Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Professor Gates vs. Sgt. Crowley

View Poll Results: What do you thinks this situation was about?
Poll Options:
Cop straight up racial profiling 5 votes (10.42%)
Cop with an attitude about being questioned 21 votes (43.75%)
Professor with an attitude about being questioned 23 votes (47.92%)
Professor straight up playing the race card 27 votes (56.25%)
A "He Said/She Said" situation 12 votes (25.00%)
Race perhaps a component but not the dominant factor 10 votes (20.83%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll
Professor Gates vs. Sgt. Crowley
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2009, 01:58 PM

Unless one has been living under a rock for the last week by now we've all been made aware of the controversial arrest of Harvard Professor Gates in Cambridge, MA on a "disorderly conduct" charge. What do you think this was all about and why?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 23, 2009, 02:25 PM

Obviously, it's a racial issue.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2009, 02:26 PM

I checked everything except the "straight up" responses.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 23, 2009, 02:27 PM

I checked nothing.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 23, 2009, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Do.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2009, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I checked nothing.
Liar.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2009, 03:03 PM

If the cop had just shared his name and badge number none of this would have happened.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2009, 03:08 PM

Oh, I didn't realize you had access to the "What If" machine.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2009, 03:41 PM

First four FTW!

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2009, 03:43 PM

Aren't we supposed to be fighting about this now, or...something?

pooka
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2009, 04:09 PM

I'd say the entire thing is a ****ing joke. I can say with confidence that I've probably been arrested more times than anyone on this forum and I can assure you that Gates got off easy. As for who's right, whether race played a part, yada, yada, yada, I don't know. All I know for certain is that it must be nice to live in Cambridge where a white or black man can mouth off to a cop and not get the **** kicked out of them. For god's sake, I hope they still slap women around.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

pooka
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2009, 04:11 PM

oh, and skateboarders. **** I can't stand them.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2009, 04:26 PM

Obama shouldn't have stuck his nose in it, that's for sure. Saying that the cops "acted stupidly", while at the same time saying that he doesn't have all of the facts, is (to borrow from the president) acting stupidly.

Obama stirs racial passions in Harvard case | Reuters

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2009, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by pooka View Post
For god's sake, I hope they still slap women around.
Who? Black men, or the cops?

*crickets*

*runs*

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2009, 04:32 PM

Or Harvard professors?

OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2009, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
As did I. My thoughts on this situation ....

1. The neighbor who called 911 said there were "two black males with backpacks on the porch" trying to break in. Interesting considering how neither Professor Gates nor his driver had backpacks. And that she didn't recognize her neighbor who is one of the most recognizable figures at Harvard. But whatever. It was dark and likely at a distance. Good job on her part for reporting suspicious activity.

2. Good job for the police responding within 5 minutes in the well-to-do Cambridge neighborhood. Only wish they had a similar response time in nearby Roxbury for such situations.

3. Just as a backgrounder, Prof. Gates is by no stretch of the imagination some "fire-breathing, radical, black nationalist" type. He is one of the most prominent intellectuals in America and has a stellar reputation. To describe him as "mild mannered" would be an understatement. He is also bi-racial as is President Obama. He was married for over two decades to a white woman and had part white children with her. Definitely not the stereotypical "angry black man with a chip on his shoulder towards white people" kind of guy.

4. Prof. Gates enters his home through the back and tries to open the front door but it's still stuck. He goes back around to the front and he and his driver force the door open. The driver takes in the professor's bags and leaves. Sgt. Crowley arrived and saw the front door still open. He sees Prof. Gates, an older gentleman who walks with a cane, in the kitchen on the phone. Instead of asking something to the effect of "Is everything alright here sir? We received a call about a possible break-in." .... he immediately demanded that Prof. Gates "step outside". Now common sense ought to tell you that an old guy with a limp, talking on the phone with the front door open is not the best M.O. if he was a burglar. Everything about his demeanor and behavior indicated he lived there. But he orders Prof. Gates to step outside nevertheless. Definitely questionable IMO.

5. Prof. Gates refuses to step outside ... especially since Sgt. Crowley didn't initially explain why he was there. A wise move on his part. Police are known to lure you outside because if they are inclined to arrest you they can simply do it outside with little to no repercussion. To arrest you inside your home would require a warrant, which of course, Sgt. Crowley did not have.

