Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Thanks for the push Steve!

Thanks for the push Steve!
fritzair
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2002, 07:05 PM

I just ordered my first PC, thought since I have to buy all new applications next year if I buy a Mac, why not try WindowsXP.
I will assemble my machine with all the components which I want- Video, USB 2.0, Serial ATA, DDR, Raid on the board,GeForce4, Huge case (the one with the window on the side), and a AMD 2000XP. $800. plus $41.00 delivery charge.

Thanks again Steve for saving me a whole bunch of dough.

Mike

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2002, 07:10 PM

On behalf of Steve, you're welcome. See ya, wouldn't wanna be ya!

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2002, 07:14 PM

It's one thing to have a decent argument for your decision, but if you want to just gloat about getting a PC, well, all I can say is - don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

ringo
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2002, 07:18 PM

Yay you, want a cookie?

fritzair  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2002, 07:26 PM

Originally posted by ::maroma:::
On behalf of Steve, you're welcome. See ya, wouldn't wanna be ya!
As the Steve man stands high above the crowd in a carnival atmosphere--
He says,"Empty your wallets folks, here comes the next new OS", he continues his speech with,
"Trust me it will be better, faster, cooler, don't worry about the money.'
As folks are seen reaching for their Ccards, Steve starts hitching up the wagon to the "Motorolas". The crown doesn't notice how sick they look.
Steve continues with,"As I've told you before, we are faster, just look at our numbers, and we have all these free applications, Iwrite, Ipaint."
"Trust me", he screamed, " we are really the best there is."
The "Motorolas" are looking really poor now, as the wagon is so full with all the Ccard slips.
As the night falls in Paris, a new announcement is made. OS 9 is dead. The "Motorolas" die and Steve appears with some friends , the Anderson brothers. He says they might help him spend 4 billion.
The crowd, many of them look just like you at MacNN forums, they are still waiting. If you listen carefully you can hear them say,"He's done this before, he'll be back".

fritzair  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2002, 07:32 PM

Originally posted by ringo:
Yay you, want a cookie?
Thanks. Can I have it any way I like it or do I have to ask Steve how I want it?

Mike

fritzair  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2002, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by starman:
It's one thing to have a decent argument for your decision, but if you want to just gloat about getting a PC, well, all I can say is - don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Mike
The argument is: price, feature set, and long term value. Steve doesn't know about this particular set.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2002, 07:45 PM

Originally posted by fritzair:
The argument is: price, feature set, and long term value. Steve doesn't know about this particular set.
Price - Well, if you want to talk about short-term value, PC's do win. But I'll revisit this later.

Feature set - The best feature in the world is worthless if it doesn't work right. And that's the problem with PC's.

Long-term value - Come back when the average useful life of a Mac isn't triple the average useful life of a PC. Then maybe I'll take you seriously on this one. I bought a TiBook last year, and by the time I get a new portable, you'll be starting to consider buying your fourth PC. Suddenly, things don't look so attractive on that side of the fence, do they? Nor as cheap.

I'll be the first to admit, Apple's been doing some serious price-gouging lately. And it isn't cool. But even with all they, they're still providing a better value. You just have to learn to look beyond the marketing.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

:XI:
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2002, 07:49 PM

I switched the other way (no� not male to female, or indeed, female to male) but from windows.
what did I get for my 'dough'?
1. Ease of use. Like the ads say, my mac just works. I screw it up occaisonaly but at least i know it's me
2. A great looking computer. Well, the Quicksilver may be old hat now, but's it's still damn good looking
3. A blowjob*. yes, chicks love macs!

*ok, so I lied about the blowjob ::shrug::

cheerios
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2002, 07:52 PM

dunno about you, xi, but I could argue I got sex when I switched...
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2002, 07:57 PM

WHO THE HELL IS THIS STEVE WE ALL TALK ABOUT?!?!

Anyway, why are you talking about your PC? This is a Mac form... Dude, I'm glad you're going to hell.

digimage
Banned
Sep 12, 2002, 08:04 PM

Oh Lookie! Another PC Troll with a little bitty peenie!!!

WOW! I haven't seen one of those for like... Oh I don't know... 10 hours?

So, tell us all about yourself, insult us all, spew lame ass garbage and then take you ball and go home, kk?

Actually, could you just go now?

swiz
GUI Punk
Sep 12, 2002, 08:11 PM

Its funny how you have sold your commitment to a superior OS for a cheaper setup and now you preach all the same crap the PC jagoffs have been for years. Be gone with ya!!!! Sellout!!! I dont care how cliche' that sounds lamer.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

anarkisst
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2002, 08:21 PM

You have won the basement dweller WinXP Award!

