Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Latest guesstimates for the 15" AlBook?

Latest guesstimates for the 15" AlBook?
U n i o n 0015
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2003, 02:27 PM

I could either buy a 15" TiBook this week or wait a few weeks for an updated 15". Of course, I'd rather have the computer now especially if I wait a month and nothing comes out. Bluetooth isn't that important to me, but the Airport Extreme is. The 12" is too small for my crappy eyes and the 17" is too expensive even with my school's discount.

Anybody know if they will update th 15" soon or not update it at all? It seems like the odd man out with the new 12" and 17".

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2003, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by U n i o n 0015:
I could either buy a 15" TiBook this week or wait a few weeks for an updated 15". Of course, I'd rather have the computer now especially if I wait a month and nothing comes out. Bluetooth isn't that important to me, but the Airport Extreme is. The 12" is too small for my crappy eyes and the 17" is too expensive even with my school's discount.

Anybody know if they will update th 15" soon or not update it at all? It seems like the odd man out with the new 12" and 17".
Somebody said somewhere here in a post that a 15" upgrade should out in a month...
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

PeterKG
Senior User
Mar 16, 2003, 04:17 PM

I think you will have to wait for Apple to have shipped the current backlog of 17" Powerbooks before you see un update to the 15".

They are not going to risk cancellations on the 17" units for people who decide they would rather have the 15" if it's introduced
with the same features as the 17" at a lower price.

mjarski15
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2003, 04:55 PM

I was talking to the IT guy at my university the other day and noticed that he had a new TiBook and I asked him why he didn't wait a month and get the 15.4" AluBook. He told me that he spoke to the apple rep. that comes to our university, and he said that the new AluBooks weren't shipping till June/July. I don't know if the apple rep. knows anything for sure or was just speculating but I thought that I would share the info. (Don't kill the messenger, me, just passing along info.)
20", 2gigs ram, 500gig HD, 2.16ghz core 2 duo iMac
iBook 700 Combo/14.1
OS X

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2003, 05:46 PM

Well, my best guess is that it will come out at Macworld New York. Even though the 17-inch PowerBook has just started shipping, Intel's new Centrino products put increasing pressure on Apple to come out with a revamped 15-inch PowerBook.

I've heard that the new PowerBook's coming out in "about a month," but my better judgement tells me to ignore this rumor. It's just too soon for Apple to release a 15-inch PowerBook. If they did release one, it couldn't be any faster than the 17-inch PowerBook unless they updated it as well.

The 15-inch PowerBook will likely come with a 1- and 1.25-gigahertz processors when it is released. ATi's Mobility RADEON 9600 is a logical choice for Apple, but they might opt to use a newer nVIDIA graphics chipset instead. Apple could offer the 15-inch PowerBook with the Mobility RADEON 9600 and the 17-inch PowerBook with the Mobility RADEON 9600 Pro. I believe Apple is going to only offer the lighted keyboard with the 17-inch PowerBook, though.

The iBook line is due for an update soon. It'll likely be updated at Macworld New York along with the 15-inch PowerBook.

iDORK
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2003, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
Well, my best guess is that it will come out at Macworld New York. Even though the 17-inch PowerBook has just started shipping, Intel's new Centrino products put increasing pressure on Apple to come out with a revamped 15-inch PowerBook.

I've heard that the new PowerBook's coming out in "about a month," but my better judgement tells me to ignore this rumor. It's just too soon for Apple to release a 15-inch PowerBook. If they did release one, it couldn't be any faster than the 17-inch PowerBook unless they updated it as well.

The 15-inch PowerBook will likely come with a 1- and 1.25-gigahertz processors when it is released. ATi's Mobility RADEON 9600 is a logical choice for Apple, but they might opt to use a newer nVIDIA graphics chipset instead. Apple could offer the 15-inch PowerBook with the Mobility RADEON 9600 and the 17-inch PowerBook with the Mobility RADEON 9600 Pro. I believe Apple is going to only offer the lighted keyboard with the 17-inch PowerBook, though.

The iBook line is due for an update soon. It'll likely be updated at Macworld New York along with the 15-inch PowerBook.

Macworld New York is in July ?

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 16, 2003, 06:20 PM

Originally posted by PeterKG:
I think you will have to wait for Apple to have shipped the current backlog of 17" Powerbooks before you see un update to the 15".

They are not going to risk cancellations on the 17" units for people who decide they would rather have the 15" if it's introduced
with the same features as the 17" at a lower price.
That makes no sense at all. Using that logic they should never release a 15-inch because it will just take sales away from the 17-inch.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 16, 2003, 06:22 PM

Considering there will be no Keynote at MWNY, I really doubt they will sit on stuff and use that event to announce them. I'm thinking the iBook and 15" will come out when they are ready, not a moment later.

MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2003, 06:26 PM

Originally posted by chrisutley:
Considering there will be no Keynote at MWNY, I really doubt they will sit on stuff and use that event to announce them. I'm thinking the iBook and 15" will come out when they are ready, not a moment later.
I remember hearing that Apple wouldn't be doing a keynote address at Macworld New York in 2004, but I thought everything was still on for 2003.

Perhaps they will come out in a month like I've heard.

U n i o n 0015  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2003, 06:41 PM

Well, all I really care about it the updated casing design and AE. A speed bump isn't a concern to me since I'm moving from a Pentium III 866Mhz to a 1Ghz Apple.

I guess I will go ahead and order a 15" TiBook!

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2003, 07:04 PM

Well, all I really care about it the updated casing design and AE. A speed bump isn't a concern to me since I'm moving from a Pentium III 866Mhz to a 1Ghz Apple.

I guess I will go ahead and order a 15" TiBook!
Good decision..

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2003, 07:05 PM

I remember hearing that Apple wouldn't be doing a keynote address at Macworld New York in 2004, but I thought everything was still on for 2003.

Perhaps they will come out in a month like I've heard.
How reliable would be your source Sean?

Sakino
Senior User
Mar 16, 2003, 09:47 PM

I been waiting for the new 15 al pb to be released ever since keynotes. Overtime I found myself falling into depression with delay of the 17inch. Well maybe not depression, but hey... With intel releasing their new chip and the 17 inch pb just going out the door I highly doubt apple will release the 15 inch anytime soon. Why may you ask this? Even if apple had some 15 inch pbs stocked up, it would be stupid for them to release it. I feel intels new chip will force them to do an upgrade sometime during the summer on all processor chips for the pbs. If they were to release a 15 inch in a month, they will more then likely be force to release the 15 inch with a processor upgrade with by summer time due to a possible decline in sales. Althought I have only been interested in purchasing an apple since december, I plan on waiting it out for the new 15inch pb. My prediction is around July, and every order will be shipped by mid August just time for students who plan on attending college.

My opinion:
Media, and reviews will play an important role in apples decisions, along with sales. I must say that apple hasnt proven to me yet that this is the year of the laptop. They have yet to release anything that brings about major improvments. Yes they 12" is nice for the ppl who are on the go, and the 17" is good for ppl as a desktop replacement. Where is the goods for the middle group? Updating a laptop with a new case, ram, airport extreme doesnt impress me that much either. Yes it's an improvement, but they need to top it off with a new processor. Then maybe you can consider this the year of the laptop if intel doesn't kill their sales.

PeterKG
Senior User
Mar 16, 2003, 09:52 PM

My opinion:
Media, and reviews will play an important role in apples decisions, along with sales. I must say that apple hasnt proven to me yet that this is the year of the laptop. They have yet to release anything that brings about major improvments. Yes they 12" is nice for the ppl who are on the go, and the 17" is good for ppl as a desktop replacement. Where is the goods for the middle group? Updating a laptop with a new case, ram, airport extreme doesnt impress me that much either. Yes it's an improvement, but they need to top it off with a new processor. Then maybe you can consider this the year of the laptop if intel doesn't kill their sales. [/B]
Will someone tell us what is so f@#$in great about the new Intel chip that makes it such a threat to Apples Powerbooks? I don't get it.

todrain
Senior User
Mar 16, 2003, 11:12 PM

With the 17" shipping now, it seems that the new 15" is far off. I doubt that Apple would release the units with the same processor, and it's too soon to update the 17" units.

While I first said May, I'm thinking that late June/early July now. So much for the year of the laptop!

I'm thinking I should just buy a Ti - I'm sure that I won't be dissapointed, and I won't have to wait for months for a product that may or may not (much more likely) arrive soon.

wilsonX
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2003, 11:27 PM

I'm gonna still hope for the new 15's to be released within a month's time. No I haven't any sources...just hope. But we shall see.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Mar 16, 2003, 11:38 PM

We'll likely see a new iBook before we see an updated 15'. As for when the Powerbook line will be updated, my bet is in June.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

maelstrom65
Forum Regular
Mar 17, 2003, 12:11 AM

I would have liked to have waited for a cheaper 15" PB with similar specs to the 17", but I'll be in the middle east when it finally does get released (if it does this year). So the 17" was pretty much my only choice. The 12 is too small and I didn't want to go with anything "older".
"Hermann Goering would have been better than Rimmer. Okay, he was a drug-crazed transvestite
but at least we could have gone dancing" - David Lister 3rd Technician JMCS Red Dwarf

PowerBook G4 17"
ADS External FW HD Enclosure w/ a WD120Gb 7200 RPM Drive
30Gb iPod
Logitech MX500 Optical Mouse
Logitech Elite Keyboard
Sony SJ22 Clie'
Powermate
Powerwave
iCurve
iBot Pro (Deceased)
iSight

