Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Broken CD-ROM Drive?

Broken CD-ROM Drive?
trinko
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2000, 09:18 PM

The CD drive in my Power Computing 166Mhx seems to be broken. You put in a CD and the green light flashes and flashes but the CD never shows up on the desktop. I tried removing CD-ROM Toolkit but that didn't help.
If I push the front panel button to get the CD tray out the tray auto rectracts after a few seconds and the front panel light flashes even if no CD is in the drive.

Any suggestions as to how to fix this or do I just have to buy an external CD? If so any recommendations for cheap CD Drives would be appreciated.

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 2, 2000, 07:38 PM

It sounds like your current drive is beyond saving although it can't hurt to make sure that the power and SCSI connections are secure. Did you add any new SCSI devices lately?

You can buy almost any SCSI CD-ROM drive from your local computer store that CD-ROM Toolkit should be able to mount.As a bonus, you could get a much faster CD-ROM.

Check out www.smalldog.com and search for CD-ROM drives. They have a 4x that has Apple drivers for $29 and a 24X that is from Apple for $99.

drewman

Forum Links
Forum Rules