Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.4.9 is out - experiences?

10.4.9 is out - experiences? (Page 4)
shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2007, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Why not just close your laptop and it will go to sleep?
Maybe the owner does not want to have to go through the motions of closing and reopening the laptop if he is going to come back to it anyways to resume work at a later time.

ya i know... we are being lazy, but still...

This is the beauty of knowing/learning more and more keyboard shortcuts. (i.e., less fuss)
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Mar 15, 2007, 03:36 PM

So I managed to get native support for my Nokia 6133 working in iSync. I noticed that one of the newly supported phones in the 10.4.9 update is the Nokia 6131, which is the European version of the 6133. The only difference between the two is T-Mobile's customization on the 6133. So I edited the package contents, copied the Noika-6131.phoneplugin package and renamed it to 6133. I then modified any references to the 6131 in the contained files (including the .plist files) to 6133. Finally, I fired up iSync, scanned for devices, and this time when it found my 6133 it said it was supported. All syncing works as one would expect, including address book images.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2007, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by parsec_kadets View Post
So I managed to get native support for my Nokia 6133 working in iSync. I noticed that one of the newly supported phones in the 10.4.9 update is the Nokia 6131, which is the European version of the 6133. The only difference between the two is T-Mobile's customization on the 6133. So I edited the package contents, copied the Noika-6131.phoneplugin package and renamed it to 6133. I then modified any references to the 6131 in the contained files (including the .plist files) to 6133. Finally, I fired up iSync, scanned for devices, and this time when it found my 6133 it said it was supported. All syncing works as one would expect, including address book images.
well done

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2007, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by thisdarcy View Post
Ok, I'm in the installer. It won't let me install to the external drive, unfortunately, because it says OS X can't start from this volume. Its formatted for Macs, so I guess that means OS X just doesn't boot from externals. Bummer.

With my MB's HDD selected it says the following:

"You have selected to move the files in the System folder on this volume to a folder named "Previous System" and save existing settings and user accounts. After installing a new version of Mac OS X, your existing settings and user accounts will be restored."

Hmmm, that sounds about alright, though a little too vague or un-mentioning about what will happen to all my other files and apps. It says the install requires 15.5GB and fortunately with some recent spring cleaning I've got 20.7GB free.

My finger's on the button. Someone please either stop me or tell me its all gonna be alright!
Not so fast. OS X most certainly does support booting from external drives, but the problem is, depending on your CPU (Intel or PPC), you will need a different partition scheme. (AKA you gotta format and re-install to boot from the external, and if you're on an intel machine, you have to format with GUID Partition Table, and if you're on a PPC Mac, you need to use Apple Partition Map).

Use the "Archive and Install" feature of the install disk. You won't lose anything.

Now here's my real question, what did you do to the /System folder in the first place to cause the install to fail? (A couple of updates ago, if you removed Spotlight, it would cause the install to fail and do similar things to what it's doing now).

Tallest Skil
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2007, 08:20 PM

Hey, everyone. Nice to be here. I installed 10.4.9 the day it came out, but had not listened to music until today. I am not, to my knowledge, imagining this; nor is it a result of a change in the iTunes equilizer, but my music sounds like it is of a lower quality than before. It sounds... DEFINITELY... muffled (a new song just started to prove this). What do you suggest that I do? I also noticed that all sounds sound louder (I miss the old audio range...), but this muffling persists with volume increases. I expect better from the most advanced computer in the world. Songs in question are protected AAC's: bitrate 128kbps, 44.100kHz, Low Complexity (never noticed this before, can't imagine that this is the reason). For those curious, they're the Blue Man Group albums and Barenaked Ladies' Barenaked Ladies Are Me(n).

Any ideas?
Tallest Skil

hldan
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2007, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
What are you talking about? Archive and Install works just fine. You can see the results for yourself - /System, /Library, all the original applications, /usr, /private, /bin, /sbin, the mach kernel, etc. are all in the Previous Systems folder after an A&I. I'm not sure what more you could ask for in terms of getting the original system files out of the way.
Archive and Install is best used to reinstall the same OS. Things can get buggy if you are upgrading from say 10.4 to 10.5. I have 3 Macs, a PowerBook and a G5 and an iMac. When upgrading from Panther to Tiger I used Archive and Install and the Mac ran very jerky. Reformat and install came to the rescue. I have used Macs for over 10 years so I am no novice.
I am not the only one, there are several others who have reported issues with upgrading using Archive and Install.
It's the best solution to fix a buggy Mac but not to do major upgrades.

