Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iLife 08 - First Impressions

iLife 08 - First Impressions (Page 2)
BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2007, 11:51 AM

It looks like anyone who thought iWeb would become a really good general-purpose web-creation app will be disappointed. It still appears to have the same absurd "publish to folder" method for non-.Mac web sites.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2007, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
It looks like anyone who thought iWeb would become a really good general-purpose web-creation app will be disappointed. It still appears to have the same absurd "publish to folder" method for non-.Mac web sites.
Well, you just answered my next question.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

mindwaves
Aug 8, 2007, 12:04 PM

well, used iPhoto '08 on my new iMac and it is pretty neat except that I had it import my photos from my previous '06 library and ran into 2 problems.

1) Some image duplication on the images which have been rotated
2) None of my comments have been imported. I guess the best thing is to copy your iPhoto '06 library over and stuff it in your pics folder and then launch iPhoto '08 to upgrade your library? I haven't tried this yet.

iWeb is pretty nice. Going to test this thing out for 60 days before I decide to buy.

GuillaumeB
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2007, 12:21 PM

hum, just out of curiosity, where do you generally publish your HTML files when creating a website if it's not in a...folder?
My website
MBP 13" Uni - 4GB RAM
MBP 15" - 4GB RAM

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2007, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by GuillaumeB View Post
hum, just out of curiosity, where do you generally publish your HTML files when creating a website if it's not in a...folder?
Directly to the server, like iWeb does for .Mac sites. And then when updating, only sending what's been changed, like iWeb does for .Mac sites.

Have you used iWeb for creating non-.Mac websites? Because anyone I know who has used it for that purpose, well, has stopped using it for that purpose. The "publish to folder" method is vastly inferior to every other inexpensive Mac web creator app (Rapidweaver, Pagespinner, Sandvox, etc.).

shinji
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2007, 01:43 PM

Has anyone tried the new library feature in iMovie? Do you like it and would really use it to organize your clips, or it's cumbersome/annoying?

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2007, 01:53 PM

Has anyone installed it on a PM dual 1.8 G5? Minimum is supposedly dual 2.0, wondering if it will install at all. If it doesn't work, it seems almost useless to buy if you lose the integration between iPhoto and iMovie.

Also, was iDVD updated?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2007, 01:56 PM

Minimum is Dual 2.0? That's a bit much for consumer software.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2007, 02:05 PM

Well, I guess they don't sell a machine below those specs, so it's a 'get with the Intel program' move.

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Aug 8, 2007, 03:40 PM

Has anyone here with an iPhone tried submitting to a web gallery from their phone yet? If you have, I've got a couple questions for you.

1: What are your general impressions?
2: Is the photo still down-sampled to 640x480 like it is with all other emails? Or is it the full 2Mp image?
3: This is more for everyone. Why, oh why, didn't Apple add the ability to include a comment when submitting a photo? I'm thinking this would be awesome for a moblog, except for the fact that you can't include a comment with your submission.

That's it so far, I guess I'll go off and research those Automator scripts for updating a blog via email and iWeb. Still, that's not as nice of a solution since it requires that my home computer be running for it to work.

jamiemcf
Aug 8, 2007, 06:42 PM

Is it possible to import posts from another blog in iWeb? I don't remember it being there in 06 so was just wondering....? It's an XML file that Wordpress exports...

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2007, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
Well, I guess they don't sell a machine below those specs, so it's a 'get with the Intel program' move.
Even with my MacBook, there are transitions that don't work under Keynote. Surprising that Apple would release software that doesn't provide complete functionality with computers they sold a year earlier.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2007, 08:03 PM

I found it amusing that Steve in his presentation said that everybody was going to be putting their movies on the web in "better-than-DVD" quality to send to their parents, and that iDVD was just for those people who 'still want to burn DVDs'. Isn't he jumping the gun a bit? DVD's aren't exactly antiquated yet, and I'm pretty sure my grandparents would prefer to watch a DVD on their television rather than try and watch a movie on their G3 with dial-up.

