Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powering Titanium PB from car cigarete lighter

Powering Titanium PB from car cigarete lighter
trinko
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2001, 09:07 PM

Has anyone powered their Ti Powerbook from a cars cigarete lighter? If so what hardware do you need and where do you buy it? Thanks.

uberden
Forum Regular
Apr 15, 2001, 09:45 PM

Check Madsonline or Lind

[This message has been edited by uberden (edited 04-15-2001).]

Kestral
Senior User
Apr 16, 2001, 02:38 AM

Originally posted by uberden:
Check Madsonline or Lind
Why spend $120 on a bunch of stupid-ass adapters when you can go to Radio Shack or your local hardware to store to buy a power inverter (it plugs into the cigarette lighter and the output is a standard 3-prong electrical outlet for anything and everything, including Powerbooks) for less than $40?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 16, 2001, 12:40 PM

True, but cheap power inverters (like Radio Shack's) don't produce proper sine wave output, they use [at best] an approximated (read: stepped) sinewave, at worst a pure square wave. Either way, if used frequently, it reduces the life of the power supply, because the power supply is designed for sine wave input.

tooki

finboy
Apr 16, 2001, 04:44 PM

Yep.

------------------
Shop smart, shop S-Mart! You got that!!?!!

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 16, 2001, 05:12 PM

that is a good way to ruin your laptop, if you want an inverter though plenty of places sell ones that specifically work with computers but they are way more than a lighter adapter would cost, or if you really good you can make your own, but you have to be careful or your power will not come out clean.

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 16, 2001, 05:15 PM

I hightly recommend the $99 dollar model from lind.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2001, 05:24 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tooki:
[B]True, but cheap power inverters (like Radio Shack's) don't produce proper sine wave output, .......

I dis agree I have used 12 volt inverters on my powerbooks since the original PB100 (sony) and have never hurt any of the power transformers. The power from the transformer is clean ..... laptops run on low voltage that has been cleaned up by the transformer. You could afford to replace 2 or 3 tranformers for cost of a Lind 12 volt adapter.

Steve

trinko  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2001, 10:24 PM

Thanks for all the inputs. I bought the Lind unit. Frankly if I'm going to spend the money for an expensive laptop the extra $50 is worth the peace of mind even if it's not really necessary. Thanks again for all the input.

P.S.
My dad is very sick please keep him in your prayers. Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules