Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > (Rant) violent people on the subway

(Rant) violent people on the subway
ambush
Banned
May 17, 2006, 08:14 AM

So it's rush hour, the train is probably at max. capacity. I have to get out of the train. Some idiot is just standing there and bloclking everyone. I pass by slightly pushing him and make my way out along with many others. This is normal. When you're blocking doors, you must expect to be pushed. This is rush hour. I was in a good mood, as I always am, thanks to my sound blocking earphones and this good book I'm reading, so I wasn't out to get even with life or anything.

But this ****ing guy, who OBVIOUSLY forgot to take his pills or something, he pushes me violently (hit me on the shoulder and cheek)... how low is that? You initiate a fight with someone, when you know he will not be able to "reply" to the invitation, because he's getting out of the train... so I look at him I say what the **** was that???

the guy is like this IT nerd or something, just looks like middleclass-pisses-that-he's-got-to-ride-the-subway....

I was about to "drop my mitts" (my backpack and my book, lol) and then this black woman straight out of hollywood (just like in the movies, when they want to use the "big black mama" stereotype) grabs me and separates me from the idiot.

she says "he hasn't slept well, don't do anything"... in a gospelly voice

so I realise this is not worthy of my time and I go along and say "thanks, madam".

**** grumpy people on the subway. this is PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION PEOPLE. this is not a freaking limousine.

basically anyone can afford a ****ing car these days. with credit. grumpy people, do yourself a favor and get one if you're going to be violent on the subway or on the bus.
( Last edited by ambush; May 17, 2006 at 08:23 AM. )

ism
Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2006, 09:11 AM

Isn't this a general thing with trains? I commute every day on the train, most of the time it's fine (live out in the sticks: not busy), but on Fridays when I'm getting off the train everyone is crowded around the door and trying to get on before I can get off.

It was even the same when I used to travel with a bicycle. I thought that when presented with a large chunk of metal coming off the train towards their heads people would be inclined to move out of the way, but they didn't. I must have injured people in the past, but I gave up caring. If they can't be arsed to make room I'll just make my own. It's not even as if you can pause to give them time to make room for you - if you hesitate at all in getting off they just proceed to try and get on straight away, squeezing past you.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2006, 09:29 AM

ambush, I hear what you're saying.

While living in London I used to ride the tube all the time and you meet these types of people very often. I found it was more on the way home from work, since people were grumpy after work.

What really bothered me was during rush hour on the way home when you get to your stop and there are those people that think that by them rushing on the train they'll get a spot. Not thinking that by letting people get off first there will be more space for them.

You get to your stop and they rush on and then stare at you like you're a moron when you try get off.

ambush  (op)
Banned
May 17, 2006, 12:52 PM

i think I would have punched the idiot if the black woman didn't convince me. lol.

DavidHossack
Forum Regular
May 17, 2006, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by mdc
ambush, I hear what you're saying.

While living in London I used to ride the tube all the time and you meet these types of people very often. I found it was more on the way home from work, since people were grumpy after work.

What really bothered me was during rush hour on the way home when you get to your stop and there are those people that think that by them rushing on the train they'll get a spot. Not thinking that by letting people get off first there will be more space for them.

You get to your stop and they rush on and then stare at you like you're a moron when you try get off.

Its even worse in Paris. London is mild...
David.

Monique
Mac Elite
May 18, 2006, 10:45 AM

What I find funny that in big cities, especially Europe you have a train coming every 3 minutes, so what you miss one you will be able to get on the next one, without pushing the others. I guess it is part of our society today not caring about others.

In Calgary, it is even more dangerous because trains are not too frequent people will risk their lives and run in front of coming train to catch one. Let me explain more clearly, the trains are on surface and often you have to cross one set of rails to go to your train.

PacHead
Baninated
May 18, 2006, 11:55 AM

Ambush deserved to get pushed back, he has no manners. When you bump into somebody, you say 'excuse me' or something to that effect. If Ambush would've bumped into me on the subway and he didn't offer any 'sorry' or 'excuse me', I probably would've pushed him right back, and there would be no big black woman to save him.

