Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Time Capsule or Mac mini???

Time Capsule or Mac mini???
MacOS
Jan 8, 2009, 01:15 PM

Looking for network based storage. Although neither Time Capsule nor Mac mini have RAID I think either one would be a good solution. Any Pros or Cons choosing one over the other? Any other ideas beside these two?

TIA
MacOS

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2009, 01:52 PM

I have a time capsule. I'm returning it. Configuration is a nightmare. Doesn't work will with my existing network. Got it to finally work by disabling the router and wifi features, and just use it as a basic NAS drive connected to a gigabit switch. Since I have a mac mini already, it makes no sense for me to spend $300 for a basic 500GB NAS drive.

I have a Mac Mini. Will just use that instead of the Time Capsule for Time Machine. Plug in a RAID drive if you want RAID and you are set. Use Disk Utilities to create a RAID from two hard drives. I have an external firewire case that has 2 bays for hard drive. Will make a good RAID drive.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2009, 07:58 PM

Mac mini... Time Capsule is very slow.

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2009, 10:53 PM

I have a Time Capsule. It is... regrettable.

For one, swapping out/upgrading the hard drive is a PITA. (Have you ever torn a ligament? It sounds and feels about the same when you open up the TC. And oh yeah, bye bye warranty on that.) However, the mini won't help you in this regard.

Also, although I am a huge fan of the Airport Extreme, the concept of the TC - merging a router and a hard drive into one - really just doesn't have any advantages. The only one I can think of, which happens to be to only reason I'm keeping my TC at the moment, is that it allows you to have two separate network drives "connected" to a single Apple router. (I suppose if you are a very new newbie, then the idea of having it all-in-one poses as a good selling point.)

At least with the mini you are buying a machine that has practical uses. I'm not sure its best use is as a NAS, however. Other options: Just get an NAS enclosure. You can get one for a single-disk application or a big hefty expensive hot-swappable RAID box. (And don't waste your money on a Drobo.)
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

Forum Links
Forum Rules