Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > is there any way to change the cursor in osx for lefties?

is there any way to change the cursor in osx for lefties?
generationfourt
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2007, 05:52 PM

the cursor is angled off for right handers.. is there any way to change it in osx?

kick52
Baninated
Mar 9, 2007, 05:58 PM

you can get Mighty Mouse.
(its shareware though.)

bittorrent ...oh. how did that get there?

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 10, 2007, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by kick52 View Post
you can get Mighty Mouse.
(its shareware though.)

bittorrent ...oh. how did that get there?
I think he is making reference to the cursor, not the mouse...
My Blog-pakos.me

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2007, 01:46 AM

I think he is making reference to the cursor-changing program, not the mouse.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Curiosity
Senior User
Mar 10, 2007, 12:53 PM

He is referring to the angle of the mouse pointer. By default, it points up and left. He wants it pointing up and right.
If you get Mighty Mouse, you can export an image from a cursor set, flip the image with a graphics editor, save it, and import it back into the cursor set. You can also fix the hotspot with Mighty Mouse.

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 10, 2007, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I think he is making reference to the cursor-changing program, not the mouse.
My bad! I thought kick52 meant to get a mighty mouse & remap for lefties...I "ass"umed... Now I will go & check out the "shareware" program!
My Blog-pakos.me

generationfourt  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 10, 2007, 03:53 PM

damn what a bust... I can't believe windows has the option but not OSX. I never noticed it before because I just moused with my right hand, but I just bought a tablet and its been bugging me now.

I really don't feel like buying a program to fix it. hopefully 10.5 does something about itd

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2007, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by generationfourt View Post
damn what a bust... I can't believe windows has the option but not OSX. I never noticed it before because I just moused with my right hand, but I just bought a tablet and its been bugging me now.

I really don't feel like buying a program to fix it. hopefully 10.5 does something about itd
if they haven't fixed this by now....don't hold your breath.
anyway...i've been using mightymouse since os x 10.2, works great!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2007, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by generationfourt View Post
There is absolutely nothing to fix, so why would it?

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2007, 08:49 PM

well. it would not be unreasonable for apple to offer a reverse-cursor for lefties...

anyway i gave up waiting years ago; mighty mouse is a great app for this, and there are some simple (and sane) cursors available for it.

(there are also some really insane cursors...)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

msuper69
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2007, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by JKT View Post
There is absolutely nothing to fix, so why would it?
What kind of insensitive statement is that?

There is a problem is you're left-handed.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 11, 2007, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by msuper69 View Post

I'm not left-handed, but I do sometimes mouse with my left hand for space reasons. I find the cursor works just the same that way. But I mean, I guess this is a matter of preference.
Chuck
___

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2007, 02:20 PM

I mouse left-handed and it is no problem at all. Does it stop working just because you use your left-hand? No it doesn't.

The reason I say it is because there is no need for it to be inverted. I don't expect the menubar items or the Dock or my keyboard to be inverted just because I use my left hand, so why should I expect the pointer to be? It is something that Apple could do, but it isn't anything that needs fixing.

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Mar 13, 2007, 06:35 PM

I don't know what is more pathetic, the fact that people actually care about which way the mouse points or the fact tat people actually pay money for an app to fix it. The only part of the cursor that actually matters is the point at the tip, that's the only part which has any real functionality. The rest is just there to help you identify that point more easily. I guess people really will complain about anything.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2007, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by JKT View Post
I mouse left-handed and it is no problem at all. Does it stop working just because you use your left-hand? No it doesn't.

The reason I say it is because there is no need for it to be inverted. I don't expect the menubar items or the Dock or my keyboard to be inverted just because I use my left hand, so why should I expect the pointer to be? It is something that Apple could do, but it isn't anything that needs fixing.
All of those other OS features you mentioned are handed-agnostic while the mouse pointer certainly isn't. I agree it doesn't NEED to be fixed but it would be nice for those of us who aren't right-handed. If the shoe was on the other foit, you'd understand.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2007, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by parsec_kadets View Post
I don't know what is more pathetic, the fact that people actually care about which way the mouse points or the fact tat people actually pay money for an app to fix it. The only part of the cursor that actually matters is the point at the tip, that's the only part which has any real functionality. The rest is just there to help you identify that point more easily. I guess people really will complain about anything.
Give me a break. It's hardly pathetic to want a preference for which way the mouse pointer points. Even Windows has offered mouse pointers for left-handers. Apple's mouse has always been handed-agnostic while for many, many years all the PC mice where intended to be used by right-handers. That was a royal pain in the butt because it didn't fit the hand properly.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2007, 08:22 PM

How has nobody mentioned the Office apps? My pointer inverts to a lefty style mouse in Word all the time and it drives me nuts. You think Microsoft has this under control? ha, think again.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2007, 12:15 AM

Give me a break. It's hardly pathetic to want a preference for which way the mouse pointer points. Even Windows has offered mouse pointers for left-handers. Apple's mouse has always been handed-agnostic while for many, many years all the PC mice where intended to be used by right-handers. That was a royal pain in the butt because it didn't fit the hand properly.
How on earth does being left-handed require the mouse pointer to tilt right? I mean, if you prefer it, that's fine and valid, but I don't really see how your dominant hand requires it. I'm not suddenly rendered unable to function when I'm using a right-facing pointer with my right hand or a left-facing pointer with my left hand.
Chuck
___

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2007, 02:41 AM

I once had a colleague who used the mouse upside down. Now that was a screwed up motor-system …

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2007, 09:43 AM

you could sue Apple for discrimination?
we don't have time to stop for gas

psdenno
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2007, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by parsec_kadets View Post
OMG! I'm left handed and the shift lever on my car can't be reached with my left hand. I suppose I could complain, or move to England or Japan where the shifter is to the left of the driver. My wife, son, and I are all left handed Mac users and have no problem with the tilt of the cursor. If we were OCD, it might be an issue.

Think of the Mac using righties who have to use their left hand to depress the "Control" key in order to right-click the Apple mouse. Now, that's a problem!

MacTeo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2007, 04:36 PM

Hi all,
I made the lefty cursors for Mighty Mouse, you can find'em on http://mad4mac.altervista.org

Forum Links
Forum Rules