Salty
Professional Poster
May 18, 2006, 01:01 PM

I wish Winnipeg had a subway. We just have buses...

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
May 18, 2006, 01:46 PM

You see the same mentality in downtown anywhere with elevator ettiquete.

"Hey jackass... If you let me OFF the elevator, maybe then there will be room for you to get ON."
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2006, 02:35 PM

Subways, elevators, lines...

It doesn't matter. Etiquette is GONE in the modern world. I offered a woman my seat last weekend in NYC, like any Southern gentleman would. At first, she looked shocked. Then she looked offended and turned around, ignoring me.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
May 18, 2006, 02:46 PM

ambush, I agree that you have to deal with an array of loons on the train, but it's still much cheaper than dealing with buying a car, insurance, and gasoline.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2006, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by DigitalEl
"Hey jackass... If you let me OFF the (insert whatever place you are here) , maybe then there will be room for you to get ON."

they need to put that on a sign in the T stations in Boston, or anywhere else for that matter. i take the T 4-5 days a week 2-4 times eachday and some people just dont realize that if you wait to let people off than there will be more room. i have a couple of rude people on the T stories, but none of them involve me getting hit. i'm glad the OP is okay though

Dakar
Professional Poster
May 18, 2006, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54
Etiquette is GONE in the modern world. I offered a woman my seat last weekend in NYC, like any Southern gentleman would.
That's not etiquette, that's chivalry.

At first, she looked shocked. Then she looked offended and turned around, ignoring me.
She either thought you were hitting on her or mocking her.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2006, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar
That's not etiquette, that's chivalry.

She either thought you were hitting on her or mocking her.
etiquette - the conduct or procedure required by good breeding or prescribed by authority to be observed in social or official life

Etiquette applies. Chivalry is just more specific.

I guess she could have thought that I was hitting on her, although an aging (probably 65 or so) woman usually wouldn't consider a 23 year old guy as interested in her. Maybe she thought I was going to mug her.

I've noticed that it's also thought of as sarcastic or disrespectful to say, "Yes, sir," and such in the North. I learned quickly on my trip that it was generally frowned upon.

Dakar
Professional Poster
May 18, 2006, 04:19 PM

etiquette - the conduct or procedure required by good breeding or prescribed by authority to be observed in social or official life

Etiquette applies. Chivalry is just more specific.
I dunno. I don't think giving seat to people is etiquette. Thats just being nice. Holding doors, please and thank you, that's etiquette. But this may be just a personal view (or a generational gap) so I'll just concede the matter.

I guess she could have thought that I was hitting on her, although an aging (probably 65 or so) woman usually wouldn't consider a 23 year old guy as interested in her.
You are in a city full of wackjobs.

I've noticed that it's also thought of as sarcastic or disrespectful to say, "Yes, sir," and such in the North. I learned quickly on my trip that it was generally frowned upon.
Probably worse in the city. But yeah, unless its a person in a position of authority or a friend I could definitely see that.

Salty
Professional Poster
May 18, 2006, 04:27 PM

I was on the bus the other day and it was packed, there were these three high school aged guys sitting in the seats across from me and two friends near the front of the bus. When we got on it was pretty full but obviously we got the seats we did so whatever. Anyway this lady gets on the bus, she looks maybe 50ish but I don't think has taken great care of herself, she gets on walks to a seat further down, and another lady gets mad at the guys sitting there for not offering her their seats, to which I was like... well she didn't seem to be having any trouble getting around so obviously it didn't matter.
Though later I got a fair bit frustrated when a bunch of people got on, and I did get up and offer my seat to an older guy looked about 60 or so, and still the guys across the way just sat there as the bus was now packed and they really should have been offering their seats to other people.

