Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Who's getting a Gilette Fusion???

Who's getting a Gilette Fusion???
ambush
Banned
Feb 15, 2006, 12:58 PM

New Gilette razor with 5 blades

I'm not... it's just a new gimmick.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2006, 01:06 PM

i'll probably get one when the executive program i help with has the gillette guys come through.

kickbacks++++

Dakar
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2006, 01:07 PM

I think MadTV said it best when they had that 21 blade razor commercial.

Edit: Ah yes.

Spishak Spokesman: You see the first blade cuts the facial hair but before the hair can snap back the second blade cuts it again, the third blade cuts it once more, the forth blade cuts it again, the fifth blade goes deeper digging below the first layer of skin to remove the hair follicle, the sixth blade cuts away that pesky second layer of skin where there might be some renegade hair follicles, the seventh blade cuts away six more layers of skin ensuring that hair will never ever grow there. The eighth blade sends an electronic pulse to the centre of the brain which destroys the part of the brain responsible for hair growth and four other non essential functions. The ninth blade gently smoothes out the jaw bone to give your face a more even appearance. The tenth blade removes cavity causing tartar and the eleventh blade starts the process all over again. By the time the twentith blade passes over your face your a first rate professional business man. That promotion is as good as yours.

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2006, 01:09 PM

I use a philishave - or just let it grow a bit

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2006, 01:11 PM

i need at least 20 blades - 5 blades is for suckers

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2006, 01:25 PM

There was some press release or something about this razor late last year and how it has five blades and one on the back (for precision). The single blade on the back had me intruiged.

A few weeks before this razor was supposed to come out, I was in publix and they had all these razors by the checkout and I decided to buy one to try it out. As it happens, the next day, they had all been taken down. I guess someone put them out too early or something.

The razor is cool. I can't tell the difference between the 5 blades and the 3 blade gillete one I have. I have the power models of the 5 and 3 blade. . . for the sheer reason that I think it's neat that it vibrates.

I don't know if it is placebo or what, but I swear the 5 blades are already blunt and I've only shaved 3 times with it. The 3 blades normally last a very long time before I change them.

The single blade on the back is actually pretty cool. I have one of those 'chin strap' beards (no idea who that guy is.) and with the single blade you can get it pretty straight. There are some things wrong with it though. It gets clogged up after every stroke. I know you're not supposed to shave long hair with it, but if you're trying to make a straight line you're going to cut a few hairs at a time and in those occasions, it get really clogged.
Other than that, I think it is a bit late to the game. Everyone who would need to use it for precision cutting is probably already pretty good at shaving without that one blade.
Under the nose it's kinda handy.

All in all, in my opion, if you already have a razor and a bunch of blades, stick with those until the blades are blunt and then if you want go buy one of these new ones. You're not going to achieve a shave 1.667 times smoother than your 3 blade razor.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2006, 01:34 PM

I'm holding out for the "Gillette Warp Speed 10" razor with 10 blades that are powered by pulsating dilithium crystals. I will settle for nothing less.

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2006, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by greenamp
I'm holding out for the "Gillette Warp Speed 10" razor with 10 blades that are powered by pulsating dilithium crystals. I will settle for nothing less.
same here

wolfen
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2006, 01:55 PM

If I use anything but a rotary electric my face looks like it was shaved by freddy kruger.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2006, 01:58 PM

I got it the day it came out (about 2 weeks ago).

it is a HUGE difference over any other blade, it is no gimmick. You even feel a difference between it and the previous model.

The 5 blades are not for a closer shave but to reduce the amount of space between them so your skin doesn't get as irritated. Trust me, it works.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 15, 2006, 02:13 PM

I'll stick with my Braun electrics

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 15, 2006, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
The 5 blades are not for a closer shave but to reduce the amount of space between them so your skin doesn't get as irritated. Trust me, it works.

I hope so.

I love my Mach3, but it rips my face a new one every time I use it.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2006, 02:18 PM

How about the commercial for this thing? How frickin over the top is it?? I mean come on, they make it look like it has come to us from the future where even the most inane boring things are lifted to the stratosphere as if it were the cure to all man's diseases. I saw it while watching the Super Bowl and at first thought it was for some really cool new techy product or something. Then the frickin razor comes on the screen and I just sank into my seat with disappointment.

Anyways, I'm sure its a fine razor. I'm sure it cuts hairs very well. I just thought the commercial was too ridiculous.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2006, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
I hope so.

I love my Mach3, but it rips my face a new one every time I use it.
When I first used it it didn't even feel like I was shaving as it just slid across my face, I am totally impressed with it and I have used every razor under the sun.

