Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > strategy for TIme Machine using AE and usb shared disk....

strategy for TIme Machine using AE and usb shared disk....
sedlacek
Sep 9, 2007, 08:01 PM

Hi Gang-

In preparation for Leopard's Time Machine, I've recently bought a 750 GB USB HD form home network that I've attached to my AE base station. However, I noticed (and confirmed via various searches) that data transfers are torturously slow (1-3 Mbps via 802.11n). Considering that I've got 50 GB of a 120 GB I want to back up (along with two other Mac units), I'm looking at quite a few hours. Hence my question about Time Machine: Am I correct in understanding that initially Time Machine would conduct a complete backup of my HD (which, b/c of the slow transfer rates would persumably take all night and them some) but that subsequent snapshots would be significantly smaller and thus the slow transfers wouldn't be so troublesome? My thought is that I would connect my MBP C2D to my home network and have Time Machine do 'it's thang'.

So, my question: Is my strategy sound? Could it be improved? If so, how?

TIA

-a
--------------
MBP-2.33GHz/3GB/15-inch
TiBk-667MHz/768MB/15-inch
Lomdard-333MHz/384MB/15-inch
PB-3400/20MHz/144MB/12.1-inch

Forum Links
Forum Rules