That said... yah just common decency at least up here is pretty much dead. I think a large chunk of it is just the fact that our society tells everyone to go out and get what they want and not to think of anyone else.

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
May 18, 2006, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by PacHead
Ambush deserved to get pushed back, he has no manners. When you bump into somebody, you say 'excuse me' or something to that effect. If Ambush would've bumped into me on the subway and he didn't offer any 'sorry' or 'excuse me', I probably would've pushed him right back, and there would be no big black woman to save him.

Or you could just brush it off and get on with your life. Hitting someone in retaliation for a bump shows a lot more disrespect and immaturity than not saying "excuse me."

I can see it now: "some guy bumped into me and didn't say he was sorry, so I ****ing beat the **** out of him."

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2006, 04:47 PM

Three days of NYC (first trip) was absolute culture shock. I've been to Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, D.C., Toronto, St. Louis, Atlanta, and other cities, but there's nothing to compare to New York. I loved and hated it all at once.

The day after I got back, I was walking around, snapping some shots of my nephew's t-ball game (I'm adding a picture at the bottom...just because) and I realized how glad I was to be back home, especially in the South. I just love the courtesy that everyone shows each other. I loved the fact that I can actually find open land, plenty of trees, and such. I guess everyone has a different perception of what home is. New Yorkers are proud of being New Yorkers. Bossier City locals are proud of being from Bossier City (about 300,000 in the area).

Middle America...

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2006, 07:16 PM

I always bodycheck or block people blocking the doors especially where there is plenty of seats.

I mean if they want to stand in the doorway at least take 2 steps and stand on the otherside that isn't being used to enter and exit the train!

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2006, 10:40 PM

I don't deal with rush hour much since I'm a student. If I get an MBA then, god willing, I'll have a big expensive car in 5 years and I'll drive really slowly to and from work, enjoying my heated leather seats and quiet interior, while everyone else is in a frenzied panic to get to work on time.

:wakes up from dream:

himself
Mac Elite
May 21, 2006, 01:26 PM

I like riding the crowded trains at rush hour here in Chicago... usually. It is packed to the bone, and many times I have a nice friendly chat with an attractive young professional/student/whatever female. I may even get a phone number or (on occasion) a date. But there are always hayters around trying to crimp my game. I just flash my ghetto scowl and check 'em on the way out.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2006, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by himself
I like riding the crowded trains at rush hour here in Chicago... usually. It is packed to the bone, and many times I have a nice friendly chat with an attractive young professional/student/whatever female. I may even get a phone number or (on occasion) a date. But there are always hayters around trying to crimp my game. I just flash my ghetto scowl and check 'em on the way out.

funny story, or atleast it is for me. I was riding on the T one night after a rehearsal and this guy was hitting on a girl (found this afterwards) and according to her, she kept telling the guy that she was waiting for her bf, but he wouldnt let up, so when i got on she got up all happy and wrapped her arms around me and said hi honey! and we sat down together. i didnt know who this girl was at all, and the guy that was trying to hit on her sulked away. not really much more to tell except we got off at the same stop.

Brass

Salty
Professional Poster
May 21, 2006, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock
funny story, or atleast it is for me. I was riding on the T one night after a rehearsal and this guy was hitting on a girl (found this afterwards) and according to her, she kept telling the guy that she was waiting for her bf, but he wouldnt let up, so when i got on she got up all happy and wrapped her arms around me and said hi honey! and we sat down together. i didnt know who this girl was at all, and the guy that was trying to hit on her sulked away. not really much more to tell except we got off at the same stop.

Brass
Nice! I'd love to have that happen.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2006, 04:25 PM

what headphones do you have ambush?
(Looking for a decent pair of portable noise cancelling headphones..)
we don't have time to stop for gas

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2006, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Peter
I was checking some of these out the other day. Best ever - check 'em out.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Kevin
Baninated
May 21, 2006, 05:02 PM

I'd love to hear the other guys side of it.