It's true that the old System Folder is set to the side but some files don't blend well from an old OS to a new one.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2007, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by hldan View Post
Archive and Install is best used to reinstall the same OS. Things can get buggy if you are upgrading from say 10.4 to 10.5. I have 3 Macs, a PowerBook and a G5 and an iMac. When upgrading from Panther to Tiger I used Archive and Install and the Mac ran very jerky. Reformat and install came to the rescue.
The problem was probably in your home folder somewhere. I've upgraded way more than just 3 Macs, and I've upgraded them from OS 9 to 10.0, from 10.0 to 10.1, from 10.1 to 10.2, from 10.2 to 10.3, and from 10.3 to 10.4. Through all of that, there was exactly one time that the Mac ran jerky afterwards, and that was because I had some startup item set that was incompatible with Tiger, and it got stuck in an infinite loop while running in the background. Turning off that startup item cured the problem right away. I'll bet that if you had tried under a new user account before knee-jerking and reformatting, you would have found that the new account had no problems.
I have used Macs for over 10 years so I am no novice.
How impressive. I've used them for 21.

My dad has also used Macs for approximately the same length of time, and he's definitely no expert, so I fail to see the relevance of bringing up how long you've been using Macs. Hell, my mom has been using them for at least 10 years, and she's still scared she's going to break something whenever she touches a computer.

I am not the only one, there are several others who have reported issues with upgrading using Archive and Install.
Link please. All I could find on Google were reports of third-party apps breaking because A&I moved some support files they need out of /Library or /System/Library/Extensions or wherever, an issue you'd obviously also have with reformatting.

Oh, and there's this one, which was caused not by the A&I, but by a buggy 10.4.2 updater which updated the apps in /Previous Systems instead of the ones in /Applications. While the more recent updates have this fixed in their TokenDefinitions.plist so that they don't search inside /Previous Systems, even if that weren't the case, you could easily solve that by just deleting the /Previous Systems folder before running Software Update after a reinstall.

It's the best solution to fix a buggy Mac but not to do major upgrades.
There is absolutely no benefit to reformatting over Archive and Install for major upgrades. The only time reformatting is preferable, ironically, is fixing a buggy Mac. If a hard disk's catalog is messed up to such a degree that even DiskWarrior has trouble fixing it, your best bet is a reformat.

It's true that the old System Folder is set to the side but some files don't blend well from an old OS to a new one.
Um, if the files are set to the side, they're not blending with the new OS files. The only real exceptions to this are in the home folder.
( Last edited by CharlesS; Mar 15, 2007 at 11:18 PM. )

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2007, 12:15 AM

It's working. Doesn't feel faster, doesn't feel slower.

ScoutDesign
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2007, 11:33 AM

Once I restarted my computer after the upgrade I began having issues with my screen going out of focus. I am on a Powerbook with an LCD screen. Different areas of the screen are slightly blurred (towards the sides). Also, sometimes areas "snap" back into focus for a second, and then they're blurry again. It's almost like pixel doubling in Adobe programs, but completely random.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks!
Scout

hldan
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2007, 11:53 AM

How impressive. I've used them for 21.

Um, if the files are set to the side, they're not blending with the new OS files. The only real exceptions to this are in the home folder.
I stand corrected although you don't have to be so rude with those comments about how long you and your family have been Mac users. I only mentioned that I was not new to Macs. It wasn't to throw off how smart I think I am like you.

Sych0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2007, 11:55 AM

So far so good, but my sound is just too loud. Are there any apps that I can use that limit the overall sound but still let me use the sound keys on my keyboard? (like the ipod's sound limiter?)

What about just turning down the level in Front Row like I can in itunes/quicktime/etc?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2007, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by hldan View Post
I stand corrected although you don't have to be so rude with those comments about how long you and your family have been Mac users. I only mentioned that I was not new to Macs. It wasn't to throw off how smart I think I am like you.
The implication was pretty clearly "listen to me, I know more than you because I've used a Mac for 10 years."

