Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Gay marriages legal in Mexico now

Gay marriages legal in Mexico now
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2006, 12:44 AM

Only in Mexico City, but who would have thought? Congratulations to the activists. Huge victory.

Mexican capital legalizes gay unions | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2006, 12:51 AM

Hey Salty, still trying to get out of Canada ?

-t

bstone
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2006, 01:29 AM

I am sorry to be so rude, but would this perhaps best belong in the political lounge? It occurs to me that this is a political issue and by virtue of the fact that it was done by activists (political activists at that), it would belong there.

This is in no way an my own endorsement or denunciation of this new occurrence.
( Last edited by bstone; Nov 14, 2006 at 01:32 AM. Reason: spelling)
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2006, 01:56 AM

¡Arriba!
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

g/re/p
Baninated
Nov 14, 2006, 02:40 AM

I am fairly certain that a marriage between two men,
even though legal in mexico, would not be recognized
as a legal union in the United States - so nothing has really
changed here.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2006, 02:42 AM

Well duh

bstone
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2006, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by g/re/p View Post
I am fairly certain that a marriage between two men,
even though legal in mexico, would not be recognized
as a legal union in the United States - so nothing has really
changed here.
Even in Mass? I think it would be recognized here.

I think it says something when our neighbors to the north and south both recognize gay marriage- as does many European nations.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2006, 02:50 AM

Considering how few people are actually gay, and how maybe only 1/2 of them would get married, I don't see what the big deal is. It's not like gay marriage is symptomatic of social collapse.

Salty
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2006, 10:51 PM

Dude, we have gay marriage up here. I'd much sooner stay up here than move down to Mexico. We have it nation wide. The only reason I'd consider going south would be if things worked out with an American guy who is close with his family and actually wants to stay living close to them.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2006, 10:56 PM

I bet they have much better Mexican food down there.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2006, 10:59 PM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6147010.stm
They're about to have legalized gay marriage in South Africa!?!

15 years ago that country was one of the most hateful, despotic, dehumanizing places in which to live . . . and now they are approving gay marriage. Jesus, what the hell is wrong with us here in the West? How can a democracy only 15-years-young be so much further ahead in terms of their social policies. Excellent!
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Salty
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2006, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6147010.stm
They're about to have legalized gay marriage in South Africa!?!

15 years ago that country was one of the most hateful, despotic, dehumanizing places in which to live . . . and now they are approving gay marriage. Jesus, what the hell is wrong with us here in the West? How can a democracy only 15-years-young be so much further ahead in terms of their social policies. Excellent!
been to family.org recently?

Meet James Dobson, Satan's hand puppet when it comes to manipulating the Church towards treating gays like crap.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2006, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
been to family.org recently?

Meet James Dobson, Satan's hand puppet when it comes to manipulating the Church towards treating gays like crap.
You know you're going to gay-hell for that

-t

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2006, 11:27 PM

Dude, we have gay marriage up here. I'd much sooner stay up here than move down to Mexico. We have it nation wide. The only reason I'd consider going south would be if things worked out with an American guy who is close with his family and actually wants to stay living close to them.
Iran will have gay marriage before it becomes legal nationwide in the U.S.

Salty
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2006, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck View Post
You know you're going to gay-hell for that

-t
TULIP my friend, TULIP.

Total Depravity
Unconditional Election
Limited Atonement
Irresistible Grace
Preservation of the Saints

I can't go to hell. I can go to the best dressed part of heaven though.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2006, 01:15 AM

Hey Salty, still trying to get out of Canada ?

-t
You aren't really up to date on the current events are you?

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 15, 2006, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
Considering how few people are actually gay, and how maybe only 1/2 of them would get married, I don't see what the big deal is. It's not like gay marriage is symptomatic of social collapse.
Some would get married "For the cause" but not really think much about the marriage other than that. But you are right. It would probably make up 1 to 4% of the marriages. And that is stretching it.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2006, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
How can a democracy only 15-years-young be so much further ahead in terms of their social policies. Excellent!
That's a rhetorical question... right? I think people forget how puritanical the U.S. really is. Americans are some of the most uptight people when it comes to anything related to sex. It was a Democrat that signed the Defence of Marriage Act into law. I've all but given up hope when it comes to being able to live my life in an equal setting in the U.S.

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Some would get married "For the cause" but not really think much about the marriage other than that.
That's a cynical viewpoint. I say you might be able to find a few that get married just because then can... but I would hope that if gays ever win the right to get married they will at least take is as seriously as straights do. But then more than have of straight marriages end in divorce... so the outlook isn't that great.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2006, 11:08 AM

TULIP my friend, TULIP.