1. Image found at Google images search.
2. Edited in Photoshop 7
3. While listening to iTunes without a skip.
4. Uploaded with Transmit FTP while typing an email.
5. Typed message and image URL Macnn Forums and posted.
6. Yes, all on an iMac with OSX...in about ten minutes.

God, that was easy...

:XI:
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2002, 08:24 PM

I just ordered my first PC, thought since I have to buy all new applications next year if I buy a Mac, why not try WindowsXP.
I just noticed what this line actually says.
what are you using now? an Atari?

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2002, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by :XI::
3. A blowjob*. yes, chicks love macs!

Wow ... if a QuickSliver gets you a blowjob, then my Cube should get me laid! Hoo Hoo!

swiz
GUI Punk
Sep 12, 2002, 08:29 PM

Originally posted by driven:

Wow ... if a QuickSliver gets you a blowjob, then my Cube should get me laid! Hoo Hoo!
I can confirm this.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

L'enfanTerrible
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2002, 08:48 PM

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2002, 09:58 PM

oh another sheep came by...first pc? must be a kid

fat mac moron
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2002, 10:05 PM

Thanks. Can I have it any way I like it or do I have to ask Steve how I want it?

Mike
I hate to be the one who brings this up, but, ummm. You'll be using XP, ya know? Install Windows Media Player 9 Beta, then try to uninstall it. It won't.

You've been assimilated.

Hey, they're both monopolies, one in software, the other in hardware. I just chose the one with less viruses.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2002, 11:05 PM

Originally posted by fat mac moron:

I hate to be the one who brings this up, but, ummm. You'll be using XP, ya know? Install Windows Media Player 9 Beta, then try to uninstall it. It won't.

You've been assimilated.

Hey, they're both monopolies, one in software, the other in hardware. I just chose the one with less viruses.
Ah, yes. Poop all over WMP 9.

Does Apple have a multi-channel audio playback app?

No.

Have you heard the Halo trailer in 5.1?

No.

Look, piss all over Windows all you want, but try doing a little homework before doing so. I WISH Apple had the same technology as WMP 9. Hopefully QT 6.5 will.

Mike

amsalpemkcus
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2002, 11:22 PM

No.
Mike
Multichannel audio playback would be quite cacophonous, no? Just kidding, but here is something you may not know
http://www.apple.com/macosx/technologies/audio.html
just a matter of a few years now for os x to be a big hit in audio creation and playback, I will bet munny on it...
here is more to read:
http://www.apple.com/creative/musicaudio/surroundtour/
For those not up to speed on surround sound (multichannel audio) here is a nice link:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,10094,00.asp

( Last edited by amsalpemkcus; Sep 12, 2002 at 11:47 PM. )

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2002, 11:27 PM

Thanks for the push Steve!

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2002, 11:55 PM

am,
Ok, that's nice if you're doing pro crap.

Can you name any multichannel games?

None.

How about multichannel support in Final Cut Pro?

No.

I'm well aware of OS X's multichannel support IN THE OS, but what about OUTSIDE THE BOX and IN THE APPS? Apple's sitting on a goldmine but instead they choose to leave the box alone. I think that's a bad idea. I have a $40 soundcard in my PC at work. It has multichannel audio. Is it SO hard for companies to support it in OS X?

Mike

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2002, 12:09 AM

Can you name any multichannel games?
Yawn.
How about multichannel support in Final Cut Pro?
This is a reasonable argument, but I still don't care about this one.

You want a great gaming experience? Get a console. But today's game suck compared to the glory of the SNES, and you can emulate that just great on any modern Mac.

amsalpemkcus
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2002, 12:12 AM

am,
Is it SO hard for companies to support it in OS X?

Mike
how old is jagwyre? give it a few years dude!! btw, there is no point in discussing this, everyone knows macs suck when it comes to third party hardware support. It is understandable isnt it when 90% of the market is running the el cheapo wintels. anyhow all that will change in the future, hopefully, otherwise this is one mediocre planet when it comes to tasteful computing!

fat mac moron
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2002, 12:41 AM

Originally posted by wataru:

You want a great gaming experience? Get a console. But today's game suck compared to the glory of the SNES, and you can emulate that just great on any modern Mac.
Exactly

That's always bothered me... D00D! Like WTF?? MACS SU><0R! You can't g4me 4 sh!+, LOL!!111!