I'm not claiming that the fact that I've used Macs for a long time makes any difference either. What I'm pointing out is that how long you've used Macs is completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand. These days, pretty much everyone has used some sort of computer for at least 10 years, because it's pretty much become a requirement of modern life. It's especially absurd since OS X hasn't even been out for 10 years, and the "Archive and Install" feature hasn't even been around during all of OS X's lifespan. And of course the classic OS had such a different architecture that knowledge from the days when the equivalent of an Archive and Install involved renaming the System Folder and moving the System file into the Startup Items folder so the installer wouldn't recognize it doesn't really translate. So yeah, "I've used Macs for X years" isn't going to impress me.

Anyway, if you've got any links that describe actual problems caused by upgrading the OS using the Archive and Install method, I'd like to see them. As things stand, the only problems I can see that could be caused by an A&I would involve either the home folder or a corrupted disk catalog.
( Last edited by CharlesS; Mar 16, 2007 at 03:54 PM. )

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Chris Grande
Senior User
Mar 16, 2007, 05:23 PM

They appear to have also corrected the bug where the cursor shadow would disappear when disconnecting an external display.

SteveTech
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2007, 06:13 PM

I don't think this question is off topic, so I'm going to ask.

How many of you repair disk permissions before, after or both when doing a system update like this one? I have been repairing disk permissions religiously when doing an update like this and haven't had problems. I was just wondering if there is any correlation to an update going well (or not) depending on disk permissions being repaired (or not). Thanks.

-Steve

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2007, 06:26 PM

I Repair permissions everytime after I install.

Force of habit.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2007, 06:37 PM

I think the key to this update is Repair Permissions, disconnect any peripherals (other than you mouse and keyboard!) and make sure that there aren't any other programs running.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2007, 07:19 PM

I had a few crashes before I repaired permissions all involving iTunes and Final Cut Pro running at the same time.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2007, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by SteveTech View Post
I don't think this question is off topic, so I'm going to ask.

How many of you repair disk permissions before, after or both when doing a system update like this one? I have been repairing disk permissions religiously when doing an update like this and haven't had problems. I was just wondering if there is any correlation to an update going well (or not) depending on disk permissions being repaired (or not). Thanks.
I never repair permissions before or after an Apple software update, and have never had a single problem.

In general, repairing permissions after an update is only necessary if you think whoever made the installer was incompetent enough to make one that would screw things up in a way that would actually make a difference, like taking away read permission to the Applications folder or something. In the case of Apple, I don't really think this is likely.

Repairing permissions before an update is completely unnecessary. I have no idea why some people do this. When you enter your admin password to install the update, it authenticates a tool as root to do the installing. When something's running as root, it doesn't matter what the permissions are, because root ignores permissions. I can't think of any way you could hinder a Software Update from completing what it does once you've entered your admin password.

Parvez
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2007, 07:40 PM

Can anyone tell me how do i repair the permissions using the OS X CD that I got with my macbook?

What do I have to press at bootup and etc?

Thank you!

utw-Mephisto
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2007, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by MindFad View Post
It's working. Doesn't feel faster, doesn't feel slower.
Same here .. same old same old

beetleboy
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2007, 09:46 PM

Downloaded the update on my old G3 iMac 400. I always download updates and such to this machine first to make sure the update is viable before downloading onto my main unit. Restarted without a hitch and she's purring along just fine.
G4 17" iMac 1.25 Tiger
G3 Lime iMac DV 400 Tiger
G3 Snow iMac SE 700 Panther
G3 Graphite iMac DV SE 400 Panther

Northeastern292
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2007, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by kick52 View Post
we expect leopard to come out at june.
I hope Leopard comes out in August, or comes out in June with full G3 support.

I also hope Apple doesn't make the Summer 2001 iMac vintage until next summer, or the one after that. I don't think it will because they made 600MHz iMacs until 3/03, therefore the youngest iMac G3's are just turning four on March 18th, according to Apple Matters.

