Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Warranty issues with modified video card in G5

Warranty issues with modified video card in G5
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2008, 08:07 PM

Hey everyone,

I installed a 6800ultra that I purchased off ebay, replacing the stock 9650. I added the arctic cooling nv-5 silencer fan to the 6800 and I'm wondering if this would void the warranty for the ENTIRE machine (meaning if I take it in to be fixed with a non-graphics card related issue...will they fix it?). Its still under applecare and I suspect that it is beginning to leak. My concern is that the genius bar guys will blame the leak on the new fan installed on the graphics card...and assume that the pump cooling the processors will somehow be damaged by a more effective graphics card fan. Do you think I should try to find a cheap 9650/other low end stock gfx card to throw in there when I take it in to be replaced/repaired.

Thanks for any help on this!

oh PS: how long do i have until meltdown if i can smell the coolant right now?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 3, 2008, 04:28 AM

I wouldn't even risk the coolant getting into anything with the machine powered on, something will go pop, probably the PSU since it's at the bottom of the case else the processors might overheat if it's leaking that fast.

Unless the fan on that graphics card is touching a part of the cooling system, it could hardly be blamed for a coolant leak.

Have you taken the side panel off to have a look?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2008, 04:32 AM

Can you put the old GPU back in?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2008, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Can you put the old GPU back in?
This is my solution as well. As long as you have to old GPU, just put it back in the machine.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 3, 2008, 04:52 AM

I had thought that since he was thinking of buying another one, that he'd sold the old GPU.

2009059  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2008, 10:49 AM

I sold the old one. As for looking around in the machine...no white residue as other leaking machines have had, but I expect to see some soon because the machine is just acting wierd (random poweroffs...instant shutdowns so to say, once in a while so I think the psu is having issues.)

Here is a link to the type of fan on my graphics card: Mac Nvidia 6800Ultra w/NV Silencer 5 Cooler

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2008, 10:58 AM

As seanc said, as long as it's not visibly encroaching on the cooling pipes, it shouldn't make a difference what after market card you have installed.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2008, 11:09 AM

Technically if its not effecting the components in question, apple should honor the warranty. However you may have argue the point. I've seen circumstances where they did not honor the warranty stating the non-stock component was the cause, even when it was completely unrelated. If the video card is not touching cooling mechinisms, you should be ok. Its probably better to have them look at it now rather then later if it is developing a leak.

Forum Links
Forum Rules