Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 15" vs 17"

15" vs 17"
Trygve
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2005, 12:41 AM

I am about to get a new PB to replace my TiBook 667 Combo machine.

It will be loaded (100GB HD, SuperDrive, 2GB RAM, 128MB VRAM) and I'll also be getting a 23" Cinema Display.

So... 15" or 17". The cost difference is almost nil. I just worry about how portable the 17" is. I currently have a SFBags Sleevecase and would do the same for the 15", but for a 17" I'd want the RacerX bag most likely.

I have carried my 15" everywhere from Turkey to Cambodia in a Kathmandu backpack, and use it for software development.

Will the 17" be too big to reasonably deal with? I know it won't fit in my small backpack, which leads me to lean to the 15", but the extra screen space when I am out of the office would be nice.

Thanks,

T.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2005, 12:45 AM

If you have a good case, the 17 isn't much larger than a 15 as far as portability goes and the screen size makes up for that.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

sledsbehave
Senior User
Feb 15, 2005, 12:47 AM

since you are asking for opinions, i'd have to say, my 15" seems big, and although i've never owned a 17", i would imagine it would be too big for regular mobile use.

i think the 17" is only for those that want the extra screen space, studios, photography, video editing, such as that.

i wouldn't recommend a 17", if you take yr powerbook out of the house on a daily basis.

so i would say the 15", unless you just have to have more screen space, but considering you are looking into a 23" screen, definitely the 15".
as ever,
sonny

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2005, 02:12 AM

I have a 17 and I do travel frequently. No problems.

jzdziarski
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2005, 09:31 AM

most men who buy a 15" end up wishing they had a few more inches later on.

Agent69
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2005, 10:51 AM

I vote 17".
Agent69

reybart
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2005, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by jzdziarski:
most men who buy a 15" end up wishing they had a few more inches later on.
I agree! That's why I ordered the 17 after having the 15 Ti 867. Just waiting to arrive.

joshnyberg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2005, 04:53 AM

I just built a 1.5ghz 17" Powerbook out of spare parts, and it's great. I switched from a 1ghz TiBook, and the screen size is definitely noticeable. I don't really leave the house much with it, but I wouldn't imagine it being much more cumbersome than a 15". It's really great for watching movies, or for working with pages side-by-side.

btw: I can fix your powerbooks at powerbookrepairshop.com - shameless self-promotion.
Powerbook Repair Shop: G4 parts and repairs at very reasonable prices.

www.powerbookrepairshop.com

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 19, 2005, 03:28 PM

Sounds spam-like.

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2005, 02:28 AM

I've had a 17" for almost 2 years now and I dont think it's 'too big' at all. It fits very comfortable on my lap and it's thinner than the 15". I wonder how the volumes of the two compare?
"I'm the commander - see, I don't need to explain - I don't need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the President. Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation."

- Dictator George W. Bush, Washington Post, 11-19-02

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2005, 02:44 AM

The 17 also runs cooler than smaller laptops as more surface area.

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2005, 09:37 AM

Originally posted by Agent69:
I vote 17".
same here, plus a vote for that sig

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2005, 10:02 AM

Trygve, are you buying in the UAE or abroad?

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2005, 10:11 AM

If you don't mind the extra size, I'd get the 17". The only place I can think of where the size might get in the way is on a train or airplane.

On the other hand, if you ever need to so some work on the plane, the 15" would come in handy.

If you're mostly doing software development the 15" would be fine, especially since you'll have a 23" to hook up to.

Keiretsu
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2005, 02:47 PM

IMHO it's either th 12" or the 17".

12" is very portable but fully equipped if you hook up an external TFT and keyboard ...

The 17" is perfect to work on day for day without additional equipement.

paterss
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2005, 03:32 PM

I'm going to order the old 1.5GHz tomorrow, the price is pretty much the same as the 15" 1.67, but the screen size makes a big difference.

I do some development work , plus the usual Adobe suite, all those menu's etc take up space - you need some space for the documents themselves.

I'm more worried about finding a case/slip which will protect the very thin upper and lower surfaces. IU wouldn't like somethign in my bad to scratch it or make a dent or so.
So far the onlz possibility I see is either paying someone to make a nice leather sleeve - thick thick leather or maybe some thin plywood polished up to shine - but either way - above and below should be protected.

Anyone got somethign similar or a sad tale to tell of something thats dented their large powerbook ??

Stuart
Smart people learn from their own mistakes.
Very smart people learn from other peoples mistakes.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2005, 03:46 PM

Radtech has an uber-cool sleeve for the 17s that's the same material as the screensaver cloth (and iPod cases). Get that and a good case and you'll be good to go.

Abbas
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2005, 04:00 PM

Hey Randman- are you in Dubai as well?

-Abbas

mattfong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2005, 08:28 PM

I had a PB G$ 17 1.33 and I "traded-down" to a 15 1.67. It's coming on Monday!

You might ask why. Despite a beautiful screen with large real-estate, that's about the only thing this laptop can brag about. I needed a bit more portability, so a smaller screen isn't necessarily bad -- I can always hook up an external display.