My mom's iMac (Snow Summer 2001 @ 500MHz) does run a little slow, but as long as it as it doesn't take a minute for the Dock to come up, I'm happy.
( Last edited by Northeastern292; Mar 16, 2007 at 11:15 PM. )
The Mac Collection:

Power Mac G4 Sawtooth at 450MHz, Power Mac G4 Gigabit Ethernet at 400MHz, three Power Mac FW800's at 1.0GHz, MacBook Pro at 2.0GHz, my late father's G3 iMac at 350MHz, an iMac at 500MHz, a PowerBook G4 (12-inch VGA) and a PowerBook 170

ursus
Mar 17, 2007, 12:16 AM

It's not a bug, it's a feature (really!).

It's intended to cut down on accidental disk ejections due to hitting the Eject key when you were aiming for something else, which is particularly easy to do on the laptops where the Eject key isn't too far from the Delete key.
Wasn't it always like that on the Macbook C2D? Or have I waited all those halfseconds in vain?
Macbook C2D 2GHz, 2Gb, 160Gb.

R0CK3TM4NN
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2007, 12:28 AM

Anybody having issues with their bluetooth mouse? I swear this started happening as soon as I updated, but my bluetooth mouse disconnects and reconnects like CRAZY now. I put fresh batteries in and still I get the same problem. The issue is weird, but it has happened every time so far.

Basically after a long idle period, I start using the mouse. The bluetooth icon shows its connected to the mouse, and my cursor moves for a second, but then it immediately disconnects. This repeats for about 5 or 6 times (disconnecting and reconnecting) until the connection is stable and I can finally use my mouse. I'm using a Logitech V270 travel mouse on my 2 Ghz Macbook if that helps.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2007, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by Parvez View Post
Can anyone tell me how do i repair the permissions using the OS X CD that I got with my macbook?

What do I have to press at bootup and etc?
Boot normally from the install DVD. When the installer comes up select Disk Utility from the menu.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2007, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by ursus View Post
Wasn't it always like that on the Macbook C2D? Or have I waited all those halfseconds in vain?
I know that on the iBook and PB you had to press and hold. I'm guessing this update just brought the feature back for the Intel portables.

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Mar 17, 2007, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post
I think the key to this update is Repair Permissions, disconnect any peripherals (other than you mouse and keyboard!) and make sure that there aren't any other programs running.
Based on what, asking a magic 8 ball? Or perhaps the paranoid schizophrenics almanac? I've never had to do ANY of those things when running an OS X update, and I've never had a single problem. Macs wouldn't be any better than PCs if you had to do this for each and every update. I do tend to do a clean install for each major version update, but I do that more to clean out preferences and other files left behind by old programs. It just seems silly to keep those around when I don't need them anymore.

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2007, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Northeastern292 View Post
I hope Leopard comes out in August, or comes out in June with full G3 support.
Given that tray-loading iMacs (at or less than 333MHz) aren't supported by Tiger, then this is extremely doubtful.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2007, 06:18 PM

WTF ?

My self-destruct button doesn't work anymore.
Do I also have to press it 2 seconds ?

Darn you Apple

-t

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2007, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by SteveTech View Post
How many of you repair disk permissions before, after or both when doing a system update like this one? I have been repairing disk permissions religiously when doing an update like this and haven't had problems. I was just wondering if there is any correlation to an update going well (or not) depending on disk permissions being repaired (or not).
I think more important than updating permissions is not launching other apps during the update: http://www.tuaw.com/2007/03/17/the-d...le-optimizing/

cyclespeed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2007, 12:48 PM

Back in 10.4.X (except for 10.4.9 I became quite attached to keying control eject and being offered options of "S" for sleep "R" for restart and "return" for shut down. This little time saver, not to mention energy saver is no longer available in 10.4.9.
Is there a solution to my misery? Why would they remove this function?
Cyclespeed

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2007, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by cyclespeed View Post
Back in 10.4.X (except for 10.4.9 I became quite attached to keying control eject and being offered options of "S" for sleep "R" for restart and "return" for shut down. This little time saver, not to mention energy saver is no longer available in 10.4.9.
Is there a solution to my misery? Why would they remove this function?
Cyclespeed
For both ejecting CDs or bringing up the Restart, Shut Down, Cancel, Sleep dialog box, it seems that 10.4.9 makes you hold down the eject key for a second instead of just tapping it. Try it again!