I could care less about 2974578435-bit graphics and Dolby Double Dildo Surround Sound. Hard as it is to comprehend, my Mac is for, OMG! Here it comes! WORK!

My Nintendo Gamecube blows away every PC game I've seen. Well, maybe except for GTA 3! j/k

Cheers

fritzair  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2002, 12:43 AM

Originally posted by amsalpemkcus:

how old is jagwyre? give it a few years dude!! btw, there is no point in discussing this, everyone knows macs suck when it comes to third party hardware support. It is understandable isnt it when 90% of the market is running the el cheapo wintels. anyhow all that will change in the future, hopefully, otherwise this is one mediocre planet when it comes to tasteful computing!
Again:
"Steve gives us HOPE."
Amen

fritzair  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2002, 12:46 AM

Originally posted by amsalpemkcus:

Multichannel audio playback would be quite cacophonous, no? Just kidding, but here is something you may not know
http://www.apple.com/macosx/technologies/audio.html
just a matter of a few years now for os x to be a big hit in audio creation and playback, I will bet munny on it...
here is more to read:
http://www.apple.com/creative/musicaudio/surroundtour/
For those not up to speed on surround sound (multichannel audio) here is a nice link:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,10094,00.asp
and a whole bunch of kool pictures
Can it print to my Stylewriter?

thirtyfootsmurf
Sep 13, 2002, 12:54 AM

Originally posted by digimage:
Oh Lookie! Another PC Troll with a little bitty peenie!!!

WOW! I haven't seen one of those for like... Oh I don't know... 10 hours?

So, tell us all about yourself, insult us all, spew lame ass garbage and then take you ball and go home, kk?

Actually, could you just go now?
Hey there! This is fritzair's son and I'd like to say something!
First: this "PC troll w/ a little bitty peenie" has been a Macintosh guy ever since i was born (1986, if not before that). Second: sure, he's got 75 posts.... but he's been reading this stuff for God knows how long.... Third: I support him! I'm getting one too!
Do your homework....

Originally posted by :Xl::
I just noticed what this line actually says.
what are you using now? an Atari?
Umm... try a B&W G3? Again people, must I say it? Do your homework. It's ok to ask questions!

Originally posted by Millennium:
Long-term value - Come back when the average useful life of a Mac isn't triple the average useful life of a PC. Then maybe I'll take you seriously on this one. I bought a TiBook last year, and by the time I get a new portable, you'll be starting to consider buying your fourth PC. Suddenly, things don't look so attractive on that side of the fence, do they? Nor as cheap. [/B]
Ever think about the fact that you really don't buy another PC? That's right.... unlike a Macintosh, you buy the parts if you want something new. New processor? Sure! 98 bucks for a 1.67 Ghz Athlon XP2000! Try getting a 1.67 Ghz G4 for under $100.... If I remember right.... the 8500's 120Mhz 604 was 129? (Seen hanging on to dear life in the back of the latest Mac Addict magazine) Sure it's kept it's original price but dear God! Does it really have to keep it's original price? (You know, I'm not really sure if that's it's original price.... It might be more then....)

Oh, and a general message to all of you.... I was a Mac fanatic back in the day, but only because I never really had used a PC. I see this shortcoming in every single person here who disses on me or my father. Are we being persecuted for having a different opinon?

A quote comes to mind by someone I don't know...

"Judging people...man, that's something they do in Russia!"
Sound familiar?

tfs out....

fritzair  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2002, 12:55 AM

Originally posted by fat mac moron:

Exactly

That's always bothered me... D00D! Like WTF?? MACS SU><0R! You can't g4me 4 sh!+, LOL!!111!

I could care less about 2974578435-bit graphics and Dolby Double Dildo Surround Sound. Hard as it is to comprehend, my Mac is for, OMG! Here it comes! WORK!

My Nintendo Gamecube blows away every PC game I've seen. Well, maybe except for GTA 3! j/k

Cheers
Great. Then you don't mind buying all your applications, again. You know, so you can --work. I'll miss not having to type .com and hearing Steve tell me how I must support him, trust him because , HE knows whats good for me.
Hot stock tip :sell MOT short.

Mike

fat mac moron
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2002, 01:32 AM

Great. Then you don't mind buying all your applications, again. You know, so you can --work. I'll miss not having to type .com and hearing Steve tell me how I must support him, trust him because , HE knows whats good for me.
Huh? Buying all your applications, again?

