Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Used Spaces for the First Time Today

Used Spaces for the First Time Today
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2008, 04:40 AM

I have been using Leopard since March, but I just realized that I've been using it stupidly: I haven't used Spaces until today. And I must say I feel like a fool for waiting so long. I feel instantly more productive. My 19" LCD, which I used to think was huge, started feeling cramped over the last few days. But no more! Anyone else have a similarly delayed revelation?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2008, 04:45 AM

I use virtual desktops on all my Linux boxes (RedHat and Debian) and Suns (KDE on Solaris) at work. I wouldn't do without them.

But somehow on the Mac Spaces never quite caught on yo me. I think it's simply because of Exposé. I hide apps I rarely want to see and use Exposé to navigate between windows of the other apps. I sometimes also use cmd-tab (and even Spotlight!) to switch to another app so I can keep my hands on the KB. I guess I'd use Spaces a lot on the Mac too if there were no Exposé. Fortunately there is.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2008, 06:41 AM

I used to hide apps and make heavy use of Exposé, but I find Spaces really efficient. It makes me feel like I have a second display.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2008, 01:17 PM

When someone asks me why I like the Mac so much, I hit F10 & F11.

Spaces + Esposé = Best possible window management.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

outaru
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2008, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
When someone asks me why I like the Mac so much, I hit F10 & F11.

Spaces + Esposé = Best possible window management.
i have to agree with you...
i tried spaces but i find it more efficient to use a second monitor...

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2008, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by outaru View Post
i have to agree with you...
i tried spaces but i find it more efficient to use a second monitor...
i've been using spaces since 10.5, and really like it; keep about 5 or 6 apps open at all times, switch between them, like the way this works.

NOT that hiding apps was so difficult previously...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2008, 06:53 PM

I've tried virtual desktops in Windows and Linux before...I just find having a dual-display setup to be a lot more efficient than switching between virtual desktops, and UltraMon in Windows makes it even better.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

srfdriver22
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2008, 11:24 PM

Before I got Leopard I didn't think I would use Spaces. I had fiddled with Virtual Desktop in XP in the past but never used it. Once I started using Spaces in Leopard I immediately became more productive. I use each space for a different project or task I'm working on.

Email
App Project
Web Project
Stocks
Photoshop
etc.

It really helps me rejoin where I last left off without having to minimize/maximize/reopen.

Now if I could just save the Space and reopen everything in its previous state as it were, that would be cool.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2008, 02:43 AM

Spaces noob question here: Don't you assign apps to specific spaces? I often use the same app for different projects but of course with different documents opened in different windows. If I'd want to use Spaces for different projects, would that work? Can I assign different instances of the same app to different spaces?

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2008, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by srfdriver22 View Post
Before I got Leopard I didn't think I would use Spaces. I had fiddled with Virtual Desktop in XP in the past but never used it. Once I started using Spaces in Leopard I immediately became more productive. I use each space for a different project or task I'm working on.

It really helps me rejoin where I last left off without having to minimize/maximize/reopen.

Now if I could just save the Space and reopen everything in its previous state as it were, that would be cool.

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Spaces noob question here: Don't you assign apps to specific spaces? I often use the same app for different projects but of course with different documents opened in different windows. If I'd want to use Spaces for different projects, would that work? Can I assign different instances of the same app to different spaces?
1) Yes, you set this in System Preferences. Here's an example:

2) Spaces are assigned by applications, not by application windows. That being said, with Word, Firefox, etc, you can open up a new window/document, move it to another space, and both windows/documents will stay on their respective spaces.
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

JKT
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2008, 03:51 AM

Nope. Can't be done - you can only assign an app to a single space or to all spaces. You can't assign spaces a 'task'. So that e.g. you can't have a browsing and mail space (with your browser and e-mail client) and a research and writing space (with your browser and word processor). The browser can't be shared between spaces unless you do it manually (and that doesn't work very well, either).

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2008, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by B Gallagher View Post
2) Spaces are assigned by applications, not by application windows. That being said, with Word, Firefox, etc, you can open up a new window/document, move it to another space, and both windows/documents will stay on their respective spaces.
Originally Posted by JKT View Post
Nope. Can't be done - you can only assign an app to a single space or to all spaces. You can't assign spaces a 'task'. So that e.g. you can't have a browsing and mail space (with your browser and e-mail client) and a research and writing space (with your browser and word processor). The browser can't be shared between spaces unless you do it manually (and that doesn't work very well, either).
OK, thanks for the clear answers. I guess I'll stick with Exposé then.

Ryknow215
Oct 22, 2008, 06:53 AM

Spaces is good, but Expose is amazing. I find myself going towards the "hot" screen corners at work, only to be disappointed by my work Dell.
21.5" iMac | OS X 10.6.4 | 3.06 GHz | 4GB DDR3
Motorola Droid | 2.2 Froyo
Playing together nicely!

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2008, 07:38 AM

I'm actually using Spaces more than Expose now. Go figure.

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2008, 04:49 PM

No worries. If you try to but a browser window down below, close the window, and open a new on, it'll be back in its originally assigned space. It's much easier to leave apps in their assigned space then try and manually rearrange them every time.
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Forum Links
Forum Rules