6. Sgt. Crowley enters Prof. Gate's home ... uninvited. Demands identification. What is said after that is a bunch of "he said/she said" sh*t. What is known for sure is that Prof. Gates showed him his Harvard ID and his drivers license inside the house. Both of which were picture IDs with his address on it. So the million dollar question to me is why wasn't that the end of it? Right then and there? Instead of "Sorry to bother you sir. Have a good evening." ... Sgt. Crowley continues to play "20 questions". I could even understand if he had asked "Is there anyone else in the house?" or "Would you like me to go with you to make sure no one else is here?" ... but he didn't do that. He continues to question Prof. Gates in a manner that led the professor to conclude that he simply didn't believe he was in his own house. Despite the proof that had already been shown. Prof. Gates is upset at this point (according to both sides of the story) and refuses to answer any more questions. Instead he demands Sgt. Crowley's name and badge number. What is said after that is a bunch of "he said/she said" sh*t as well.

7. Sgt. Crowley walks outside. Prof. Gates follows him. Not a good move on the Professor's part (see # 5 above). "He said/she said" sh*t ensues. Prof. Gates says he asked another officer for Sgt. Crowley's name and badge number. Sgt. Crowley says Prof. Gate's exhibited "loud and tumultuous" behavior. Who knows? One thing to consider though is that in subsequent interviews Prof. Gates indicated that he came down with severe bronchitis on his trip to China (where he was researching the genealogy of Yo Yo Ma for his renowned PBS series BTW) and he couldn't have yelled at the officer if he wanted to. And he has hospital records to prove it. In any event, Prof. Gates is promptly arrested as soon as he steps out of his house on a "disorderly conduct" charge. A charge that is generally defined as .....

A person who recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally:

(1) engages in fighting or in tumultuous conduct;
(2) makes unreasonable noise and continues to do so after being asked to stop; or
(3) disrupts a lawful assembly of persons;

commits disorderly conduct.
Which, of course, Prof. Gates did not do even according to the police report. Even if Prof. Gates was yelling at Sgt. Crowley according to the police report he was never asked to stop and his conduct was by no means "tumultuous". But hey ... "disorderly conduct" is what police often charge you with when they have nothing on you but want to arrest you anyway because they feel like it.

8. Prof. Gates somehow contacts his attorney. He's booked and sits in jail for 4 hours and is then released. Within a day or so the Cambridge police drops all charges against Prof. Gates.

9. The mayor of Cambridge apologizes to Prof. Gates and said she is going to meet with the city's police chief to make sure the scenario that caused the arrest of a prominent black Harvard University professor does not happen again.

10. President Obama was questioned about the incident at the end of his Health Care Reform press conference last night .... a completely off-topic question that IMO would not have been asked if he were white. Regardless, his response is ...

Originally Posted by President Obama
Well, I should say at the outset that Skip Gates is a friend, so I may be a little biased here. I don't know all the facts. What's been reported, though, is that the guy forgot his keys. He jimmied his way to get into the house. There was a report called into the police station that there might be a burglary taking place. so far so good. Right? I mean, if I was trying to jigger in -- well, I guess this is my house now so it probably wouldn't happen. Let's say my old house in Chicago. here I'd get shot. But so far so good. They're reporting, the police are doing what they should. There's a call. They go investigate what happens. My understanding is at that point Professor Gates is already in his house. The police officer comes in. I'm sure there's some exchange of words but my understanding is that Professor Gates then shows his I.D. to show that this is his house. And at that point he gets arrested for disorderly conduct, charges which are later dropped. Now, I don't know, not having been there and not seeing all the facts what role race played in that, but I think it's fair to say, number one, any of us would be pretty angry. Number two, that the Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting somebody when there was already proof that they were in their own home and, number three, what I think we know separate and apart from this incident is that there is a long history in this country of African-Americans and Latinos being stopped by law enforcement disproportionately. And that's just a fact.
11. True to form, the Republican party is trying to twist President Obama's words and claim he called the officer "stupid". Whatever.

12. Prof. Gates has indicated he will do a documentary or something to that effect that highlights how racial profiling is still an serious issue in the US. He has also demanded an apology from Sgt. Crowley. He may end up suing the Cambridge police department. Sgt. Crowley insists he did nothing wrong. Absolutely refuses to apologize. The Cambridge police union spokesman unequivocally backs Sgt. Crowley. Despite the criticism, President Obama stands by his statement.

