Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > What browser for Duo 280c?

What browser for Duo 280c?
Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2001, 05:39 PM

Have a friend with said Duo 280c. Has the latest version of Netscape which will run on that machine, which is getting seriously antiquated.

Can anyone reccomend a browser which will run, and not give constant Java errors? She needs good, basic functionality - web, mail. etc, but can survive without a lot of bells and whistles.

Don
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Richard Pinneau
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2001, 09:45 PM

I've got an old one of those around somewhere... that's the 68K model / nonPPC, right? Netscape has a FAT version or something for 68K?
What's the newest OS your friend has been able to run on that?

(sorry, hope SOMEBODY can respond to your original question)
Pismo 400 192M Sys 9.1

Don Pickett  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2001, 02:48 PM

It's an 040. I think the minimum to run Netscape 4.x is PPC.

Don
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

DocRaven
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2001, 06:50 PM

Try using icab
at http://www.icab.de
there's an english version available too... its 68k and PPC versions... small, fast stable and I juse it most of the time (even on my Duo230)

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2001, 07:35 AM

iCab is a fine product. It is fast. It is small. It is, however, not as stable as some other pieces of slightly unrelated software, such as Eudora. That is stable. iCab is still under development and will someday be a very nice commercial grade product, but remains for the moment beta and some people will find it to be very stable, others will find it to be flakey.

Opera software is developing a browser for the Mac and they will have a 68k version of it. Unfortunatly, they are taking their dear sweet time getting it out to the public and is almost a vaporware produt, except they have a private Alpha in progress and have a few convincing screenshots of it available.

Walter J. Ferstl
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2001, 03:30 PM

I strongly support DocRaven's and jeromep's opinions. Try the 68k version of iCab Pre 2.4, you will certainly not be disappointed. Stability is not a problem with me. The preview versions are time-limited, the most recent one will expire end of April, 2001(keep this in mind, if your friend relies on you for installs and she lives at a distance).

There are 68k versions of Netscape Navigator up to version 4.08, as far as I know (sorry, Don).
Remember, this is just the browser, without the otherwise built-in email functionality. She could use a Light version of Eudora additionally (3.1.3 is a great product, and it is either available 68k only or at least FAT, I think).

I agree with jeromep on Opera for Mac - the piece should get ready at last. I am waiting for it, too.

Walter.

kybernaut
Jan 31, 2001, 06:49 AM

Hi,

I'm running Navigator 4.08 on my 040 (perf 630) which runs very stable an d error-free. For me, iCab has a brilliant concept, but I don't get it running longer than a few minutes...

You can also use Netscape Communicator 4.08 which has a built-in e-mail client (NS Messenger). Look netscape.com ---> archive.

greetingz

k

Forum Links
Forum Rules