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2007, 02:15 PM

I'm not sure about the desktops, but on the laptops you don't use control-eject to bring up the Restart, Sleep, Shutdown dialog. You just hit the power button.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2007, 02:27 PM

That's just a setting under Energy Saver in System Preferences. You can change it. Laptops just come from the factory with "Press Power Button to Sleep" off. Desktops don't.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2007, 03:45 PM

Great news for MacBook users: Apple has finally fixed the terrible volume curve! Now my music doesn't become virtually silent at the halfway mark; instead, the speaker loudness seems to vary linearly with the volume setting. Also, I may be imagining it, but it seems like the maximum volume is a bit higher now too. Anyone want to confirm/deny this conjecture?

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Parvez
Forum Regular
Mar 18, 2007, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Boot normally from the install DVD. When the installer comes up select Disk Utility from the menu.
Thanks a lot. My disk had some permission errors and everytime I boot up my Macbook, it would take 1-2 minutes to display my wallpaper, load finder, then dock, and etc.

It's working great now and because of the 10.4.9 update, it's running pretty fast.

Thanks again!

rubaiyat
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 18, 2007, 11:51 PM

2 bugs (amongst others) still extant.

1. Memory leak in Safari

2. Still can't cut name or parts of names of files in List view in Finder. I have reported this to Apple in 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, 10.4, 10.5, 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and now 10.9.

With Leopard just around the corner these Tiger bugs seem set in concrete.

Leopard might resolve these particular problems, but going on experience Apple doesn't seem to consider resolving bugs a priority or improving its bottom line.

We will no doubt see more revolutionary features like Inkwell, or life altering events like Dashboard or time wasting retrogressions like Spotlight. But not genuine polishing of the GUI and elemination of bugs.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Mar 19, 2007, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by rubaiyat View Post

2. Still can't cut name or parts of names of files in List view in Finder. I have reported this to Apple in 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, 10.4, 10.5, 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and now 10.9.
(1) You're missing a digit in your version numbers, or you're reporting a bug in versions of OS X that don't exist yet.

(2) Yes you can cut names and parts of names. I just tried it in list mode and it works, in an indirect sort of way.

After clicking the file name, wait a second or two, then click the name again, as if you were renaming the file. You can then select the characters you want to cut. Use the keyboard shortcut to copy the text, and DELETE to delete the selected text. Right-clicking on a multi-button mouse to get a context menu won't work, you have to use the keyboard shortcuts.

I'd also venture a guess that your (2) is a low-priority item. Bugs and security issues in more important areas of the OS (buffer overflows for example) are going to get a higher priority than Inconsequential GUI details. It's these types of bugs that get priority and WILL in fact affect Apple's reputation and hence the bottom line. Nobody's going to stop using OS X because they can't copy

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2007, 01:37 AM

i have noticed that after upgrading that small preferences were undone. the time in the upper bar, the sound being shifted to the left a fraction, a couple other minor things as well. no biggie, just surprising

alex

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2007, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post
Also, I may be imagining it, but it seems like the maximum volume is a bit higher now too. Anyone want to confirm/deny this conjecture?
On my MBP I'm absolutely sure maximum volume is louder after the 10.4.9 update. On my MB I'm not sure. Possibly, but maybe it's just my imagination.

rubaiyat
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2007, 08:40 AM

Yes frdmfghtr, in my irritation I dropped the 4.

Hmm I think I worked out your "work around" long ago. My point is that we have had to cop a lot of slow downs, work arounds and niggling irritations since OSX came out 7 years ago. We should be moving forward not perpetually 2 forward 1 back. This is after all just a successor to even more annoying bugs in Panther.

OSX is supposed to be out of beta, right?

The Safari memory leak is much more serious as it is forcing me and many others to restart regularly to clear the memory.

I have a long list of bugs and failed GUI design but it would become tedious to list them all. Just say OSX's user interface is less than the perfection it is made out to be. I strongly disagree that "minor" GUI bugs should be ignored as these tally up to a considerable obstruction to personal productivity.