I'm not really sure what you're getting at here, but hey, go with the flow man

Btw, if you think Steve's bad, try actually reading some of those "click thru" service pack / end user licenses . Borg

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2002, 01:47 AM

I can't believe what I read here sometimes.

The Halo demo is shown at MacWorld in '99 and everyone loves the Mac. Now everyone backpedals and says that consoles are better.

It's amazing how people change their mind to conform to their bias. Had Halo come out as a Mac exclusive, I'm sure things would be different.

Have you actually HEARD anything in Dolby Digital or are you just sh*tting on it because you don't actually have it?

Let's talk consoles.

Madden 2003. Great on the PS2, right? Oh, but there's that $50 adapater you have to buy IF you can find one. Free for a year, and then next year they nail you for fees. With a PC, you don't pay extra to play it online.

Morrowind. Does that look better on your GC? Probably not since it's not on the GC, only the XBox and PC. Enjoy Mario.

Neverwinter Nights. Console? No.

Everquest. Console? PS2 only, and it's going to be crap compared to the PC version. Mac version due soon.

Unreal Tournament. Console? Yes - DC and PS2. You're saying it plays better on a console than a PC?

Jedi Knight II. Console? No.

Final Fantasy X. Console? Yes. PC? No.

I have all 3 consoles so I'm platform agnostic. Consoles are great for games, but PCs are more robust and you really don't have ATI 9700's in consoles. I'd like to see your console running at 640x480 on your interlaced TV vs. my 1600x1200 ATI 9700 in progressive scan.

I remember a time a few years back when Steve was really pushing for games to come to the Mac. Now the Mac community has accepted the fact that Macs suck for games, and in fact they turn their back on PC-based games altogether. That doesn't seem odd to anyone?

As for multichannel audio - it's not JUST about the OS, but Apple's lack of hardware support for it. It's supposed to be the "digital hub". Well, only if you're working in stereo.

Mike

swimp
Sep 13, 2002, 02:07 AM

Originally posted by anarkisst:

2. Edited in Photoshop 7

God, that was easy...
haha, that was great

swiz
GUI Punk
Sep 13, 2002, 02:16 AM

Originally posted by thirtyfootsmurf:

...Are we being persecuted for having a different opinon?
No your being persecuted for telling us about when we don't care for your baaaa baaaa baaaad taste. Sheeple. I love the arguement about getting a "one-point-whatever ghz Athlon for $90, try that with a Mac". How bout this genious, Macs are not CRAP that get slapped together like PC's. This debate is as tired as the "there arent any apps for Apple's"...

fat mac moron
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2002, 03:01 AM

Have you actually HEARD anything in Dolby Digital or are you just sh*tting on it because you don't actually have it?

I've been to the movies before, so yes I've heard it. I get out once in a while, when time permits It's nice

Let's talk consoles. Ok!

Madden 2003. Great on the PS2, right? Oh, but there's that $50 adapater you have to buy IF you can find one. Free for a year, and then next year they nail you for fees. With a PC, you don't pay extra to play it online. No idea, never played it before, but ok!

Morrowind. Does that look better on your GC? Probably not since it's not on the GC, only the XBox and PC. Enjoy Mario. Morrowind? Haven't heard of it, but ok!

Neverwinter Nights. Console? No. I saw this once before, it looked like it was fun, but mostly online, right? *shrug*

Everquest. Console? PS2 only, and it's going to be crap compared to the PC version. Mac version due soon. Mmm, pixeled boobies. Shouldn't people call this EverVirgin, or SuicideQuest?

Unreal Tournament. Console? Yes - DC and PS2. You're saying it plays better on a console than a PC? Never played it, but ok!

Jedi Knight II. Console? No. Huh?

Final Fantasy X. Console? Yes. PC? No. Wha?

I have all 3 consoles so I'm platform agnostic. Consoles are great for games, but PCs are more robust and you really don't have ATI 9700's in consoles. I'd like to see your console running at 640x480 on your interlaced TV vs. my 1600x1200 ATI 9700 in progressive scan. Is that geek speak for asking me out? :blush: You're such a stud!

Mike
Mike, it's great that the PC has millions of "PC only" games, but unless the `Cube or PSX 2, or XBox can Photoshop for me in Digital Dolby Surround Sound, or create PDF documents for me while I Grand Theft Auto my ass across the continent, it's pointless. Last time I checked, I didn't need 4+ gigahertz to email someone, or a RAID array to serve up a PDF file to a client.