My boyfriends neck gets very irritated when he shaves and he said this one made a big difference also.

Using a good shaving creme also helps, not the gillette ****.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2006, 02:24 PM

I'm just going to start sticking my face in a lawnmower.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2006, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma::
How about the commercial for this thing? How frickin over the top is it?? I mean come on, they make it look like it has come to us from the future where even the most inane boring things are lifted to the stratosphere as if it were the cure to all man's diseases. I saw it while watching the Super Bowl and at first thought it was for some really cool new techy product or something. Then the frickin razor comes on the screen and I just sank into my seat with disappointment.

Anyways, I'm sure its a fine razor. I'm sure it cuts hairs very well. I just thought the commercial was too ridiculous.
at least it doesn't have that riced out supra in it.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2006, 03:25 PM

Chuck Norris doesn't shave - Chuck Norris sharpens razors with his beard.

(etc., etc..)
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2006, 03:33 PM

I love that Chuck Norris bit!

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2006, 03:58 PM

I use a Schick Quattro, and my neck gets RAZ0R burn every freaking time I use it. I can't stand it, but my fancy-pants Norelco rotary can't shave my neck well enough.

Normally, I'll shave with my electric, then do a go-over with my razor, then hit the shower (I know, I know -- you should shave *after* the shower, but I don't).

Maybe 5 blades really will reduce irritation...
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

turbopants
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2006, 04:00 PM

I've been using the Schick Quattro for the last year, and it's been pretty good. I think I'm going to try this, I hope it works well with thick beards. They also have a battery powered version of the Fusion as well.

DanMacMan
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2006, 04:02 PM

It is not a cheap gimmick. I got one of these free in the mail (I think becuase I subscribe to ESPN magazine). I was a Schick Quattro user until I got the Fusion. Literally the best shave I have ever had. I have used it about 5 times now and have seen no degradation in shave quality. In the past I have owned a Mach 3, Mach 3 turbo, two Norelco electrics, the Quattro and now the Fusion. The Fusion beats everyone of 'em.

Maury, I am the same way, I shave before I shower. The Quattro destroyed my neck with razor bumps. This Fusion is like night and day.
( Last edited by DanMacMan; Feb 15, 2006 at 04:08 PM. )
One Nation under Steve.
iMac 20"/2 GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250 GB/SuperDrive
PowerBook G4 12"/1 GHz/1.25 GB RAM/60GB/Combo
iMac G3 333 MHz/96 MB RAM/6 GB/CD
iPod 20GB, 4th Gen
iPhone 8GB, 1.1.4

Dakar
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2006, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
can't shave my neck well enough..
Hehehe, reminds me of the dude I once saw. His beard suddenly just turned into his chest hair. No separation whatsoever.

DanMacMan
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2006, 04:06 PM

double post dammit
One Nation under Steve.
iMac 20"/2 GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250 GB/SuperDrive
PowerBook G4 12"/1 GHz/1.25 GB RAM/60GB/Combo
iMac G3 333 MHz/96 MB RAM/6 GB/CD
iPod 20GB, 4th Gen
iPhone 8GB, 1.1.4

Rolling Bones
Banned
Feb 15, 2006, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by ambush

New Gilette razor with 5 blades

I'm not... it's just a new gimmick.
Just two more spaces to get plugged up and fekk up your skin.

I actually buy the real cheapies that still have ONE blade.

I think you get ten for a buck or something.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2006, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Rolling Bones
Just two more spaces to get plugged up and fekk up your skin.

I actually buy the real cheapies that still have ONE blade.

I think you get ten for a buck or something.
The spaces between each blade is so small that your skin doesn't even have the space to raise between them and get irritated. You can also rinse it from the back.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

spatterson
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2006, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
I'll stick with my Braun electrics
I have the same

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2006, 04:57 PM

The Quattro has the blades too close together so that they jam up with hair too often and it's not easy to clean it out when it does. I assume the Fusion follows the trend, so I'll stick with the wider separation of the Mach 3.

And electrics just don't shave closely enough for me.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2006, 05:04 PM

Blade users: do you shave with the grain or against? Against gives me burn like there's no tomorrow, but with never gets everything.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2006, 05:07 PM

Al Jaffee did it.

dark3lf
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2006, 05:08 PM

I got one about two weeks ago. Meh, it's ok. But yeah, very gimmicky.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2006, 05:11 PM

My hair grows in all white trash like so I only show stubble every few days, and it is patchy at best. The Mach 3 does irritate me something awful, I will try the Fusion from the recommendations here.