In a week or so this will all likely blow over and drop out of the headlines. Definitely when the Michael Jackson autopsy results are released.

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Jul 23, 2009 at 05:13 PM. )

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2009, 04:56 PM

Here is the report. It sounds like Gates was combative from the get go.
Henry Louis Gates, Jr. Police Report - July 23, 2009

JULY 23--Here are the police reports detailing the confrontation last week between Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates, Jr. and Cambridge cops, who were condemned last night by President Barack Obama for acting "stupidly" in arresting the African-American scholar. Cops responded to Gates's house after neighbor Lucia Whalen reported spotting "two black males with backpacks" trying to gain entry to the home (Gates, returning home from a trip overseas, and his driver were contending with a stuck front door). The Cambridge Police Department reports, authored by Sergeant James Crowley and Officer James Figueroa, quote an incensed Gates yelling, "This is what happens to black men in America!," and, when asked by Crowley to speak with him outside the residence, Gates replied, "ya, I'll speak with your mama outside." A disorderly conduct rap was filed against Gates, but quickly dropped by prosecutors. Gates is reportedly considering legal action against the Cambridge police. (3 pages)
5. Prof. Gates refuses to step outside ... especially since Sgt. Crowley didn't explain why he was there. A wise move on his part. Police are known to lure you outside because if they are inclined to arrest you they can simply do it outside with little to no repercussion. To arrest you inside your home would require a warrant, which of course, Sgt. Crowley did not have.
On page, two the officer states who he was and why he was there.
( Last edited by Chongo; Jul 23, 2009 at 05:03 PM. )
45/47

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2009, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Here is the report. It sounds like Gates was combative from the get go.
Henry Louis Gates, Jr. Police Report - July 23, 2009
So a man in his own house is combatative towards a police officer in his foyer, and after providing proof that he is in his own house, he is arrested for allegedly yelling at the officer when he steps on the porch?

greg

OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2009, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Here is the report. It sounds like Gates was combative from the get go..
Hence the "he said/she said" nature of the situation. Sgt. Crowley says one thing in the police report. Prof. Gates says the police report shows that Sgt. Crowley has a "broad imagination". That's why I highlighted certain things in my comments above because those basically represent the facts that aren't in dispute.

OAW

raf66
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2009, 05:13 PM

Sounds like there were several witnesses, including another police officer who appears to be of hispanic descent, who will be able to corroborate the officer's version of events. Sounds like a case of simple "race-bating": I'm black and you're white so therefore you cannot arrest me, unless of course you are racist. Here's an idea: a black alleged offender can only be arrested by a black police officer; white officers must arrest ONLY white alleged offenders; hispanic police officers must arrest . . . and on and on. The offender is probably of the similar mindset that you can't disagree with Obama without being a racist. When will this nonsense end.

finboy
Jul 23, 2009, 05:28 PM

The whole thing stinks, and what Obama said wasn't out of line. But he shouldn't have said anything unless he wanted to get smacked with it.

Gates doesn't need to do a documentary, most of us know about "driving while black." It happens. It also happens, though, if you drive at the wrong times of day or drive old cars, or if you don't know your neighbors.

One thing that keeps getting left out here is the officer's duty to the citizen who called in -- he's EXPECTED TO pursue this to make sure things are OK. He can't just walk away until he's figured out what's going on. Otherwise, the lady who called in has wasted HER time trying to prevent a crime.

Crowley needs to apologize, as does Gates. They need to sit down and have a meal together and work this out.

I've always heard, as an aside, that Boston and NEng in general was a racist place, from different friends (of color) of mine who've worked or travelled there repeatedly. So bias there shouldn't be a surprise, and maybe people of color are more primed to react to ANY rough treatment, no matter how innocuous.

OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2009, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by raf66 View Post
Sounds like there were several witnesses, including another police officer who appears to be of hispanic descent, who will be able to corroborate the officer's version of events. Sounds like a case of simple "race-bating":
Perhaps. Though I would question that ....

1. Most of the encounter took place in the house where only Prof. Gates and Sgt. Crowley were.

2. Cops generally back other cops. Right or wrong.

3. And even if Prof. Gates was yelling at Sgt. Crowley (which given his medical condition he very well may not have been) at the end of the day that is NOT a crime. It's definitely not a smart thing to do for sure. But police officers are TRAINED to keep their cool and defuse tense situations. Which certainly did not happen here.

OAW

OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2009, 05:52 PM

More from the President in response to the controversy surrounding his comments yesterday .....

President Obama today stood by his comments that the Cambridge, Mass., police department acted "stupidly" in its arrest of Henry Louis Gates, telling ABC News that the Harvard University professor should not have been arrested.

President says he doesn't regret his criticism of Cambridge police department.
"I have to say I am surprised by the controversy surrounding my statement, because I think it was a pretty straightforward commentary that you probably don't need to handcuff a guy, a middle-aged man who uses a cane, who's in his own home," Obama said.

In an exclusive interview with ABC's Terry Moran to air on "Nightline" tonight, Obama said it doesn't make sense to him that the situation escalated to the point that Gates was arrested.

"I think that I have extraordinary respect for the difficulties of the job that police officers do," the president told Moran. "And my suspicion is that words were exchanged between the police officer and Mr. Gates and that everybody should have just settled down and cooler heads should have prevailed. That's my suspicion."
Obama Defends Cambridge Police Criticism in Henry Louis Gates Arrest - ABC News

Well said!

OAW

pooka
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2009, 06:10 PM

Awe, bullshit. If he had said "All parties acted stupidly" I'd MAYBE give him the thumbs up. **** that. With videos of cops tasing people every day for acting like jackasses during routine traffic stops, this **** is such a non-issue.

Gee-Man
Senior User
Jul 23, 2009, 08:03 PM

I don't think this was straight-up racism. I do think that the cop should have wound down the situation as soon as he was shown proof that the man was in his own home, but instead he tried to "pull rank" and ask a bunch of stupid leading questions, then was surprised when Gates gave him attitude about it.

If a cop was standing inside my house asking dumb questions that strongly imply that it's not my house, even when he's already seen the proof, I'd be pretty pissed too. I might not argue with him, but then again, I'm not a nationally-known professor at Harvard, I don't have the sense of entitlement that privilege brings (that's a good thing, folks - people should be proud of their accomplishments). It's not surprising that things escalated, but the cop is supposed to be in control, he could have stopped this long before that point.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2009, 08:57 PM

Professor with an attitude about being questioned

The Professor stupidly failed to have the means of getting into his own home. The home had been broken into earlier in the week. The neighbor did exactly what you'd want a neighbor to do. Police show up to the scene, but not just any cop; one who was hand-picked by a black police commissioner to teach recruits on how to effectively avoid racial profiling. Crowley tells Gates who he is, why he's there, and asks him to step outside. There are several reasons for this including ensuring he is not being held or coaxed. A tirade of filth spews from Gates' mouth about Crowley, Crowley's mother, The Cambridge Police, racism... basically;

A person who recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally:

(1) engages in fighting or in tumultuous conduct;
(2) makes unreasonable noise and continues to do so after being asked to stop; or
commits disorderly conduct.
(thanks OAW)

Professor, tired from a long trip and having stupidly failed to have a key to his own home, simply reacts in a way that while we might understand would expect better. A major attitude about being questioned.

Obama should've shown a little more of that tamed pragmatist and not kneejerk in defense of a man who acted, well... elitist, disorderly, and all-around foolishly.
ebuddy

andi*pandi
Jul 23, 2009, 09:53 PM

Whole thing: stupid. Professor was out of the gate rude and insulting to the officer. He should admit it.

And it would be nice if every report on it didn't somehow turn into a plug for Prof Gates next book/specialty burger/documentary. Yes yes, he just got back from China, and he is Very Important. We get it. Even though most of us have never heard of him before this.

Do you know who I am? No sir, I do not.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 23, 2009, 10:12 PM

Eh, once the Professor proved it was his home, and that he was who he said he was, the police had no right, or reason to arrest him. Shockingly enough, seems as though the party lines have been drawn on this subject.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2009, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by TheWOAT View Post
Eh, once the Professor proved it was his home, and that he was who he said he was, the police had no right, or reason to arrest him. Shockingly enough, seems as though the party lines have been drawn on this subject.
B-b-b-ut he hurt the police officer's feelings!