Toyin
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2007, 08:11 PM

OK, let's get this straight.
Rolls work the way they did. 'Photo mode' is the same as iPhoto 06.
You can also switch (default) to 'Event mode'. This creates events that are an alternative way to group the photos. You don't have to reorganize the photos, and by default iPhoto creates a new event out of all of the photos taken on a certain day.
Yes but I'd rather use events instead of rolls. I understand that new imported events get grouped by day, but what about older pictures?

So before I upgrade, do old rolls get preserved as events or does iPhoto split up rolls into new events by the day a picture was taken?
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

dawho9  (op)
Senior User
Aug 8, 2007, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Toyin View Post
Yes but I'd rather use events instead of rolls. I understand that new imported events get grouped by day, but what about older pictures?

So before I upgrade, do old rolls get preserved as events or does iPhoto split up rolls into new events by the day a picture was taken?
As best as I can tell (although I didn't have the best organization of rolls) is that each roll was converted to an event and none of them were merged.

dw9
- Intel iMac 20' Core Duo - 1GB RAM
- Technology Blog) http://portalxp.org/Web/blogs/rbrynteson/

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2007, 11:08 PM

So, does iMovie '08 suck as bad as people say it does? No timeline, etc.

(I haven't had time to try it out myself.)

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2007, 12:51 AM

What about the 1.83GHz mini?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2007, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Isn't that an Intel?? I thought the 2 was only for G5s?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2007, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Gankdawg View Post
Has anyone installed it on a PM dual 1.8 G5? Minimum is supposedly dual 2.0, wondering if it will install at all. If it doesn't work, it seems almost useless to buy if you lose the integration between iPhoto and iMovie.

Also, was iDVD updated?
System Requirements

• Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 processor; iMovie requires a Mac with an Intel processor, a Power Mac G5 (dual 2.0GHz or faster), or an iMac G5 (1.9GHz or faster; iDVD requires a 733MHz or faster processor.
• 512MB of RAM; 1GB recommended
• Mac OS X v10.4.9 or later
• 3GB of available disk space
• DVD drive for installation
• QuickTime 7.2 or later

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2007, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
That would be a "Mac with an Intel processor," and thus meets the system requirements.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2007, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Gankdawg View Post
Also, was iDVD updated?
Yes

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 9, 2007, 03:50 PM

So far the only app I've really used is iPhoto 08. HOnestly, after a day of use, I only like the "hide" feature. The Events completely butchered my organization of my photos, but likely the folders I've set up over the last few years remained. What I'd love to see is have Events organize themselves based on the Folders I already have setup instead of just choosing based on date. I've always used iPhoto as an image repository, not just a place for my photos. My wallpapers, clipart, stock photos, and "funny" images are now scattered all over the place. The idea of sitting down and going through 10K + images in however many events it made just doesn't appeal to me, but sadly, its what I'm going to have to do.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2007, 06:11 PM

Yeah, I actually am beginning not to like iPhoto 08. It trashed a lot of roll information, and the edit controls are now hidden another click away. I seem prettier, but less intuitive and easy.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2007, 06:18 PM

So far, iWork 08 seems to be pretty popular, while iLife 08 is…not.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2007, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
Does iPhoto 7 work with Homepage again directly? Or only iWeb?
Anybody know the answer to this?

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2007, 10:08 PM

Anybody know the answer to this?
It doesn't need iWeb. Those slick galleries are sent directly from iPhoto.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2007, 11:08 PM

It doesn't need iWeb. Those slick galleries are sent directly from iPhoto.
That wasn't my question. In older versions of iPhoto, you could add pictures directly to your Homepage sites's through iPhoto. In iPhoto 6, they took away that ability in favor of iWeb. A lot of users were upset by that and I was hoping they would now give you the choice to upload to iWeb, Homepage, or Web Gallery.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Aug 9, 2007, 11:32 PM

Couple things about iPhoto '08:

