Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Unable to move mouse or type after software update

Unable to move mouse or type after software update
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2009, 02:55 PM

Hi all,
I just installed the latest software update (last night, I think there was some security and iLife or iWork stuff) and my machine is now crippled! When I turn it on, it gets to the login screen, but my mouse is stuck in the top left corner. I can't type either. The red light on the bottom of the mouse does not light up at all, either...and I've tried every USB port on my computer. Luckily, I have a second copy of OS X installed on another drive inside the computer and booted off that with no problems...and I'm typing this on it right now. My problem is I am unable to boot off of my primary disk, which has all my settings, files, etc (this one is just barebones OS X).

I tired resetting the PRAM several times, as well as repairing permissions, but there has been no change. Is anyone able to help me on this!?

Thanks in advance!!!!

ibook_steve
Feb 17, 2009, 03:43 PM

Weird. It's obviously not a hardware problem since your machine works fine when booted from another disk. Try starting in Safe mode (hold cmd-s during boot) to see if that helps. Perhaps you have a login item or some other app that's killing the mouse and keyboard.

Worst case fix: do an archive & install of the OS, then rerun all the updates.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

2009059  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2009, 07:13 PM

I reinstalled 10.5.6 and everything is back to normal! The update a few days must have messed some stuff up.

Thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules