Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Remote Assistance

Remote Assistance
newtonuk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2005, 06:37 AM

Is Apple Remote Desktop the only solution for assisting Mac Users remotely?

I have recently upgraded to a Mac from a Windows PC and have convinced a family member to do the same.

However, I find that unlike Windows XP I am unable to connect to her machine remotely to help her through some of the new things that she is experiencing with her iMac.

I have a broadband connection and the remote machine is on dial up. Both are connected to the internet through the same ISP.

Please don't tell me that I have to spend £300 to be able to do something that I was doing with XP for free.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2005, 06:59 AM

There are free programs for OSX (and just about every other platform out there) which let you do this, using a protocol called VNC. The most popular VNC server for the Mac is OSXvnc; install this on your family member's machine. Then use a VNC client (the most popular Mac client is Chicken of the VNC) on your machine to connect to it.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2005, 11:14 AM

You don't even need VNC Server anymore; it's built into OS X now. Going into System Prefs, Sharing and in Apple Remote Desktop there is a VNC option now.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2005, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by JHromadka
You don't even need VNC Server anymore; it's built into OS X now. Going into System Prefs, Sharing and in Apple Remote Desktop there is a VNC option now.
I wasn't aware of that. Cool!
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

DarwinX
Jun 23, 2005, 12:32 PM

This discussion may or may not help: http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=260805

newtonuk  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2005, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by JHromadka
So in theory, I can connect to any Mac that has this option activated, with any VNC Client software?

I assumed, maybe incorrectly, that this was purely for the Apple Remote Desktop which is far too expensive for the occasional use.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2005, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by newtonuk
So in theory, I can connect to any Mac that has this option activated, with any VNC Client software?
Yes, so long as it's running ARD 2 or greater. ARD 1.x used a proprietary protocol.

An ARD 2 listener comes with Tiger. The one in Panther is 1.1. You an upgrade the Panther machines, but you need the ARD admin console to do it.

newtonuk  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2005, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by CatOne
Yes, so long as it's running ARD 2 or greater. ARD 1.x used a proprietary protocol.

An ARD 2 listener comes with Tiger. The one in Panther is 1.1. You an upgrade the Panther machines, but you need the ARD admin console to do it.
So I refer back to my original post...

Originally Posted by newtonuk
Is Apple Remote Desktop the only solution for assisting Mac Users remotely?

I have recently upgraded to a Mac from a Windows PC and have convinced a family member to do the same.

However, I find that unlike Windows XP I am unable to connect to her machine remotely to help her through some of the new things that she is experiencing with her iMac.

I have a broadband connection and the remote machine is on dial up. Both are connected to the internet through the same ISP.

Please don't tell me that I have to spend £300 to be able to do something that I was doing with XP for free.

smeger
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2005, 08:50 PM

newtonui, as Millenium stated, you can also use OSXvnc as the server, rather than ARD. Either will work fine. OSXVnc is free. ARD Client (which is what you need and which, confusingly, is the one that includes the VNC server) is also free, but you need a particular version, and I don't know if it's a free solution for all OS versions or not.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2005, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by smeger
newtonui, as Millenium stated, you can also use OSXvnc as the server, rather than ARD. Either will work fine. OSXVnc is free. ARD Client (which is what you need and which, confusingly, is the one that includes the VNC server) is also free, but you need a particular version, and I don't know if it's a free solution for all OS versions or not.
It comes with Tiger, and is available for free for Panther - you can download it from Apple's site.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules