Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > OS X 10.2 on Beige G3 -- is RAID possible?

OS X 10.2 on Beige G3 -- is RAID possible?
Nep2ne
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 18, 2003, 11:17 AM

Subject says it all. Hoping to be able to do this, but unsure if it's possible. Basically need to get 2 80GB drives into a beige G3. Since OS X 10.2 needs to be installed on the first 8 GBs of the drive, I don't see how this is possible. Any suggestions appreciated.

Does the rev matter? This is a desktop model, not minitower. Thanks in advance.
( Last edited by Nep2ne; Apr 18, 2003 at 11:30 AM. )
------
Friend of All Cats.

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2003, 03:09 PM

Software RAID won't work since you cannot partition your RAID 0 disk array afterwards. Hardware RAID will work.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Nep2ne  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 18, 2003, 03:12 PM

Do you know if software RAID will eventually be supported? And at the moment, does anyone know of a list of OS X-capable ATA Raid cards? I know Adaptec's OS X support is lacking (the company I'm working at today inadvertently bought a 1200A).

Got another machine (G4) to do the RAID on, and no problems so far going straight through the single ATA in on the bus. Thanks, all.
------
Friend of All Cats.

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2003, 05:14 PM

Originally posted by Nep2ne:
Do you know if software RAID will eventually be supported? And at the moment, does anyone know of a list of OS X-capable ATA Raid cards? I know Adaptec's OS X support is lacking (the company I'm working at today inadvertently bought a 1200A).

Got another machine (G4) to do the RAID on, and no problems so far going straight through the single ATA in on the bus. Thanks, all.
Well, in order to support it Apple would have to eliminate the <8 gig limit on OldWorld machines, which I believe is a Open Firmware issue and not liable to be eliminated. So, short answer, probably not. You could very well have software RAID on your machine, (I have on mine) but you won't be booting off it. Sorry.

---Josh

JumpGates
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2003, 08:22 PM

Originally posted by Nep2ne:
Subject says it all. Hoping to be able to do this, but unsure if it's possible. Basically need to get 2 80GB drives into a beige G3. Since OS X 10.2 needs to be installed on the first 8 GBs of the drive, I don't see how this is possible. Any suggestions appreciated.

Does the rev matter? This is a desktop model, not minitower. Thanks in advance.
I have a beige DT with H/W RAID.
(I think its a rev 3 DT)
I'm using an ACARD ATA-133 RAID card (AEC-6880M) with two 40GB drives striped together as one 80GB drive. Works great! The OS X partition is much bigger than 8GB --> 40GB! Boots with no problem. (two other partitions are 9.0.4 and 9.2.2 and are bootable, too) I dual boot rather than use classic. Cleaner IMHO. Had to remove my ZIP drive so that I could use both left side bays for the 40s and reach to the card. I had to carefully route the two cables over into the drive bays, and flatten them good so that they wouldn't catch when I slide the case shut. Good way to slice a cable!! Eventually used e-tape to protect from rubbing and shorts. I had previously bought a VST card, only to be disappointed in lack of OS X RAID support. Also REAALLY didn't like the whole S/W RAID thing. L8

Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2003, 07:18 AM

My card is a Sonnet Tempo RAID133 (it's built for mac)

It's fast, it's great, and it's absolutely painless to set up. Got 2 120's on it right now. Gonna stick 2 more 200's on it when I get paid.

Forum Links
Forum Rules