Total Depravity
Unconditional Election
Limited Atonement
Irresistible Grace

Isn't Calvinism convenient.

How do you know you are elect ?

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2006, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
You aren't really up to date on the current events are you?
Glad you are on top of Salty's life

-t

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2006, 11:10 AM

Glad you are on top of Salty's--
STOP!

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2006, 11:31 AM

TULIP my friend, TULIP.

Total Depravity
Unconditional Election
Limited Atonement
Irresistible Grace

Are they still teaching that stuff? Calvin was wrong. Oh so wrong.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2006, 11:33 AM

I dunno, but the level of arrogance on 'I can't go to hell' betrays the possibility for serious character flaws.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 15, 2006, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
That's a cynical viewpoint. I say you might be able to find a few that get married just because then can...
well sure. I never said otherwise.

Salty
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2006, 03:24 PM

Each of the 5 points of Calvinism can be arrived at with basic logic. I find it really funny that any of you honestly think that. Reformed theology is a beautiful thing for the most part.

As for the arrogance of I can't go to hell, it's actually the most humble thing, it recognizes that complete lack of control that I have over my own destiny now that my life belongs to God. The fact is that I can't exercise any meaningful control over where I end up, that is all left up to God.

As for how do you know you're elect? That really doesn't even factor into things. You're elect if you've accepted Christ. You were always elect but at that point where you accept forgiveness and make Christ Lord of your life, you've proven your election. It's actually more of a question of can you ever know if you're not elect? And the answer is not until after you're dead.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2006, 04:43 PM

As for how do you know you're elect? That really doesn't even factor into things. You're elect if you've accepted Christ. You were always elect but at that point where you accept forgiveness and make Christ Lord of your life, you've proven your election. It's actually more of a question of can you ever know if you're not elect? And the answer is not until after you're dead.
The concept of election is incredibly offensive. It puts forth the idea that God chose who goes to heaven and who goes to hell, therefore implying that God is sick and twisted and merely toying with us. It destroys the concept of free will. You don't "accept" Christ, you merely play out the script in the play that God wrote for you. There is no point to life or anything else under such a theology - we're actors in a play. There is no need for evangelism or pastors or anything else - if you're "elect", you'll end up in heaven regardless of anything that anyone else does. We may as well all do whatever we please, because we have no participation in the relationship with God.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2006, 04:47 PM

You're elect if you've accepted Christ. You were always elect but at that point where you accept forgiveness and make Christ Lord of your life, you've proven your election.
Closet Arminian, aren't you ?

So, did you have free will or not ?

-t

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2006, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
But then more than have of straight marriages end in divorce... so the outlook isn't that great.
Sources? This myth has been debunked already. And bad practitioners of a good institution are not a good reason to throw out the institution.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2006, 04:57 PM

TULIP my friend, TULIP.

Total Depravity
Unconditional Election
Limited Atonement
Irresistible Grace

I think you mean TDUELAIGPotS?
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Salty
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2006, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
The concept of election is incredibly offensive. It puts forth the idea that God chose who goes to heaven and who goes to hell, therefore implying that God is sick and twisted and merely toying with us. It destroys the concept of free will. You don't "accept" Christ, you merely play out the script in the play that God wrote for you. There is no point to life or anything else under such a theology - we're actors in a play. There is no need for evangelism or pastors or anything else - if you're "elect", you'll end up in heaven regardless of anything that anyone else does. We may as well all do whatever we please, because we have no participation in the relationship with God.
Way to pretend Calvinism is Hyper Calvinism.

Think of it this way, you will only ever react one way in any given circumstance. You and I can't know what that is, but God in His infinite knowledge and intelligence already at the creation of the world even if he did not know the future by being to look directly at what was coming, would still have known the future because he would have known what the consequences of every minimal reaction in the world would be.
Unless you take the view that God never interferes with humanity at all, IE never answers prayer never does super natural deeds, then in acting even once in the course of a person's life, he has set their life on a course other than that which it would have gone on naturally. Thus God has chosen a different destiny for that person other than the one they would have been on.
You can not think that God interacts with us with the same amount of ignorance as you interact with others. By very basic reasoning and knowledge you come to this conclusion.
There are still things for the elect to do, but God already knew who would accept Him when Christ died.

