Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac + external monitor. How does it look?

iMac + external monitor. How does it look?
Rab Mush
Jul 31, 2008, 12:39 AM

so I plan on hooking up my new iMac to my 32inch HDTV when I finally get it. I'm gonna get the adapter, and then get a cord from the adapter to my TV through HDMI. Just a few questions...

when I want to switch to my other screen, I just run the mouse to one side and it appears on the other screen?

is the dock divided between two screens, or is it just on one of them?

can I drag windows in between windows? like, have Final Cut running on one screen and the rest of my stuff running on the other?

I'm definitely a huge noob when it comes to this. All help appreciated, thanks
started out hustlin'
ended up ballin'

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2008, 01:38 AM

Well to start with, your TV has less resolution than your iMac display does, so keeping that in mind you wont have much joy extended your desktop (unless you run similar resolution on your iMac), but you could run it in mirror mode. (both displays showing the same thing)

Have a look in the Preferences > Displays once your TV is connected and you see the options to move the dock to either display (but not both) when your extending your desktop.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2008, 09:59 PM

Yes. One, with the menu bar. Yes.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2008, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Rab Mush View Post
when I want to switch to my other screen, I just run the mouse to one side and it appears on the other screen?
If you select spanning, yes. If you set the displays to mirror, no. You can select spanning (Apple refers to this as "Extended Desktop") from the screen menu bar icon or in System Prefs > Displays.

is the dock divided between two screens, or is it just on one of them?
In spanning mode you can arrange the two screens with respect to each other. You can also select which one of the screens displays your menu bar. The Dock will be on the same screen. Sys Prefs > Displays > Arrangement

can I drag windows in between windows? like, have Final Cut running on one screen and the rest of my stuff running on the other?
In spanning mode, yes.

Chase265
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2008, 12:33 PM

here is my dual setup with my 24' iMac and HP monitor set to spanning...

connected by mini-dvi to dvi from the mac to dvi-hdmi to the HP monitor

outaru
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2008, 05:49 AM

here's mine

Forum Links
Forum Rules