PacHead
Baninated
May 21, 2006, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Yeah, no kidding. I wouldn't exactly take ambush's word for anything. Wasn't he acting like a thug recently and getting chased by cops in another thread ?

Salty
Professional Poster
May 21, 2006, 06:11 PM

Now now I'm SUUUURE we can trust every single word out of Ambush's mouth... he's never shown any bias before.

Oneota
Professional Poster
May 21, 2006, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Peter

I've got a pair of Sennheiser PXC 300 headphones - they work pretty well, if I do say so myself.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2006, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
This made me smile. True...

kmkkid
Professional Poster
May 22, 2006, 12:29 PM

Violence begets violence.

Doesn't really matter what Ambush may or may not have done to the guy, there is no excuse for punching someone unless they had done so to you first, even then it's not the wisest move. I believe him, same happens at concerts. If you stand in a mosh pit (or even on the floor for that matter), expect to be pushed, yet I still see people trying to inflict damage on innocent 'bumpers'.

ghporter
Administrator
May 22, 2006, 06:42 PM

Everywhere I've ever been, there's an unwritten but well enforced rule about "letting people get off/out before trying to get in." I've seen it applied to elevators, buses, trains, subways, everything. I don't see people bulling their way in before the people already there have a chance to get off-it's just dumb.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2006, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Oneota
I've got a pair of Sennheiser PXC 300 headphones - they work pretty well, if I do say so myself.
isnt that the one with the battery pack? or is it not that annoying..
we don't have time to stop for gas

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
May 23, 2006, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Everywhere I've ever been, there's an unwritten but well enforced rule about "letting people get off/out before trying to get in." I've seen it applied to elevators, buses, trains, subways, everything. I don't see people bulling their way in before the people already there have a chance to get off-it's just dumb.
You would think that is the case, but it's simply not always true.

I've seen people walk 1' into an empty subway car and lean against the side, blocking the entrance. I've seen people SITTING ON THE FLOOR in front of the door DURING RUSH HOUR! I've seen people wedge the door open so they could slide in (holding up hundreds of people and potentially breaking the subway car door).

It's pure selfishness. I think there are too many people that are tolerated in this world... and live under the illusion that the world revolves around them.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 23, 2006, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by production_coordinator
It's pure selfishness. I think there are too many people that are tolerated in this world... and live under the illusion that the world revolves around them.
"Intolerant" has become a swear word in today's world. I read a book one time called Be Intolerant: Because Some Things are Just Stupid. It was talking about moral relativism's effect on our culture. Good short read.

Monique
Mac Elite
May 23, 2006, 11:43 AM

What some people do not understand here about trains is that when you are in a hurry durind rush hours and you have this stupid person that block the entrance, so people have difficulties going out of the trains and the people going in; the persons blocking deserve to be hurt. When on a train and you are not going out at the next station, stay away from the exit; if you get push you deserve it and do not complain about it.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 23, 2006, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Monique
What some people do not understand here about trains is that when you are in a hurry durind rush hours and you have this stupid person that block the entrance, so people have difficulties going out of the trains and the people going in; the persons blocking deserve to be hurt. When on a train and you are not going out at the next station, stay away from the exit; if you get push you deserve it and do not complain about it.

They expect you to wait on the train until they get off, meaning you'll have to ride it until it comes back to your stop several hours later. They're very considerate.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
May 23, 2006, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Monique

The first true thing you have said in a while.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
May 23, 2006, 03:11 PM

Being near the door doesn't bother me so much... as long as you STEP OUT... let people out... and then STEP BACK IN.

Monique
Mac Elite
May 23, 2006, 03:31 PM

There is no way that they can give enough space during rush hours when tons of people are trying to go out and some to go in.

What is wrong with these people that they can't see, they are in the way and they just have to move to a place where they will not block the way.

Another thing that ennoys me, I am trying to get to work and you have this guy who can't decide to come in or out while he is talking to one of his friend who is standing on the platform.

Forum Links
Forum Rules