What I did need was a machine that wouldn't hassle or interfere with my life

Cheers!

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 13, 2002, 03:43 AM

Originally posted by anarkisst:

2. Edited in Photoshop 7

God, that was easy...
Ive used that in here before..

I like mine better

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2002, 04:06 AM

Originally posted by thirtyfootsmurf:
Ever think about the fact that you really don't buy another PC? That's right.... unlike a Macintosh, you buy the parts if you want something new. New processor? Sure! 98 bucks for a 1.67 Ghz Athlon XP2000! Try getting a 1.67 Ghz G4 for under $100.... If I remember right.... the 8500's 120Mhz 604 was 129?
Ahh you're showing your colors as a newbie to the PC game. If you buy this idea, then you're missing some details....

You don't just wake up one day, 2 years after buying your PC, and say "OH, I'm going to go get a new 3823 GHz processor!" Why? Because you'll need a new motherboard. Oh, you might also need a new case for that motherboard. You'll definitely need new memory for it.... If you're looking at one of those power thirsty AMD CPUs, two years from now you'll probably need a new power supply. Chances are you'll need better cooling too... which again points towards needing a new case. Oh yeah, even if you get an Athlon now, I hope you don't mind the noise. People here complain about the dual mirror Power Mac noise, but it's nothing compared to an athlon system (I should know, I'm constantly around several). The nVidia Geforce 4 Titanium cards add quite a bit of noise as well, in case you didn't know that, because they feature rather large fans themselves. If you're coming from using a Mac all you're life, the noise alone is going to drive you batty. It drives me nuts to be around PCs nowadays, and I just switched to Macs a couple years ago!

Moving on, you're lucky if Windows survives all those upgrades without you needing to do a clean install (oh yeah, and calling Redmond every time you add something new). But what am I thinking, by then there will probably be a new great version of Windows that, amongst other 'features,' is incompatible with most of your old peripherals. By that point you might as well just buy a new PC and get all the other latest and greatest high speed storage, video cards, etc... Your old PC will, at this point, be completely worthless. In contrast, a two year old Power Mac retains its value quite well! A 3 month old PC is already worthless in terms of resale value...

The PC world gives you a lot of choice, certainly, and plenty of games... But it adds a whole heck of a lot more complexity! Some people want that, and if that's you then go for it. Personally, I switched to Mac after 15 years of PC usage because, frankly, I got tired of having to work so hard just to do everyday things that should be SIMPLE. I can play most of the computer games that I really want to play on the Mac (just have to wait a bit longer) and I play plenty of games on my consoles as well. Frankly, I find it difficult enough to find time to play the games I want to play on consoles without having to worry about an additional platform...

Anyway, if you're going to buy a PC, you might as well wait until the end of the year so you can get one of those AMD Opteron systems... that processor should definitely haul

OreoCookie
Sep 13, 2002, 04:15 AM

Five months after my little brother bought his PC (it was top of the notch back then), he started wanting a new one.

PCs are far more short-lived.

And you won't get as much free software.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

OreoCookie
Sep 13, 2002, 04:19 AM

No.

Have you heard the Halo trailer in 5.1?

No.

Look, piss all over Windows all you want, but try doing a little homework before doing so. I WISH Apple had the same technology as WMP 9. Hopefully QT 6.5 will.

Mike
Actually there is a USB box that provides 5.1 audio. It has an extension for DVD player.app that allows 5.1 output.

OS X now features 72 audio channels.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Cipher13
Sep 13, 2002, 04:46 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:

Price - Well, if you want to talk about short-term value, PC's do win. But I'll revisit this later.

Feature set - The best feature in the world is worthless if it doesn't work right. And that's the problem with PC's.

Long-term value - Come back when the average useful life of a Mac isn't triple the average useful life of a PC. Then maybe I'll take you seriously on this one. I bought a TiBook last year, and by the time I get a new portable, you'll be starting to consider buying your fourth PC. Suddenly, things don't look so attractive on that side of the fence, do they? Nor as cheap.

I'll be the first to admit, Apple's been doing some serious price-gouging lately. And it isn't cool. But even with all they, they're still providing a better value. You just have to learn to look beyond the marketing.
Yes, well, given the price of a decent Mac system, you could BUY the four PC's you supposedly need to keep up with the trends... I personally don't buy the whole thing.

A Pentium II can run Windows XP comfortably. Can a similar-era Mac run OSX comfortably? I don't think so.