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 23, 2009, 10:23 PM

If this were a public place, or a situation that required order (or a large gathering of hippies), Id completely understand police arresting someone who was rude to them... but the guy was on his own property, and cops no longer had any reason to be there. I generally give cops the benefit of the doubt, they have a tough job and it takes GUTS to chase after convicts, gang members, parolees, etc etc that are armed and dangerous...(I dont know about Cambridge, Mass, but thats what they do here in Salinas, CA) but they should also cut this guy some slack and walk away... We are talking about a puny, frail, old guy here. That said, "man with too many names" Jr. isnt a saint in this matter, and his ego is probably into Keith Hernandez territory.

ApertureValue
Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2009, 10:34 PM

I'm tired of personally and through secondary sources seeing the race card bull$hit. I'm glad I retired from public servitude this year, because it was becoming a bit of an issue here as well, even though there's a relatively small "minority population."

It seems there is a rise in the sentiment that if you're of a race other than caucasian, you're owed something. I don't owe anybody anything they're not already entitled to just by being human and receiving my basic human generosity. I'm a kind person and will be generous no matter what race, color, religion or sexual preference you happen to affiliate with, but when the attitude flares up which screams that I should pay penance for the actions of my forefathers or some equally inane drivel, I take exception to that.

IMHO, this is one of THOSE cases. But, I wasn't there, so I cannot speak with any amount of precise actual knowledge on the subject.
MacBook Pro 2.66GHz | iPhone 3G | 
Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 18-135mm IS | 580EXII

Flickr
Tome Curator

OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2009, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
Professor with an attitude about being questioned

The Professor stupidly failed to have the means of getting into his own home. The home had been broken into earlier in the week.
Hmmmmm … at no point did Prof. Gates not have the means to get into his home. Foolishly or otherwise. The door was jammed. If he didn't have the means to get inside the how did he go around back and use his key on that door?

Furthermore, at no point has Prof. Gates said his home was burglarized earlier that week. Seen a few bloggers claim that but no news reports so far. Would love to see your source for that if you have one. But considering how spectacularly incorrect you were about him "foolishly not having the means to get in his house" I won't hold my breath.

OAW

lexapro
Baninated
Jul 23, 2009, 11:22 PM

You ought to see the very interesting pictures being posted on the walls of Harvard this week. Very not sympathetic of the Cambridge PD.

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 23, 2009, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
More from the President in response to the controversy surrounding his comments yesterday .....

Obama Defends Cambridge Police Criticism in Henry Louis Gates Arrest - ABC News

Well said!

OAW
Bull crap. The President acted "stupidly" with his comments about a local situation that he doesn't have all the facts (and yes is friends with the accused) and the Professor acted "stupidly" with his rants from the get go. This is the kind of stuff that really upsets me.

I worked in a prison setting for a number of years. There was (and I'm sure still is) a double standard regarding allegations of racism. It's simple: apply the rules to one group will result in calls of racism depending on your race. White staff were "racists" when dealing with black inmates and black staff were "racist" when dealing with white inmates. It was a bull$hit job then sucks to hear about it now.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 23, 2009, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by placebo1969 View Post
Bull crap. The President acted "stupidly" with his comments about a local situation that he doesn't have all the facts (and yes is friends with the accused) and the Professor acted "stupidly" with his rants from the get go. This is the kind of stuff that really upsets me.

I worked in a prison setting for a number of years. There was (and I'm sure still is) a double standard regarding allegations of racism. It's simple: apply the rules to one group will result in calls of racism depending on your race. White staff were "racists" when dealing with black inmates and black staff were "racist" when dealing with white inmates. It was a bull$hit job then sucks to hear about it now.
Dude, its Cambridge Mass were are talkin about, not a prison.

Was Obama dumb? maybe. Gates? sure. The Cops? YES!!!

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2009, 12:06 AM

It just sounds to me like a battle of egos by two "stupid" men and a president who spoke without knowing all the facts. Three people who all acted stupidly.

Racial Profiling is still a problem and the police still have hard jobs. Although this is not an example of racial profiling and the cop was probably out of line for arresting a man in his own yard. Gates was also out of line for acting like a jackass toward a cop who was responding to a legitimate call. Not much to see here.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 24, 2009, 12:07 AM

My point it that it's easy to point the finger of racism at someone. And once the accusation is made, it's hard to dispel.

How the hell were the police dumb. I'm sure you read the report. Do you not believe what the Sergeant wrote?

