Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Migration to new mac -- utility?

Migration to new mac -- utility?
Nep2ne
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 14, 2005, 03:41 PM

I know that starting up a newer Mac for the first time will run an Apple utility -- this utility allows you to use an older mac in Firewire Target Disk Mode to get older account information onto newer machines. Does anyone know if this utility/software is available as a standalone app?

I have a friend going from a Powerbook to a Desktop and would prefer a new install of the OS but keep all of their account info from the Powerbook.

Sorry to post this to two forums, but it's both a Powermac issue and a software issue.
------
Friend of All Cats.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2005, 03:49 PM

Every new Mac comes with the Setup Assistent. If you make a fresh install it opens automatically, so I don't understand why you ask for a standalone version. The "standalone" version is inside the Utilities folder, but obviously you only need this if you want to transfer user folders after an install.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2005, 04:26 PM

There's an invisible startup check file, probably on the root of the drive, that lets the OS know the Setup Assistant has been run. If you delete that file and restart you'll be able to run the assistant again.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

brapper
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2005, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
There's an invisible startup check file, probably on the root of the drive, that lets the OS know the Setup Assistant has been run. If you delete that file and restart you'll be able to run the assistant again.
any idea what that file is called?

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2005, 05:12 PM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
At a guess, it's to move over to a 'pre-owned' Mac?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2005, 05:31 PM

The invisible file is actually in the folder /var/db and named .AppleSetupDone. So open the Terminal and type cd /var/db and then type rm .AppleSetupDone and restart. If the rm does not work, you will need to use sudo.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2005, 06:19 PM

i don't see the need to remove this file.

a) You said you wanted to make a fresh install. So that file doesn't even exist yet.
b) If you're not making a fresh install you can just launch the Setup Assistent from the Utilities folder.

Nep2ne  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 14, 2005, 11:23 PM

Well, the reason I'm asking is if there is a standalone version of this migration assistant: I have a friend going from a powerbook to a G4 -- both have been previously set up. All I want is to easily (read: EASILY) transfer her home folder, account info, etc. without any hassle.

IS THIS POSSIBLE using Apple's utility -- or any other way -- without going all out Unix and sh*t?

Thanks in advance.
------
Friend of All Cats.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2005, 11:28 PM

As I said before the standalone Setup Assistant is in the Utilities folder.

file:///Applications/Utilities/Setup%20Assistant.app/

Nep2ne  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 14, 2005, 11:45 PM

Ah, then this app must only come with newer machines, hence my reluctance to see it. I'll have to snag it from someone with a newer machine. THanks!
------
Friend of All Cats.

Forum Links
Forum Rules