Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X won't even install

OS X won't even install
mxc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2001, 03:09 PM

I'm on a Power Mac G3 366(upgraded from a 266), with two hard disks. Whenever i try to boot up off of the os x cd, i get strange errors, either a white screen that says it can't find a system folder or what i think is OS X booting up, a little mac icon and a spinning colored wheel as my cursor... but then loading stops and a bunch of text scrolls up my screen, saying stuff like 'Unresolved Kernel Trap' and the very last line is 'panic: we are hanging here.' whats with this? is my cd-drive funky, cuz i get weird sounds from it.. but then i try booting os x through my external cd-r, and that doesnt work either.. i'm sure its compatable with my computer, but do i need to modify my disks or any other special preparations?

entropic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2001, 04:32 PM

Is your CD an internal ATAPI drive from Apple that came with the machine? Is it set to Master or Slave? Did you remove all SCSI devices and all PCI cards? I would start by removing all SCSI devices and any SCSI PCI cards the let us know what happens.

-entro
--------
Clever sig here.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2001, 10:37 PM

It's not as complex as you would think (or hope..) Mac OS X doesn't work on upgraded machines. Sonnet (I think) said they had a software solution for their cards, but I haven't heard if it works or not.

When Apple said that X is not supported on upgraded machines, they meant it doesn't work.
-Aaron
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

mxc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2001, 10:47 AM

thats insane.. if os x supported my computer before the upgrade, why can't it support it afterwards? oh well, i guess i'll try to see if sonnets adapter works..

Forum Links
Forum Rules