- it's using CoreData...which explains why it's faster...and makes the iPhoto library a clean package that can be easily backed up.
- 'Events' is a very nice way to visually sort groups of pictures...a feature that further boosts speed since the photos are divided into categories
- iPhoto still creates duplicate files when a picture is modified (not certain about this one yet...I know the package still has a 'Orginals' and 'Modified' folder...but I can't tell if it's for backward compatibility)

Not a huge update over '06 but that's fine...the refinements make this a very good upgrade.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2007, 12:07 AM

That wasn't my question. In older versions of iPhoto, you could add pictures directly to your Homepage sites's through iPhoto. In iPhoto 6, they took away that ability in favor of iWeb. A lot of users were upset by that and I was hoping they would now give you the choice to upload to iWeb, Homepage, or Web Gallery.
It's iWeb or Gallery.

Toyin
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2007, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!! View Post
Couple things about iPhoto '08:

- it's using CoreData...which explains why it's faster...and makes the iPhoto library a clean package that can be easily backed up.
this means that unless 3rd party back up software can peer into the package, backups will require copying the entire package if any changes are made.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
S.T. 1995

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2007, 08:16 AM

It's iWeb or Gallery.
Damn.

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2007, 01:12 PM

Another annoyance of mine is with iWeb, does every progress window have to be on top of all other windows?

Honestly, while its starting up/opening/saving... I don't want to see it on top of my other work.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2007, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Toyin View Post
this means that unless 3rd party back up software can peer into the package, backups will require copying the entire package if any changes are made.
He said that the package still has an "Originals" and "Modified" folder inside, so I assume the package is the usual kind of folder package that only appears as a single file from the Finder. So all backup programs will still see all pictures as individual files and can back up the changed and added ones only.
The advantage of closing the iPhoto Library from within the Finder is that unexperienced users will no longer navigate into it and mess it up inadvertently.

johnkhan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2007, 03:32 PM

My wife is out picking up my copy of iLife '08 right now. I will run it through it's paces and post back my feedback over the weekend. What I tried of it on the demo units in the store it seems to be overall a great improvement for many of the applications.
John Khan
http://www.johnkhan.com/
iMac G3 SE Graphite 1GB, 12" PowerBook 2GB, 15" PowerBook 1GB, 15" MacBook Pro 2GB
160GB Apple TV, 80GB iPod Video 5.5G, 1GB iPod Nano 1G White, 8GB iPod Nano 2G Black

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2007, 04:31 PM

Yeah, I actually am beginning not to like iPhoto 08. It trashed a lot of roll information, and the edit controls are now hidden another click away. I seem prettier, but less intuitive and easy.
The new default for 2-clicking an image is a quickzoom- which I LOVE. I hated that for most of the time when I just wanted to look at a photo larger, I was put into edit mode.

That said, there is a pref where you can restore the old functionality, if you so desire.

As for rolls and Events, my upgrade was very smooth. I had to adjust a few events, but of my 15,000 photos/rolls/folders, they were pretty much all preserved perfectly.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Aug 11, 2007, 06:06 PM

On inspection, iLife (and iWork) doesn't seem ready for Leopard. Kinda disappointing to see an Apple product ship so close to Leopard's release and not follow any of the resolution independence rules Apple had set with developers.

Of course, I don't expect Apple to allow users to scale the GUI in the first release of Leopard...I'm even skeptical Apple will let people scale the GUI until they themselves start selling computers with higher PPI screens.

Still...there will be 3rd-party hacks that will allow people to scale the GUI and (I haven't checked how much of Apple's Leopard apps are ready for resolution independence) and I'm disappointed everything will look good except Apple's iLife and iWork suites.

Toyin
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2007, 06:11 PM

I got my iLife in the mail a couple of days early and installed it.