When you think about it, PC's have much more longevity than Macs - it's just that compared to the *new* crop your PC *seems* outdate much sooner, where it really isn't.

The only argument against that is that given the fast pace of PC updates, software is often written to take advantage of the best hardware out there, given that in a few months it'll be middle-range.

If you can change my mind, please do so - I'd love to justify a new Mac purchase to myself. If that sounds like sarcasm, it's not.

Re. the "things don't work right" comment, well, that's not true at all. They may not be as elegant in their operation, but my XP box has done everything I've told it to without problems... how exactly doesn't it work right? It works perfectly well, and very quickly, as an added bonus.

If your TiBook can outpace my 1.2GHz P3 laptop (not considering the fact that yours would have cost *twice* what mine did), I'd love to see that... it isn't gonna happen, unless you wanna talk about RC5... which I can't say I'm too concerned with.

If you want to do intensive stuff, sorry all, but Windows is the place to be. I hate to say that, but it's just true. 3D work, graphics, games, whatever... the only area Apple has an edge in is, well, obviously the server market given OSX's foundations, and the DV arena - simply because FCP is the most brilliant piece of software ever. They're even losing that edge, what with MicroMV, etc.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 13, 2002, 05:03 AM

Cipher, take your XP box and try to get any sort of color management to work out of the box.

Wont happen.

Windows is just not the multimedia design OS you are painting it out to be.

Can it be used for such things? Sure

Does it do just as good as a job as the Mac?

Hardly.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2002, 05:03 AM

If I spend $6,500 on a computer I want computing power, not shiny shiny.

Cipher13
Sep 13, 2002, 05:19 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Cipher, take your XP box and try to get any sort of color management to work out of the box.

Wont happen.

Windows is just not the multimedia design OS you are painting it out to be.

Can it be used for such things? Sure

Does it do just as good as a job as the Mac?

Hardly.
How many graphics professionals use a machine "out of the box"?

Colour management? It's a laptop. It has an LCD. Colour accuracy went out the window as soon as they attached that thing to the video board.

We have to define what exactly a "good job" is before we can discuss this - if you're doing web design, colour calibration is silly. How many consumers have calibrated systems? You should be looking at what they're gonna see.

Print? As I said, how many people that do printing or silk screening use a stock setup? None?

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 13, 2002, 05:31 AM

Originally posted by Face Ache:
If I spend $6,500 on a computer I want computing power, not shiny shiny.
Wow I can probably get two top of the line G4s for that.

Cipher13
Sep 13, 2002, 05:35 AM

You don't live in Australia.

http://www.apple.com.au/store/

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 13, 2002, 05:36 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:

How many graphics professionals use a machine "out of the box"?
I don't know many that uses the PC that hasn't spent a good chunk of change on calibration software and other color matching programs that comes free with Mac OS. And works better, and easier to use to boot.

Colour management? It's a laptop. It has an LCD. Colour accuracy went out the window as soon as they attached that thing to the video board.
I am not just talking laptop/laptop comparison. Thinking I maybe misread your post, I re-read it. You didn't say specifically laptops.

We have to define what exactly a "good job" is before we can discuss this - if you're doing web design, colour calibration is silly. How many consumers have calibrated systems? You should be looking at what they're gonna see.
Oh I agree here.
But still, the graphics industry STILL caters to the Mac more than the PC.

Just like the business/office market caters to the PC .

Print? As I said, how many people that do printing or silk screening use a stock setup? None?
And even with added software, it is STILL not as good because of the underlining OS problems with such color accuracy. Something MS has never fixed.

Not to mention the font problems that still exist in XP in the print/design arena.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2002, 05:37 AM

Not in Australia you can't. With all the options ONE top end tower comes to AU$9,105.00 (without monitors).

Needless to say I would never consider buying a top end Mac tower.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 13, 2002, 05:48 AM

Originally posted by Face Ache:

Not in Australia you can't. With all the options ONE top end tower comes to AU$9,105.00 (without monitors).

Needless to say I would never consider buying a top end Mac tower.
Well I doubt I would buy a Mac if I lived in Oz.

But here in the US, it's not like that.

;-)

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2002, 06:00 AM

My last two Macs have cost me AU$6,500 each (US$3,250).

What kind of a PC would I get for that?

Gouging me (or trying to) for .mac and 10.2 has converted me. I now consider myself a switcher which, of course, means Apple is DOOMED I TELLS YA!

Forum Links
Forum Rules