It's easy to say that not arresting the Professor would have quieted things down, but I don't buy it. The Professor would be still make just a big a stink about it.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 24, 2009, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
It just sounds to me like a battle of egos by two "stupid" men and a president who spoke without knowing all the facts. Three people who all acted stupidly.
I can agree with that. Threads over.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 24, 2009, 12:22 AM

Oh wait, Crowley did CPR on a black basketball star? Case closed, its Gates' fault.

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 24, 2009, 12:28 AM

Oh wait, Crowley did CPR on a black basketball star? Case closed, its Gates' fault.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2009, 12:33 AM

Not only that, mouth to mouth. Practically homosexual. His tolerance is almost superhuman.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2009, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post

Racial Profiling is still a problem and the police still have hard jobs. Although this is not an example of racial profiling and the cop was probably out of line for arresting a man in his own yard. Gates was also out of line for acting like a jackass toward a cop who was responding to a legitimate call. Not much to see here.
Sounds like a pretty accurate wrap-up to me.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 24, 2009, 12:42 AM

Swappin spit is unimpeachable evidence of not being a racist.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2009, 07:16 AM

Here's a cop who has a history of NOT engaging in racist actions, doing a "by the book" investigation.

Police are not required to give a detailed explanation of their investigation before getting cooperation from witnesses, yet the officer answered Gate's questions while he was being abusive. In order for law enforcement officers to be able to do their jobs, Mr. Gates and everyone else are required to comply with reasonable requests made by the police in order to ensure their safety and their ability to conclude their investigative tasks. Mr. Gates refused, verbally attacked the officer in question, and refused to stop verbally attacking the officer outside his home in view of somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 people. As it's been explained, both police officers and those outside Mr. Gates home back-up what is stated in the police report.

The officer in question did not act against Gates until Gates continued to shout and verbally assault the officer when he left his home, even as the officer warned him TWICE that the abusive behavior he was engaging in was "becoming disorderly". It was at that time Gate was arrested. Not because the officer was properly investigating a call about a break-in to a home that had been previously broken into (as the police report states Gates told the officer), but because Gates refused to stop shouting and verbally abusing an officer of the law in a public place after being warned that his behavior was becoming disorderly. I GUARANTEE you that if a white person did the same to the cops in the same situation, they TOO would be arrested for disorderly conduct. That is why most everyone complies with the requests of police officers and don't shout and yell at them when they are properly doing their job.

The only way this has anything to do with "race" is that Gates has an angry chip on his shoulder about being black and allowed that irrationality to get the better of him, causing him to be disorderly in public and make a scene against someone who was doing their job correctly.

Gates has no business teaching students about race relations when he's part of the problem, not part of the solution, IMO. He has little credibility given his behavior in my opinion, and neither does the President who was talking out his @zz about stuff he wasn't even informed about.
( Last edited by stupendousman; Jul 24, 2009 at 07:23 AM. )

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2009, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by placebo1969 View Post
How the hell were the police dumb. I'm sure you read the report. Do you not believe what the Sergeant wrote?
Uhhh... no?

I mean, I don't know the guy, and he could be a stand-up dude. But I know police officers, and I've worked with the type of people who get arrested by them. And I have never, ever, once, ever, seen a police report that didn't embellish what happened, either to make the officer look better or the accused look worse.

Just putting that out there.

greg

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2009, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
Crowley needs to apologize, as does Gates. They need to sit down and have a meal together and work this out.
Truth.

Now all we need at this point is for someone to make a "fried chicken" joke. Anyone? Anyone? No?

andi*pandi
Jul 24, 2009, 09:34 AM

Cop who arrested black scholar is profiling expert
be sure to watch the video with officer crowley.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2009, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Uhhh... no?

I mean, I don't know the guy, and he could be a stand-up dude. But I know police officers, and I've worked with the type of people who get arrested by them. And I have never, ever, once, ever, seen a police report that didn't embellish what happened, either to make the officer look better or the accused look worse.

Just putting that out there.

greg
Third party witnesses not on the police force have corroborated what the police report states.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2009, 09:55 AM

Linkage?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2009, 10:50 AM

The police officer could have stopped the situation just by walking away but chose to escalate it further, and the charges were dropped almost immediately. Yeah, this sounds real legit. Why are people still defending the cop?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Forum Links
Forum Rules