Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Mini CDs and slot loading TiBook ?

Mini CDs and slot loading TiBook ?
srcleaves
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2002, 11:15 AM

Hi,

Just a quick question. Does anyone know if mini-CDs can be used in the TiBook slot-loading drive? I'm considering these as a distribution medium and I know my tray drives do have support for this size factor but I do not know if a slot-loading drive can use them.

Thanks in advance,
Stephan

shiff
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2002, 12:29 PM

I have not tried it, but I would say no, they do not work. I believe these discs would get stuck in the drive if you tried to load them.

iRebound
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2002, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by shiff:
I have not tried it, but I would say no, they do not work. I believe these discs would get stuck in the drive if you tried to load them.
i tried the mini cd that came with the X-Men movie and it worked fine. it ejected okay.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2002, 02:25 PM

I've had a few mini-CDs (mostly promotional ones for movies or albums), and on at least one of them they specifically mention that they're "not for use with slot-loading CD drives." That's presumably because it would be rather hard to put the disc properly in the drive (you'd have to centre it very neatly).

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2002, 03:08 PM

It depends on the drive you have. If it's one where the drive sucks the CD in as soon as you insert it (like the DVD drive in my rev. B TiBook) then they will work; I've tried it. But if it's the kind that doesn't suck them in (like the combo drive) then they will get stuck.

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2002, 05:45 PM

Works fine

Macka
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2002, 07:58 PM

Another version of the mini-CDs are the business card CDs that are quite common these days.

I'll use this opportunity to ask what the advantages of a slot-loading drive are over the tray loading drives. Just curious.

Paul Huang
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2002, 11:47 AM

Irregular-shaped CD (anything other than round) will cause problems or damage ANY slot-loading CD drive.

The PB made after October 2001 (the one that does not inject the disc until the disc is almost 90% into the slot) cannot read the smaller CD, but the ones that starts injection after 15% insertion will.

Don't try it at home (if you have the newer drive), unless you are prepared to open your PowerBook in a different way--from the bottom plate.

digdog
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2002, 12:43 PM

AppleCare Document: 58641
Macintosh: Using Nonstandard Discs in CD-ROM or DVD-ROM Drives
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58641

(o)

(x)

(x)

(x)

Forum Links
Forum Rules