I am writing this on my 2.0 GHz iMac G5 running OSX 10.4.9 yet my iMac 350Mhz running OS 8.6 feels snappier in some operations and in such matters as font control leaves OSX in the dust.

btw Apple just ignores bug reports as far as I can tell.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2007, 09:01 AM

If repairing permissions is essential to a successful update, why doesn't Apple build it into the update process?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2007, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by rubaiyat View Post
The Safari memory leak is much more serious as it is forcing me and many others to restart regularly to clear the memory.
Tell us what kind of memory Safari is supposedly leaking.

If you're observing a decrease of 'free memory' and an increase of 'inactive memory' during Safari use you might be interested to know that this is not a 'memory leak'. If another application needs more memory it will make use of that inactive memory immediately. For all practical purposes inactive memory is available memory. There is no reason to expect or want large chunks of 'free memory'.

Frugle
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2007, 02:26 PM

Me neither. But I guess that was their reasoning.
on a regular keyboard it is not right above the backspace button... on my MBP keyboard its 2mm from the backspace, so if my computer is shifted at all, I hit the eject button instead of backspace ejecting my CD.. which I have done numorous times...

I'm so thankful for the delay, but I 100% think it should be a keyboard option...
15" MacBook Pro | 2.16GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 100GB 5400 rpm | 256MB X1600

rubaiyat
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2007, 05:21 PM

After some period of intensive usage, creating lots of tabbed windows for example, it consumes almost up to a gig of RAM then starts grabbing Virtual memory till there is almost no space left on my boot up hard drive.

This is a known issue and has been well covered in this and other forums.

This so screwed up my directory files I had to run DiskWarrior twice over it before I could get it fixed.

btw Repairing permissions on my iMac repeatedly wipes all my custom shortcuts in the window's sidebar, which means I have to take a screen snap before repair and try and find all my links again after.

As I said these are all GUI annoyances we could do without.

Another is the sometimes interminable delay and spinning beachball when passing over a submenu with multiple submenu options.
( Last edited by rubaiyat; Mar 19, 2007 at 05:33 PM. )

voicebox
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2007, 07:07 PM

Hi there,
I have a 3 year old 15" 1GHz Al PowerBook with 1Gb RAM previously running 10.4.8 and I have Just downloaded and installed the 10.4.9 PPC Update 72Mb from the Apple site - I never use Software Update.
Repaired disk permissions before downloading and again after installing.
No problems at all - everything OK ....!!
Also I have installed the 163Mb Combo - again from the Apple site - onto my 300Gb external LaCie HD. I used the Combo to upgrade from 10.4 straight to 10.4.9; I went through the same routine of repairing disk permissions before and after installing - again, no problems at all.
I just thought people would like to read a success story!
voicebox
( Last edited by voicebox; Mar 19, 2007 at 07:14 PM. )

hldan
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2007, 09:16 PM

If you're observing a decrease of 'free memory' and an increase of 'inactive memory' during Safari use you might be interested to know that this is not a 'memory leak'. If another application needs more memory it will make use of that inactive memory immediately. For all practical purposes inactive memory is available memory. There is no reason to expect or want large chunks of 'free memory'.
Um I don't think that's completely correct. When memory goes into inactive state that's memory reserved for apps that already used it prior. Any new apps open rely on "free memory" and if there's not enough free memory available then the application heads to the HDD for virtual memory. There would be no need for the new app to search the HDD for virtual memory if the inactive was available. That's why tons of ram is a necessity.

maximeguilbot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2007, 10:21 PM

I have the same problem as described by ScoutDesign, blurry screen on different areas of the screen..

I would be very happy if someone could find a solution...

Maxime.

bsussman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2007, 11:23 PM

I had not experenced the problem with disks ejecting prematurely, however I would like the option or a way to undo this change as I prefered the instant ejection as well as the drive running a cycle even without the disk, as it helped to alert me that the drive was still functional. k thanks.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Mar 19, 2007, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by maximeguilbot View Post
I have the same problem as described by ScoutDesign, blurry screen on different areas of the screen..

I would be very happy if someone could find a solution...

Maxime.
The only thing I can think of would be to check your screen resolution setting to make sure it matches the actual LCD pixel dimensions.

Forum Links
Forum Rules