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2006, 05:31 PM

why even buy it? Gilette and Schick give out free samples like it's candy on Halloween. So far all my razors have been free samples, and I haven't even bought those over-priced blades for my sample razors, I just get a new razor instead.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2006, 05:36 PM

Wake me up when 13 blades has been achieved. Optimized.®

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2006, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939
Wake me up when 13 blades has been achieved. Optimized.®
The Fusion is admittedly not as optimized as the Mach 3: it requires an extra blade on the back for the space under the nose. There is a non-optimal valley between 3 blades and, what I believe will be one of the final steps, nano-blades.

Imagine: millions of nano-bots, roving the plain of your face; drawing energy from your electrically-charged body; slowly, silently harvesting your hair.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Salty
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2006, 06:09 PM

My sister got me a philishave for Christmas and I love the thing. It's not as close as my mach 3 got I'll grant you, but it never nicks never cuts, and always leaves me with a nice even shave. And the best part is I can shave at any point in the day and it's nice and quick, no foam no water no nuffin.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2006, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by zerostar
My hair grows in all white trash like so I only show stubble every few days, and it is patchy at best. The Mach 3 does irritate me something awful, I will try the Fusion from the recommendations here.
Shave AFTER you shower and buy some good shaving creme. Always shave with the grain.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Rolling Bones
Banned
Feb 15, 2006, 06:26 PM

Shave AFTER you shower and buy some good shaving creme. Always shave with the grain.
John Travolta and Tom Cruise shave exactly the same way.

Can anyone guess why and which way it is?

Today's trivia question boys and ghouls.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2006, 06:45 PM

my mirror's always fogged then. anything like the toothpaste in the diving mask home remedy to keep the mirror from fogging sos i can see what the hell i'm doing?

Paco500
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2006, 07:04 PM

I got one this week. Like brushing a silk cloth across a baby's bottom.

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2006, 07:30 PM

I have recently started shaving DURING my shower, I have a little shower radio with a mirror on it... gives me MUCH less irritation, i think because my skin is always wet...

I go with the grain and then once against it to clean it to baby butt smooth...

I have a mach3

That is all =)

Zach

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2006, 08:08 PM

I think the fusion is so over the top.

I remember 30 years ago (not me, my father) using a safety razor, 20 years ago it was the dual balde razor that seemed to last until the 90's now both shick and gillette is adding blades to each of their razors. Has man's faces changed in the last 30 years that those old style razor's don't do the trick - no they shave fine. Gillette and Shick wants more of your money and creating new products that are much more expensive. I bet I can get just as close of a shave with a dual blade razor as with the 5 blade monster.

Mike

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2006, 08:19 PM

I use a phillips electric shaver I bought in Japan after my old one died out. My skin is way too senitive to use a razor, and plus, I think electric is just a tad easier.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2006, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by d4nth3m4n
my mirror's always fogged then. anything like the toothpaste in the diving mask home remedy to keep the mirror from fogging sos i can see what the hell i'm doing?
Yes, they sell anti-fog spray everywhere.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 15, 2006, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by phantomdragonz
I have recently started shaving DURING my shower, I have a little shower radio with a mirror on it... gives me MUCH less irritation, i think because my skin is always wet...

I go with the grain and then once against it to clean it to baby butt smooth...

I have a mach3

That is all =)

Zach
I always shave in the shower as well. Mostly with the grain, but if I don't go against it, I have 5 o'clock shadow at 8 in the morning. I use the Mach3Turbo GT or whatever the hell it's called. I'm temped to try out the fusion. I'm sure the heads won't fit my Mach handle, will they?

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2006, 09:42 PM

the head attachement is completely different

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 15, 2006, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by mdc
the head attachement is completely different
Of course. Wishful thinking on my part.

Salty
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2006, 10:17 PM

For shaving without a mirror, put a bunch of shaving cream on your hands. Rub them together then on your face. Take your shaver hand and swipe it against your other hand, getting most of the excess left over foam on that hand. Shave by remembering where you've been. Then feel your face with your hand that has foam all over it. Where you feel hair, shave again, then feel, if it is smooth you're done with that area, if it's not shave it again. Good way to make sure you're baby smooth. That said, I love my electric.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2006, 10:18 PM

I bought a Fusion at Target today, so I'll give it a go tomorrow morning and report back.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2006, 10:22 PM

I'm glad I wear pants. Leg shaving daily? I think not.

Salty
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2006, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by KeriVit
I'm glad I wear pants. Leg shaving daily? I think not.
I don't think many of them do that daily.

Forum Links
Forum Rules