The concept of free will as promoted in ignorance by many, is not actually promoted within the BIblical text. It's simply a later convention that makes people feel as if they're in control of their own lives. But quite frankly even on a basic level I'm not in control of my life. I could get kicked out of school tomorrow for a stupid reason and have no recourse and no way of forcing my life down the previous path I desired. You get to chose how you will react in any given circumstance, so you're still very much capable for your actions. But at the same time God very often will put you in situations where He already knows what you're going to do.
God is not cruel, or twisted, He is however far greater than you or I, and holding Him to the same standards we would hold one another to is foolish and arrogant.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2006, 07:01 PM

^^^ Gotta love how people abuse Calvinism to justify a victim mentality

-t

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2006, 07:18 PM

Way to pretend Calvinism is Hyper Calvinism.

Think of it this way, you will only ever react one way in any given circumstance. You and I can't know what that is, but God in His infinite knowledge and intelligence already at the creation of the world even if he did not know the future by being to look directly at what was coming, would still have known the future because he would have known what the consequences of every minimal reaction in the world would be.
Unless you take the view that God never interferes with humanity at all, IE never answers prayer never does super natural deeds, then in acting even once in the course of a person's life, he has set their life on a course other than that which it would have gone on naturally. Thus God has chosen a different destiny for that person other than the one they would have been on.
You can not think that God interacts with us with the same amount of ignorance as you interact with others. By very basic reasoning and knowledge you come to this conclusion.
There are still things for the elect to do, but God already knew who would accept Him when Christ died.

The concept of free will as promoted in ignorance by many, is not actually promoted within the BIblical text. It's simply a later convention that makes people feel as if they're in control of their own lives. But quite frankly even on a basic level I'm not in control of my life. I could get kicked out of school tomorrow for a stupid reason and have no recourse and no way of forcing my life down the previous path I desired. You get to chose how you will react in any given circumstance, so you're still very much capable for your actions. But at the same time God very often will put you in situations where He already knows what you're going to do.
God is not cruel, or twisted, He is however far greater than you or I, and holding Him to the same standards we would hold one another to is foolish and arrogant.
Blah ****ing blah!

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 16, 2006, 07:18 PM

^^^ Gotta love how people abuse Calvinism to justify a victim mentality

-t
Salty is basing his religious beliefs based on his social ones instead of vice versa.

ends to justify the means.

Salty
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2006, 08:06 PM

What?! A victim mentality? I don't consider myself a victim. Nor did I find calvinism made sense based on any social beliefs. Are you talking about me being gay? I've been a calvinist for longer than I would even admit that I was gay to myself.

Pierre Capretz II
Nov 16, 2006, 08:08 PM

gay sex and mexican food don't seem compatible. Will the gays overcome the challenges that the fajita may present?

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2006, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Pierre Capretz II View Post
gay sex and mexican food don't seem compatible
Oh really?
YouTube link

Pierre Capretz II
Nov 16, 2006, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
Oh really?
YouTube link
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAA!!!

there goes my theory.

AC Slater, Ftw.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2006, 11:56 PM

Don't confuse foreknowledge with predestination. They're very different.

Not sure what the point of this paragraph is.

The concept of free will as promoted in ignorance by many, is not actually promoted within the BIblical text. It's simply a later convention that makes people feel as if they're in control of their own lives.
We either have free will, or we're puppets. Are you saying we're puppets?

But quite frankly even on a basic level I'm not in control of my life. I could get kicked out of school tomorrow for a stupid reason and have no recourse and no way of forcing my life down the previous path I desired. You get to chose how you will react in any given circumstance, so you're still very much capable for your actions. But at the same time God very often will put you in situations where He already knows what you're going to do.
Don't confuse foreknowledge with predestination. The fact that God knows what you're going to do is very different from God deciding what you're going to do.

If God made the decision about who was going to heaven and who was going to hell, then God is cruel and twisted. It's as simple as that. Why does God purport to want us to love Him, when He's the one making the decisions to love Him? You can't force someone to love you - that's not love.

If you believe in election, why are you bothering to go into the ministry? The people that were going to heaven will find their way there without your help. There isn't any need for evangelism because you're not going to convert the lost - God already decided those people were going to hell. Do you think that your efforts can change God's election?

Election and predestination don't make any sense at all. None. If they're teaching you that gibberish in school, leave and go to another school. Christianity is a wonderful thing - don't let it be ruined by that stuff.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2006, 11:52 PM

I was always more of a Hobbes fan than a Calvin fan. Though to be honest, I never really understood how anyone could make a philosophy out of a comic strip. I guess they'll make a philosophy or religion out of anything these days.

Damn kids with their new fangled religions and philosophies. Back in my day you only had the Quakers and the Shakers. Now one is making oat meal and one is into 'Do it yourself' baking. And I for one, am not going to help.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 19, 2006, 12:20 AM

December 1st is coming, Chilangoville will be in chaos.

Forum Links
Forum Rules