Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Does Radeon 9000 Mac Ed. fit Cube?

Does Radeon 9000 Mac Ed. fit Cube?
digdog
Forum Regular
Jan 6, 2003, 08:22 PM

ATI had just announced the Radeon 9000 Pro Mac Edition (with ADC support, but $170 only), they also took a close shot with this card:

you may click the image for detail.

It looks small. Wondering if it can fit my G4 Cube? If yes, then it would be really really great, cause I don't have to waste my money on a $250+ GeForce 3 MX, and still able to use Apple flat panel with it.

(hmm... even if it could fit G4 Cube, it might still have heating problem...)
( Last edited by digdog; Jan 6, 2003 at 08:29 PM. )

mrwalker
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 6, 2003, 09:25 PM

I have no idea if this will fit in a cube. I would also like to hear from anyone who does. I don't care about the bracket not fitting, I mean is the board to big to fit in without it?

It has no fan

-mrwalker

Yodas Scrotum
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2003, 05:01 AM

It would probably fit. It's pretty small. I had one in my PowerMac G4 before I sold it for a GeForce 4 Ti

"When 900 years old you reach, look as good you will not."

gizzard
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2003, 05:33 AM

The Radeon 9000 Pro Mac Edition will not fit into a G4 Cube (without serious and warranty-breaking modifications).

iDriveX
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2003, 05:36 AM

Hey A-Hole, Making an assumption or actually have proof?

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

joe
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2003, 09:56 AM

I've upgraded my G4 Cube graphics card before (OEM Radeon to OEM GeForce3). And judging by the photo, the 9000 PCB is too tall for a direct swap. The graphics card PCB has to be about 3/8" below the top of the metal end bracket or it will interfere with the Cube's DC-DC converter board. They appear to be the same height in that photo (the top is where metal bracket bends). However, it may still be possible to hack it in a Cube if you relocate the Cube's DC-DC converter board. That's how someone hacked a Radeon 8500 in the Cube - check out that mod in the Cube section at www.xlr8yourmac.com. Hopefully, the Radeon 9000 won't require cutting off part of it's PCB as the Radeon 8500 does.

Can someone measure and post the actual PCB dimensions from the ATI Retail Radeon 9000?....joe
( Last edited by joe; Jan 7, 2003 at 10:03 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules