Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My PB won't charge

My PB won't charge
Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 26, 2006, 03:17 PM

I was carrying my PB back to its cord, and touched the PB (right by the socket for the power adaptor) to the adaptor plug to disburse the static electricity. Then I plugged it in. The adaptor doesn't light up, and the battery isn't charging. However, the laptop is getting power (I can take the battery out). I ran the Powerbook G4 battery updater but it errors saying I need to be plugged in.

This is an under 2 year old PB G4. Out of warranty. Help!
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

ibook_steve
Mar 26, 2006, 03:29 PM

Why would you discharge static electricity through your Powerbook instead of something safe...like a doorknob?

Steve

Scotttheking  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 26, 2006, 03:36 PM

I was migrating from the couch to the plug and didn't stop in between.
My website

toneloco28
Mar 26, 2006, 04:04 PM

Dork.
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2006, 04:13 PM

Does the computer think the battery is plugged in at all? Or do you see an "X" in the battery indicator on the menu bar?

Scotttheking  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 26, 2006, 04:18 PM

Tried resetting the PMU, no luck.

Originally Posted by Dork.
Does the computer think the battery is plugged in at all? Or do you see an "X" in the battery indicator on the menu bar?

The LED on the plug of the adaptor is dark. It is plugged in. The PB recognizes that by showing hte plug in the battery indicator, and it shows the battery as well, with the remaining charge. However, it doesn't charge, and the battery update doesn't see the adaptor. I can run off battery, but cannot charge it again.
My website

Dork.
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2006, 09:51 PM

Well, then my expert opinion (which is worth precisely nothing! hah!) is that either your power adaptor is hosed, or your DC-in board inside the laptop is hosed. Given your story about the static charge, I'd say the DC board might be the culprit. You might want to find another (known good) power adaptor to plug it into to see if that works. While you're at it, see if you can find another battery you can test in your laptop to eliminate battery electronics problems as well.

DC-in boards do die from time to time, but I've never had one go on me, so I can't tell you what the symptoms are.

Forum Links
Forum Rules