Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 8 Core Mac Pro idle Power Consumption 400+W?

8 Core Mac Pro idle Power Consumption 400+W?
[email protected]
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2007, 09:49 PM

Hi All,

Anyone else see really high power consumptions on the 8 core Mac Pros? I've got an UPS with a built in LCD and between the 8 core and the 30" display they sucking up very close to 500W while idle. I think the 30" sucks up "only" 80W, so that leaves 410-420W just for the Mac Pro. Anyone else seeing this high power usage on the 8 core machines?

Wouldn't bother me so much if the machine would just sleep when its supposed to, but that's a problem for another post.

Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 5, 2007, 10:13 PM

(Assuming that a power supply doesn't always use the power its capacity is noted as, and that the more you plug into a computer, the more power she'll use up...)

Do you have lots of extras inside the machine? 2 optical drives, all 4 hard drives, extra PCI-Express cards? Hard drives will suck 10-20 watts a piece, I'm not sure about optical (if they suck any power when not in use... above a watt?), and it certainly depends on which graphic(s) card you have, and other PCI-Express cards.

How about other little extras that need power, do you have wi-fi going all the time, bluetooth on and "discoverable", and do you have any usb bus powered or firewire bus powered devices connected?
yep.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 5, 2007, 10:54 PM

The 30" ACD can consume up to 150W... try unplugging it to see what just the Mac Pro uses.

300-450W 'at the wall' at idle sounds about right depending on system configuration. When did you buy your Mac Pro? The newer 65nm G0 stepping quad Xeons cut idle power consumption in half compared to the launch 65nm B3 stepping quads (25W vs 50W per CPU), but I'm not sure when or if Apple switched to the newer stepping.

ewrhkg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2007, 07:43 PM

Yea, that's about right. When I check on my UPC, it reads about high 400s to 560s watt. I have 4 hds in the 8 cores mac pro and a 30" dell.

Forum Links
Forum Rules