WOW

iPhoto
My carefully organized rolls were converted into events. Comments and Titles remained unchanged. The GUI is slicker, though my scroll-bars were a little funky due to Tinkertool. iPhoto 7 SCREAMS compared to iPhoto 6. I'm in awe at how fast browsing each event is and how much quicker it loads full sized photos. This is on my MBP as well as my wife's Macbook (yes I got the 'family pack'). There is some trickery there which becomes obvious when I switch back and forth between both laptops, but it makes for an enjoyable experience on both machines. I was even impressed with how quickly my Library updated. I can't wait to try out the gallery

iMovie
The king is dead, long live the king. The execution of the new iMovie is OUTSTANDING! I also can't believe how quickly and easily the MBP handles it. Scrubbing movies is instantaneous. No rendering delays when adding transitions (all 12 of them ) The GUI is nice as well. I'm not sure how saving works, but it seems to save projects on the fly. On iMovie 6, I would save every few minutes as a habit. They've really simplified the application and it's a real consumer application now. iMovieHD really was a prosumer application. For a quick 5 minute video iMovie 7 is perfect. For a nice 30-60minute video, with a real soundtrack, iMovie HD is an option or spring for Final Cut Express.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
S.T. 1995

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2007, 06:46 PM

Has anyone else found that iMovie's performance with HD truly sucks? The skimming is close to worthless, which makes editing very painful. With non-HD it's fine. (I use a MBP 2 ghz core duo).

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2007, 11:10 PM

and another annoyance...

I just did a format, ran through my usual backup automator action, verified everything backed up as it should have... did my quarterly format (its the only way I can get rid of garbage and free up space on the system. After recopying all my data back, and reinstalling software, I finally sat down to fix up the mess iPhoto 08 did to my photo library... and of course, my pictures don't just show up.

I checked my Pictures folders, and the iPhoto library is where it should be, but it did not automatically fix itself. Luckily the Original images are in the "iPhoto Library" bundle, but its still a very huge annoyance. I've hunted through the Apple support forums and nothing points to what I shouldh ave backup up instead of the "iPhoto Library" bundle from the "Pictures" folder.

---

after I posted this, I deleted the iPhoto Library, and recopied the file. This time around, all my photos are restored. Nice to have the pictures back, but this still falls under my annoyances.

---

and the latest.... As I go through trying to fix the mess Apple calls Events, and get them to actually organize properly (I really wish I'd been given the option of choosing "create events by Folder") My latest annoyance... so far on roughly 100 photos, the date/time stamp in the photo's metadata is wrong. Prior to updating to iLife 08 on the MGP, I copied my iPhoto library to my iBook . I noticed a few pictures seemed to be in the wrong order when sorted by date, I double checked against the ibook's library (the backup I made prior to switching), and they are way off, some by a few hours, others by days/weeks.
( Last edited by mpancha; Aug 11, 2007 at 11:46 PM. Reason: update)

jeff25624
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2007, 12:45 AM

I've been a Mac user for a few years now, however I never truly took advantage of iLife for the majority of that period. I didn't own a digital camera until last December, and so much of what iLife offered me was "useless." However, since that point I've gone on to use the iLife apps in a variety of ways. iLife 08, after deciding to splurge, seems well worth it to me.

I had never used iMovie previously to 08, so I cannot say whether or not the experience using it was better than what iMovie had been. However, I was more than pleased to take a few videos I have recorded during the course of the previous school year, and in 5-10 minutes I had made a movie with relatively little effort. That latter aspect is the key, because as your Average Joe consumer, I love the ability to create a move simply, and have it look "professional" to a point. So thumbs up for iMovie.

On to iPhoto. I already appreciated the simplicity it offered in that I could just hook up a camera, export the photos, wham bam thank you ma'am. Using it proved to be satisfactory, the simple editing options were basically all I ever ended up needing. So now, what about iPhoto 08? At first the skimming features were confusing, but I quickly realized the genius of it, and have already found it useful for seeing if there were more photos in the album than there should have been. The drag and drop method of rearranging photos between "events"; brilliant. So much easier than what I would have done with the previous version of iPhoto. My one question though basically comes with how the Library is displayed in the Finder, when I go there it simply shows the one folder which loads up iPhoto the application. I have yet to discover where I can view the library as I used to, to pick out one individual photo.

iWeb. The reason I find excitement with iWeb this time around is because I recently purchased a .Mac subscription from a friend. Now, the option to be able to maintain a website that looks great, and is incredibly simple is nothing but a positive to me. I already have a web page up, as well as a Web Gallery. iWeb can be frustrating at times, and even seems too simple on occasion for a novice like myself. On the whole, Apple has provided an idiot proof way to build a website.

