Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anybody work at Best Buy, or a Loss Prevention Job?

Anybody work at Best Buy, or a Loss Prevention Job?
popsandfriends
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2007, 07:40 PM

ello,
To anybody who works Loss Prevention (assets protection), or any employee of Best Buy, I have a few questions. I am 17, and applied to the LP and PC Repair job on their careers site. I got a call this afternoon and I have an interview for Thursday afternoon. I want to let them know I am interested in LP first, because not only do I have a general understanding of loss prevention, but I know most of the laws and procedures. I would be quick to train. Would training be on-site, or would I actually be sent (flown?) somewhere to get it? What does a LP officer at Best Buy do, in an every day routine?

Thanks I might have more questions later depending on your responses.

Hunter

mac-at-kearsarge
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2007, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by popsandfriends View Post
ello,
To anybody who works Loss Prevention (assets protection), or any employee of Best Buy, I have a few questions. I am 17, and applied to the LP and PC Repair job on their careers site. I got a call this afternoon and I have an interview for Thursday afternoon. I want to let them know I am interested in LP first, because not only do I have a general understanding of loss prevention, but I know most of the laws and procedures. I would be quick to train. Would training be on-site, or would I actually be sent (flown?) somewhere to get it? What does a LP officer at Best Buy do, in an every day routine?

Thanks I might have more questions later depending on your responses.

Hunter
Let me start by saying, welcome to the BB family if your hired.

Unfortuently, you have to be at least 18 to work LP. And due to the serious nature of the postion, very few people in their late teens early 20's get the postion, or at least until you've worked their for a while.
iGeek

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 25, 2007, 09:59 PM

Trained? Ha.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2007, 01:04 AM

I worked LP a LONG time ago in a past life ... at the time you could work in that position at under 18. I think I was 17.

You have to take it seriously. 99.9% of the time apprehending a shoplifter is as simple as asking them to come into the office, filling out some forms and letting the local police pick them up. (Then there is the whole court thing ... but that's another story.)

However that .1% is where you can get into some trouble. I had confronted a "ticket switcher" at the exit to the store. Before I knew what happened I was knocked clean on my ass with a nice cut across my face. Fortunately I was working with a partner that evening. She was a woman with the build of an NFL linebacker. She caught the guy and laid a world of hurt into him.

What started as a misdemeanor shoplifting charge turned into a felony assault charge. He was a brilliant individual. My point being ... be alert if you get the job. (Even if it takes you a while.)

Good luck to you!
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 26, 2007, 11:24 AM

We had a guy steal a CD from a store inside the mall our store anchored. The record store manager chased the guy (not supposed to, but I would too) after calling Mall Security. The guy ran out through our store so of course we all joined the chase. So this procession of people chases the guy outside and as he's running across the parking lot with a pretty good lead he turns around and STARTS SHOOTING at every body chasing him.

Throwing shots over ONE f-ing CD? Seriously.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2007, 11:52 AM

How in the world is it a smart idea to have 17/18 year olds doing LP? I mean you can get yourself in a world of trouble if you accuse or touch someone without proper cause and like mentioned above most 30 year old shoplifters will level a skinny 18 year old.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2007, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by CMYKid View Post
Throwing shots over ONE f-ing CD? Seriously.
I'm not justifying him, but I'm sure he thought the size of the group chasing him over one CD was crazy too.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2007, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
I'm not justifying him, but I'm sure he thought the size of the group chasing him over one CD was crazy too.
Little did they realize the guy's buddy was emptying the registers at that very moment.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2007, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
Little did they realize the guy's buddy was emptying the registers at that very moment.
Actually, he was his buddy was in the store stealing another CD. Devious.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2007, 01:38 PM

chances are a 17 year old LP office is on the crime to begin with. a start that would employee them that young is asking for problems.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2007, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by residentEvil View Post
chances are a 17 year old LP office is on the crime to begin with. a start that would employee them that young is asking for problems.
Niiice. You sure have a lot of faith in young people, don't you, or was that what you did when you were that age? It seems that you weren't paying attention in school to grammar, spelling, and proper word usage.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2007, 04:27 PM

Yeah ... all 17 year olds engage in theft by conspiracy.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2007, 06:00 PM

why would anyone put a child in charge of a cookie jar?

gotcha.

but, we are talking about best buy.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2007, 06:12 PM

Best Buy flying someone somewhere for training? Ha.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2007, 06:22 PM

why would anyone put a child in charge of a cookie jar?

gotcha.

but, we are talking about best buy.
I don't consider a 17 year old to be a child. (Well, there are SOME that would fit that description) but not all.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2007, 07:06 PM

LP at best buy is essentially being a greeter. Get used to annoying your fellow employees with bag searches and the like. And telling me that I can't have my iPod on the floor to keep track of time. But make sure to get pissy at me if you find out I was on my shift 3 minutes more than I was supposed to be.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2007, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
LP at best buy is essentially being a greeter. Get used to annoying your fellow employees with bag searches and the like. And telling me that I can't have my iPod on the floor to keep track of time. But make sure to get pissy at me if you find out I was on my shift 3 minutes more than I was supposed to be.
Ya those bag checks are a real bright idea. I worked in a store long ago that did the same when we went home for the day. They never found anything as they didn't do the same bag check at lunch

Mithras
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2007, 07:10 PM

We send 18 year olds to get shot at in Iraq; I don't see why they can't chase after the occasional shoplifter.
I was on grand jury duty last month, and we had various LP people come in and testify. For the most part the cases were pretty straightforward, just requiring good eyes and an ability to not get bored.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2007, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
We send 18 year olds to get shot at in Iraq; I don't see why they can't chase after the occasional shoplifter.
One takes a vow and is trained to kill with a gun. The other is given a bad outfit with khaki pants and a name tag.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2007, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
I was on grand jury duty last month, and we had various LP people come in and testify. For the most part the cases were pretty straightforward, just requiring good eyes and an ability to not get bored.
There's a very simple reason that you shouldn't chase a shoplifter. You don't know if that person is armed, or if they have waiting accomplices who are armed, which then puts not only your life in danger, but possibly other innocent customers in a mall or in a parking lot. For all you know, the could be dangerous criminals. In the metro Detroit area, there was a ring that used to hit CompUSA fairly regularly. Several would come in, and distract employees with questions, while one would try to walk out with computers. They had a large SUV sitting out front, running, and on several occasions they actually rushed through an empty cashier lane and got away with systems. These guys were career criminals and were likely armed, and you're going to suggest that it's okay to chase them? About fifteen years ago, at a local Meijer store, an LP person, who had just finished a four year degree in law enforcement, and was waiting to get on a local police force, stopped a 16 year old kid, as he was going out the door. The kid pulled out a knife, and the LP guy, who was very well liked at the store, was killed! The store still has a plaque in one of the entrances in his honor. Would you like to be in his place? I don't think so.

Actually, there's also another reason; LP personnel are not law enforcement authorities, and as such, have no arrest capabilities, and aren't trained to abduct people in the manner in which law enforcement officers are. If you think it's worth your life, or someone else's, over a stolen CD, TV, computer, or whatever, then you don't think your life is worth much. Also, the majority of theft at retail is internal, and that's why many retailers check employee coats, lunch bags, briefcases, backpacks, and coats. The store actually even has the right to check customer backpacks, cases, and briefcases, but they rarely do, unless an alarm tag goes off.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Forum Links
Forum Rules