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 17, 2003, 02:00 AM

Originally posted by chrisutley:
That makes no sense at all. Using that logic they should never release a 15-inch because it will just take sales away from the 17-inch.
No, I think the argument is that Apple doesn't want folks with existing orders for the 17" in the hopper to "downgrade" to the 15". They want to fulfill the backorders...basically, there are going to be folks right now who ordered the 17" because it's aluminum or is the newest kid on the block but would really prefer to have 15" and/or save a little money.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2003, 04:19 AM

Apple tends to release computers in pairs. The iBook doesn't need to be updated right now. It lacks Bluetooth and AirPort Extreme, but its processor speed and other features coincide perfectly with the PowerBook product line right now. Apple's shamelessly telling people to use a USB Bluetooth adapter on the lower-end iMacs they're selling, and they're recommending the same for users who want Bluetooth on new PowerBooks and iBooks that don't inclinde Bluetooth either. Apple will probably release updated, 15-inch PowerBooks at the same time it releases updated iBooks.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2003, 09:34 AM

Originally posted by John123:
No, I think the argument is that Apple doesn't want folks with existing orders for the 17" in the hopper to "downgrade" to the 15". They want to fulfill the backorders...basically, there are going to be folks right now who ordered the 17" because it's aluminum or is the newest kid on the block but would really prefer to have 15" and/or save a little money.
Yep..I agree..

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2003, 09:41 AM

Apple tends to release computers in pairs. The iBook doesn't need to be updated right now. It lacks Bluetooth and AirPort Extreme, but its processor speed and other features coincide perfectly with the PowerBook product line right now. Apple's shamelessly telling people to use a USB Bluetooth adapter on the lower-end iMacs they're selling, and they're recommending the same for users who want Bluetooth on new PowerBooks and iBooks that don't inclinde Bluetooth either. Apple will probably release updated, 15-inch PowerBooks at the same time it releases updated iBooks.
Yes, That's what they did last time with an ibook and PB upgrade the same day.. Which was 5 month ago. If Apple keeps going with the 6 month cycle revision, the new books should be around pretty soon... But because apple came out with new products (12&17") 2 month after the 15" update, I would think that we won't see anything new before 2-3 month ie June..But that is pure speculation...

workerbee
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2003, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by PeterKG:
Will someone tell us what is so f@#$in great about the new Intel chip that makes it such a threat to Apples Powerbooks? I don't get it.
Compared to a 1GHz PB: should be about twice as fast, if not more. About twice the battery running time - 3 to 5 hours of real usage.
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2003, 02:10 PM

It's true. Macs are about a year behind in terms of CPU performance. Motorola still hasn't switched to the industry-standard, 0.13-micron manufacturing process yet.

workerbee
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2003, 04:00 AM

(from an appleinsider forum posting by niji)

sony's new, just out, centrino sporting laptop.
it is a beautiful machine.
-up to "13.5 hours of computing time on battery"
-2.1 kg in weight
-combo type drive
-up to 60 Gig hard drive
-either1.3 or 1.6 Pentium M
-usb 2
-firewire (iLink)
-14.1 ultra sga active matrix lcd

the design is absolutely stunning.

link (in japanese, but with many pictures):
http://www.vaio.sony.co.jp/Products/PCG-Z1/

2.1 kg, same screen rez as the 17" PB, incredible battery life, and blowing any PB out of the water when using (for example) Macromedia's MX Studio apps.

That's what makes the Centrino bad news for Apple.
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

kerl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2003, 10:01 AM

i just read a review of the new centrino vaio machine on http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/review/13/1/3251.html.

obviously, the battery life is not impressive at all... i wonder wether they were talking about the same computer...

TheOtherOne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2003, 03:46 PM

please can i have a link about the new 15" Powerbook as I would have got a 15" ti book by Sunday mb but this has changed everything
**Damn Right**

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2003, 03:58 PM

No. You may not have a link. None exist.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2003, 04:01 PM

Originally posted by TheOtherOne:
please can i have a link about the new 15" Powerbook as I would have got a 15" ti book by Sunday mb but this has changed everything
??? what are you talking about ???

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2003, 04:10 PM

Originally posted by Patcarla:
??? what are you talking about ???
He wants a link to a site that details the features of the new PowerBook like the Japanese site details the features of the new VAIO. However, he doesn't realize that the details of the new PowerBook have not been released yet.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 18, 2003, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by kerl:
i just read a review of the new centrino vaio machine on http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/review/13/1/3251.html.

obviously, the battery life is not impressive at all... i wonder wether they were talking about the same computer...
Proper link is here.

3 hours battery life. Under 5 lbs though.

TheOtherOne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2003, 05:40 PM

oh sorry i knew about the vaio 1 though and it is on the sony style website for �1,999
**Damn Right**

Forum Links
Forum Rules