Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Batch Compress Movies

Batch Compress Movies
tavilach
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2006, 10:40 PM

I have a whole lot of moves from my SD300. They are very high quality, but 512 MB for 4 minutes is just ridiculous, and I believe an MPEG4 compression on them (they are AVI files) would do wonders. If I'm wrong, let me know. Anyway, they're all in iPhoto. Is there any way that I could batch compress all my movies and have iPhoto reflect the new versions. I don't even know how to compress a single AVI file into MPEG4, so any help would be fantastic!
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2006, 10:42 PM

Heh, I have the same camera. The MJPEG codec does wonders for quality and editing, but the files are huge.
You can use Quicktime Pro to recompress each to H.264 or another MPEG4 variant. I don't know how to automate the process.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2006, 10:46 PM

If I bought Quicktime Pro and used Automator, perhaps that'd work?
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2006, 11:35 PM

midwinter
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2006, 12:52 AM

ffmpegx will most likely do it.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2006, 12:58 AM

Hmm, so it seems that the conversions shouldn't be too hard. As for iPhoto, I'd have to destroy my entire library to do this. Any way to tell iPhoto that the new, smaller movies are the same as the old, deleted ones?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2006, 02:44 AM

FYI, AVI is a container format, not a codec. Just the fact that it's an AVI has no implications at all for the filesize.

Forum Links
Forum Rules