Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I think I need to replace my PBTi hard drive

I think I need to replace my PBTi hard drive
dennett
Forum Regular
Mar 4, 2006, 07:47 PM

I took it in to the "Genius" bar and they say the HD is dead. I'm pretty sure I can handle it myself as I've added RAM and an airport card to it myself 4 years ago when we bought it. Before I order a new drive, is there anything I should look for in terms of bad HD connector or anything around the connector on the motherboard that could be bad? Also, where is the best place to order a new HD? Our PB is one of the 2nd gen Ti models, I believe it's a 550mhz model. It came with a 20gb HD, which I'd of course like to upsize to at least 40gb if not 60 or 80 depending on price. I'd really appreciate anyones' advice on this matter! Thanks in advance.

TheBum
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2006, 01:21 AM

Otherworld Computing is a good place to get a hard drive. They even have online installation videos. The videos can be found here:

http://eshop.macsales.com/tech_cente...directory.html

Note that there's one for the Titanium PowerBooks.

dennett  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2006, 03:25 PM

Thanks a bunch! We're thinking we'll replace our 20gb drive with either a 40 or a 60. Looking at the macsales site, it seems the Toshiba and Hitachi drives are the best deals, do you have any recommednations as far as which would be best?

Originally Posted by TheBum
Otherworld Computing is a good place to get a hard drive. They even have online installation videos. The videos can be found here:

http://eshop.macsales.com/tech_cente...directory.html

Note that there's one for the Titanium PowerBooks.

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2006, 05:33 PM

newegg.com and zipzoomfly.com and buy.com are good places to get a new HD. Look for a Hitachi or a Seagate, there've been some bad reports about Toshibas lately. Be sure to get a 5400 rpm model, because you'll see an immediate speed increase in HD access. When I upgraded to a 5400 rpm HD in my Ti-400, the TI didn't feel so old after all.

The other great improvement in an early model Ti, is a PMCIA wireless card (if you can find one cheap enough. When I put a first a Cisco Aironet 350 and later a Buffalo wireless card ($25) in the Ti-400 the difference was night and day from the original internal wireless card.

Forum Links
Forum Rules