The 17 is really meant for a desktop replacement in many respects. If you tend to move around, the 15 incher is easier to do so.

Matt

Krusty
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2005, 08:41 PM

Price-wise the 17" is a bargain if you were going to spec out at 15" to a similar level. Add $200 to the top end 15" ($100 for the 80->100gb hard drive in the 17" and $100 for the 64-128mb vram in the graphics card) and now the the 17" model is only $200 more than the comparably-spec'd 15". None too shabby, IMHO

MountainMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2005, 09:24 PM

I have a 17" and travel pretty frequently with it with no problems. It's possible to use it on normal-size airplanes (737s or larger) but impossible on an RJ or something smaller.
Plato--what's a "Chickie Run"?

Trygve  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2005, 11:32 PM

I think for the way I travel with it, the 15" is more suitable. Last year I was on the road for 7 months backpacking from Prague to New Zealand. My current 15" (Ti667) slipped into a Waterfield Design sleevecase and I could drop that into my dayback to be hands-free.

This is not possible with the 17". I don't plan to do a trip like that again anytime soon, but with a 17" I will need a briefcase-like bag (like the RacerX). Since I will have a 23" Cinema at home, it seems hard to justify the reduced portability of the 17.

I have a 15" on order (shipping 3/2)... I can still change it though. ;-)

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2005, 11:51 PM

I got a 15" for the travel reason too. After owning a 12" iBook for a number of years, even the 15" took a little getting used to when traveling, since it's larger. I couldn't see lugging a 17" PB around an airport. Not that it's really all that much heavier, it's more of a size thing.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2005, 12:54 AM

With a suitable case, the 17 is fine with airports. Not much heavier and with a good case, it's about the same as the 15 as far as portability.

Abbas. No, not yet. Considering job there. Always good to here Mac-related stuff from people already there.

Trygve  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2005, 01:29 AM

Dubai has a few Mac shops but no real Apple Store yet. Prices are a bit high, but generally cheaper than in Europe. I would say 15% higher than the US overall.

Apple does seem to have a commitment to the region though... there is supposed to be a new Apple Store this year according to the local paper. Still, there is much better availability of stuff than in Prague (where I was living most recently).

Locally bought Macs have Arabic/English keyboards and on the backlit PBs the light shows though the Arabic ones too, so they are not just stick-on after-thoughts.

All the best from sunny Dubai.... 73F

MichaelSullivan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2005, 01:42 AM

here is a good article, only a bit dated on value comparison between models. http://www.lowendmac.com/musings/05/0201.html

I'm personally choosing the 15" over the 17", mainly because I can't justify the extra size/weight of the larger model. With the slight savings, I'll purchase the additional things I'd like: Airport Extreme Base Station, Bluetooth wireless mouse (http://www.dvforge.com/themousebt.shtml) and some wristWrags (http://www.powersupportusa.com/products/rr.php), and I can continue using my Swiss Army messenger bag and CS2 sleeve.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2005, 02:20 AM

Originally posted by Trygve:
Dubai has a few Mac shops but no real Apple Store yet. Prices are a bit high, but generally cheaper than in Europe. I would say 15% higher than the US overall.

Apple does seem to have a commitment to the region though... there is supposed to be a new Apple Store this year according to the local paper. Still, there is much better availability of stuff than in Prague (where I was living most recently).

Locally bought Macs have Arabic/English keyboards and on the backlit PBs the light shows though the Arabic ones too, so they are not just stick-on after-thoughts.

All the best from sunny Dubai.... 73F
Yeah, I had to use one of the keyboards on the Mac I was working with during the interview. Figured if I take it, I'd use my wired keyboard at work and then get a wireless one for my 17 at home before heading out.

73? That's cool. It's 81 here and sunny. What do you do, if you don't mine my asking?

Trygve  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2005, 04:30 AM

73? That's cool. It's 81 here and sunny. What do you do, if you don't mine my asking?

http://www.xericdesign.com

BTW: Where is "here"? 81... South Africa? By May or so, we'll be over 100 every day, and by August sometimes it feels like 200.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2005, 04:35 AM

Singapore. Though I grew up in the southwestern US, Albuquerque. And I lived for a couple of years in hot spots Las Vegas and San Antonio before come to SE Asia.

Trygve  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2005, 04:40 AM

You've got a decent Apple Store on Orchard Road. I was there a year ago and almost bought a new PB. I was also able to go out to the Apple facility in Northern Singapore to get my "S" key fixed... pretty hard to type if you have to copy/paste every time you want an S.

What takes you to Singapore?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2005, 04:44 AM

Yeah, there's some good Apple and Mac shops here. While City Centre in Dubai is ... interesting, I would miss Funan, the IT Mall.

