Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > dupe one MBP to another, via intermediary

dupe one MBP to another, via intermediary
chasg
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2007, 03:03 PM

Hi All,

My present MacBook Pro (C2D 2.33) is being lent out for a month. I've got a second one on order, but it won't arrive before the first leaves.

The first one is going to be wiped, and I of course want to get all of the info off and get it on to the new one.

Last time I took all info off a MacBook Pro (hard drive needed to be replaced), with an eye towards putting it back exactly as it was before, I used Carbon Copy Cloner and copied everything to an empty hard drive (on my desktop machine). When the repaired machine came back, I used CCC again to copy the data back, but I had problems with spotlight on the restored machine, and some apps acted a little strange.

So, can anyone recommend a workflow to help me:
1) copy all data off a MacBook Pro on to an empty external hard drive on a desktop mac
2) copy all of that data back to a different MacBook Pro (which won't be around at the same time as the first is)

Thanks in advance!

Chas

Abbas
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2007, 03:18 PM

When you run through the OS-X installation/setup, it asks you if you want to transfer data from another Mac. Say yes and have a Firewire cable ready.

-a

chasg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2007, 03:24 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, but I can't: the first MBP will be gone before second arrives.

But thanks for the reply (I've used this feature extensively in the past :-)

Cheers!

Chas

uicandrew
Senior User
Jun 17, 2007, 05:06 PM

superduper is the best backup program ever. i used carbon copy cloner because one of my friends suggested it, and the program confused me.

Superduper is the way to go. trust me.
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

chasg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2007, 05:07 PM

cool, thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules