Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > hard drive tools

hard drive tools
MacOS
Apr 17, 2009, 06:10 PM

Before putting my valuable data on a new external hard drive, I would like to thoroughly and completely test it. What tools (any platform) would you suggest I look into?

TIA
MacOS

ibook_steve
Apr 17, 2009, 07:56 PM

Test it for what? Drives fail: it's an unfortunate fact of life, and the only thing you can do is have a backup (Time Machine is good) or good drive tools (Disk Utility, Disk Warrior) that will let you get stuff off of them before they completely die. You can also try to get good quality drives to begin with.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2009, 08:07 PM

Best you can do is use disk utility to zero out the drive and then look at the SMART data from the drive.

MacOS  (op)
Apr 17, 2009, 10:18 PM

My bad. If you don't say want you mean then how can you expect others to know what you said.

I was thinking more along the lines of a scan for bad sectors.

MacOS  (op)
Apr 17, 2009, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
Best you can do is use disk utility to zero out the drive and then look at the SMART data from the drive.
How do I read the SMART data?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2009, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by MacOS View Post
How do I read the SMART data?
Disk Utility shows it. But only for SATA-connected drives. Drives connected through FW/USB don't show their SMART status in DU.

You can chose to write zeros first to force the disk to find any bad sectors and map them out, but IMHO that's a waste of time. Especially if you want to do it thoroughly.

I'd stick to Steve's advice. Buy a good disk and then make sure you have a good backup strategy. Every disk will die some day. You just want to make sure that doesn't happen too soon and that when it does you're well prepared.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2009, 10:32 AM

The point is to look at the list of bad sectors and if they're high for a new disk to return it and get a better one. That and some disk controllers will drop a drive if it takes to long to remap a bad sector.

MacOS  (op)
May 1, 2009, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
The point is to look at the list of bad sectors and if they're high for a new disk to return it and get a better one. That and some disk controllers will drop a drive if it takes to long to remap a bad sector.
Exactly! I found this tool from PROSOFT. Drive Genius 2 can defragment a volume, analyze a volume and repair it if necessary. Its testing capability goes a few steps above other drive utilities with media surface scanning and long term data integrity checking. Drive Genius 2 can also measure the throughput of the drives to see if they are performing up to par.

Hope this helps!

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
May 1, 2009, 03:31 AM

My opinion: Drive Genius sucks.
It reported no problems whatsoever with a drive that was completely failing.
(Disk Warrior correctly told me the drive was bad.)

MacOS  (op)
May 1, 2009, 02:42 PM

FWIW, there is a KB article @ TechTools that says Disk Utility will map out bad block IF you FIRST select the drive (not the partition\volume name) and Erase with the ZERO data option.

Forum Links
Forum Rules