Journalism. Designer, editor.

craigthomas
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2005, 03:18 PM

I am too on the fence. I have a 1GHz TiBook that's fairly long in the tooth for my needs. I'm also a Graphic Designer and want more RAM and disk space. Went to the Apple Store and picked up the 17", feels heavy and awkward. I ride my bike to work, and tote my TiBook in a well padded Timbuk2 sleeve and messenger bag. Wonder how the 17 would feel on my back? Maybe I'd get used to the size and weight. On the other hand I use my portable as a desktop replacement 50% of the time when away from my office and 22" Cinema Display. The extra screen size might just be handy for having an InDesign or Quark page open and an Acrobat page open next to it. Another thing, a 17" will feel like a real upgrade coming from a 15". Guess I'm leaning that way right now.

paterss
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2005, 04:00 PM

Well I took the plunge - my 17" is on the way.

Ask me tomorrow if I regret it.
Though to be realistic, I think it will take some time, and some travelling to see how it works out.

I have seen some very nice courier style bags, but still not seen any kind of hard sleeve to pack the powerbook in.
Nothing big enough anyway.
Smart people learn from their own mistakes.
Very smart people learn from other peoples mistakes.

superpabs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2005, 09:11 PM

My new 17 inch came today, and I have to say that I absolutely love it. The difference between the 17 inch screen and my old 14 inch ibook is astounding. I actually find the 17 inch much more comfortable for lap use (something I've cut down on since I found out it's killing my little fellows) than the 15 inch, as I like to sit with a fairly wide stance. I also must agree with whoever's previous post it was that said the increased surface area decreased temps - I didn't think this would be noticable, but after using a friend's 15 inch pb (1.5 ghz mind you) last week, I can definitely say it's the truth. With the exception of a heavy airplane user, I would recommend that everyone seriously consider the 17 inch over the 15 (especially with the price difference being so negligible at this point). I've always hated using laptops on airplanes anyway, so it's not an issue for me. The weight is astoundingly reasonable considering the screen size, and it feels like it was machined by magical woodland creatures - or whoever you like to say it is incredibly sturdy. I'm sure you'll love the 17 inch as much as the rest of us, but if not, it gives you a good excuse to get another new toy.

MountainMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2005, 10:46 PM

Originally posted by craigthomas:
I ride my bike to work, and tote my TiBook in a well padded Timbuk2 sleeve and messenger bag. Wonder how the 17 would feel on my back?
I ride my bike to work too, with the 17" in a messenger bag. Not bad at all.

MM
Plato--what's a "Chickie Run"?

Agent69
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2005, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by superpabs:
My new 17 inch came today
To paraphrase someone from another thread in the Powerbook section of the forums, "this thread is useless without pictures".
Agent69

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2005, 09:04 AM

Just make sure you don't leave your PB in your car during the summer!

I visited my Uncle in Abu Dhabi a few summers ago and man it was hot. And this is coming from someone who lives in Houston, Texas. I remember going to swim at a beach - we had to buy water shoes cause the sand would burn your feet. Then, when we got in the water it felt like a hot tub

Overall I liked the UAE. Nice people. My family is Lebanese so a little bit of Arabic helps every now and then. I do remember visiting Dubai, too - specifically that mall they have there (I don't exactly remember the name). If there's an Apple Store it should be in there.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 22, 2005, 09:37 AM

Thanks for the advice ... but I turned down the offer.

Zkatz007
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2005, 05:51 PM

Getting a 17" after debating...The price difference is so negligable, and the size difference from my 14" iBook will be more impressive than the 15". I do web and print design, so I need the extra real estate. The screen is lots bigger. I was disappointed when i saw it in a Apple Retail store; the screen's not as bright as I had hoped. But oh, well...I'm getting a decked out computer!

I love it already.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2005, 11:40 PM

If the backlit keyboard sensor is on, it'll dim the screen some. If you turn it off, you get full brightness.

MichaelSullivan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2005, 11:44 PM

Originally posted by slffl:
I've had a 17" for almost 2 years now and I dont think it's 'too big' at all. It fits very comfortable on my lap and it's thinner than the 15". I wonder how the volumes of the two compare?
LOL... by thinner you mean .2 cm? Is that even noticible??

Size and weight (12-inch model)
Height: 1.18 inches (3.0 cm)
Width: 10.9 inches (27.7 cm)
Depth: 8.6 inches (21.9 cm)
Weight: 4.6 pounds (2.1 kg) with battery and optical drive installed

Size and weight (15-inch models)
Height: 1.1 inches (2.8 cm)
Width: 13.7 inches (34.8 cm)
Depth: 9.5 inches (24.1 cm)
Weight: 5.6 pounds (2.5 kg) with battery and optical drive installed

Size and weight (17-inch model)
Height: 1.0 inch (2.6 cm)
Width: 15.4 inches (39.2 cm)
Depth: 10.2 inches (25.9 cm)
Weight: 6.9 pounds (3.1 kg) with battery and optical drive installed

Randman
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2005, 12:15 AM

Well, I just spent almost a week with a rev d 12 for a review and the 17 did feel lighter, probably cuz of the differences in mass. And much thinner.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2005, 03:41 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
If the backlit keyboard sensor is on, it'll dim the screen some. If you turn it off, you get full brightness.
The screen dimming can be manually set in System Preferences > Displays. I turned it off because I found it annoying that my screen dimmed when keyboard backlighting turned on.

Forum Links
Forum Rules