GarageBand and iDVD I have either not used, or seen much of a difference between their previous version. Garageband is the same for all intents and purposes as it always was, and seeing as how my MacBook does not have a Superdrive iDVD is "useless" to me.

It is important for me to note these are the opinions of a man who most decidedly is not horribly computer savvy. I think I define the average user, albeit with a little more knowledge. From an anecdotal point of view, overall the iLife apps seem snappier than they previously had, especially within iPhoto. I have been running the on my 1.83 GHz CoreDuo MacBook, with 2 GB of Ram, take that as you may. A power user, I am not. But basically, so far, from the perspective of an average customer/consumer, I am quite pleased with what iLife 08 has shown me, and look forward to learning even more about it.

jeff25624
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2007, 12:45 AM

Apologize for the double post, someone pleae remove this.
( Last edited by jeff25624; Aug 12, 2007 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Double Post)

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Aug 12, 2007, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by jeff25624 View Post
My one question though basically comes with how the Library is displayed in the Finder, when I go there it simply shows the one folder which loads up iPhoto the application. I have yet to discover where I can view the library as I used to, to pick out one individual photo.
The library is now a 'package' file. Right-click 'iPhoto Library' in your Pictures folder and choose 'Show Package Content'.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2007, 11:36 AM

Don't mess with the iPhoto Library folder. Access your image through iPhoto (or the media palette in the program your working in) and if you need a working copy in the Finder drag the image from iPhoto to the desktop.
If you manually mess with the iPhoto Library folder you risk losing images.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Aug 12, 2007, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Don't mess with the iPhoto Library folder. Access your image through iPhoto (or the media palette in the program your working in) and if you need a working copy in the Finder drag the image from iPhoto to the desktop.
If you manually mess with the iPhoto Library folder you risk losing images.
Very true. And I think (and as you mentioned earlier) it's part of the reason why Apple made the library a single-file package...to prevent people from messing with it too easily.

iPhoto is the photo-browser of choice...the Finder isn't. Any photo manipulation should be left to iPhoto. Backups should be done within iPhoto or via a drag and drop of the iPhoto Library file.

SWFan
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2007, 02:15 PM

Does iPhoto 7 work with Homepage again directly? Or only iWeb?
Nope, it works just like '06. In other words, "Homepage" is still gone. You can use the .Mac Gallery, send to iWeb, or use the File-->Export-->Web Page options.

SWFan
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2007, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
So, does iMovie '08 suck as bad as people say it does? No timeline, etc.

(I haven't had time to try it out myself.)
It doesn't suck for me. I've put together more movies in the last week than I have over the last two years in previous version of iMovie.

sja777
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2007, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
Well, I'm not (entirely) above stealing the Web Gallery javascripts to stick into my own site.
Or is anyone aware of a remotely similarly spiffy open-source gallery? I see that Apple is using open source components like scriptaculous.
How about PostCardViewer?
I have no signature.

Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2007, 07:18 PM

Is it TRUE!?

Please DONT tell me that iMovie has been reduced to a dumb-ass's guide to making a video. I'm all for the make a video in 20 minutes thing, but I want timeline and other such options, too..

If there is no timeline or more advanced editing, Apple has made a SERIOUS blunder.

Additionally, if I have iMovie 08 installed, can I also have iMovie HD 6 installed? Because it sounds like I'll need it.

jamiemcf
Aug 12, 2007, 07:23 PM

When you install iMovie 08 it saves iMovie HD (iLife 06 version) in a seperate folder called iMovie (previous version).

I think it's kinda weird that Apple knew how much upset this update was gonna cause because they chose to let you save the previous version of iMovie but nothing else.

Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2007, 07:25 PM

what if i were to get an iLife '06 disc off eBay or something, and install iMovie HD 6 on top of iMovie 08?

Forum Links
Forum Rules