now.

Thanks a bunch.

Hodog16
Sep 6, 2005, 12:36 AM

Apple BT keyboard definitely has no ports.

For a USB mouse, I highly recommend the logitech MX 1000 laser cordless mouse. I've seen it for $40 (don't pay retail) and it's rechargable. On the larger side (think original MS intellimouse explorer size) but it works great.

gradient
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2005, 01:59 AM

I have the Apple BT keyboard and no it doesn't have any ports. If you're looking for a Microsoft-style mouse, I bought the Logitech MX900 BT mouse and it absolutely rocks - I recommend it to anyone. You'll need a 3rd party preference pane like GamePad Companion to get access to the other programmable buttons but once you do its a snap. The only downside to the MX900 is that it eats batteries like crazy (a pair of AA's every 4 days or so) but its amazing feel and responsiveness (great for detail oriented games and such), not to mention the fact that it ships with a pair of rechargeable batteries and a charging dock, more then make up for that one flaw.

Forum Links
Forum Rules