Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Upgrading from 4200 to 5400rpm HDD - how?

Upgrading from 4200 to 5400rpm HDD - how?
ICD2k3
Aug 24, 2004, 11:15 AM

Next summer I'm thinkin about upgrading my lovely PB from 512 ram to a gig of ram and going from a 4200rpm HDD to a 5400rpm one. Can I switch the HDDs myself? or will I have to send it into apple? I assume that u can swap hard drives right?

Also which hard drives would u reccomend looking into?

iREZ
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2004, 11:20 AM

You can do the HD upgrade yourself but it will void your Applecare (unless you yourself are a certified Apple tech). You need to take it somewhere for an Apple tech to do if for you (which seems to always costs about half as much as the HD itself for the so called labor). If you don't have Applecare anymore and have decided on doing it yourself, then do a search for service manuals either here, or on google. Good luck.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

ICD2k3  (op)
Aug 24, 2004, 01:12 PM

Thanks, yea I never got the extended applecare so my warranty will be over by then anyways...Thats something I never liked about apple, u pay $2000 + for a computer and u only get a 90 day warranty...oh well.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2004, 01:21 PM

No actually you have a 1year warranty upon purchase and 90day free tech support, after that if you call and ask for help it'll cost ya, thats why we go MacNN.

(offer not valid in states or countries that have laws and regulations which void Applecare by law)
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Tomster
Senior User
Aug 24, 2004, 02:19 PM

Originally posted by ICD2k3:
Next summer I'm thinkin about upgrading my lovely PB from 512 ram to a gig of ram and going from a 4200rpm HDD to a 5400rpm one. Can I switch the HDDs myself? or will I have to send it into apple? I assume that u can swap hard drives right?

Also which hard drives would u reccomend looking into?
Which Powerbook do you have? Huge difference between a Ti and an Alu.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

ICD2k3  (op)
Aug 25, 2004, 12:23 AM

AL / 15" / 1.33 / 512mb / 64vram / backlit keyboard

Tomster
Senior User
Aug 25, 2004, 01:01 AM

One can always replace the drive on a machine. It is just a matter of difficulty and comfort. In my opinion, the new Powerbooks are less accessible than the previous generations. I suggest you download the service manuals and thoroughly read them. If removing the topcase looks like a breeze to you, go for it! If it looks a bit daunting, you might think of using a certified tech.
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

anamexis
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2004, 02:05 AM

The Service Manuals Tomster mentioned can be found here.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2004, 08:19 AM

I think those are manuals for older models. He said he has an AlBook.

anamexis
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2004, 12:46 PM

Oops! Wrong link.
Here's a page that has what you're looking for.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2004, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by Tomster:
One can always replace the drive on a machine. It is just a matter of difficulty and comfort. In my opinion, the new Powerbooks are less accessible than the previous generations. I suggest you download the service manuals and thoroughly read them. If removing the topcase looks like a breeze to you, go for it! If it looks a bit daunting, you might think of using a certified tech.
The original poster has an Aluminum PowerBook. The hard drive in an Al PB is NOT a user installable part, and WILL void the warranty if they do it themselves.

The hard drive IS user installable in the Titanium PowerBooks, and changing it will NOT void the warranty.

Tomster
Senior User
Aug 25, 2004, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by Person Man:
The original poster has an Aluminum PowerBook. The hard drive in an Al PB is NOT a user installable part, and WILL void the warranty if they do it themselves.

The hard drive IS user installable in the Titanium PowerBooks, and changing it will NOT void the warranty.
The question was not whether one would void the warranty but if in fact, one could change the hard drive. Warranty issues discussed in first reply.
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

Person Man
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2004, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by ICD2k3:
Thanks, yea I never got the extended applecare so my warranty will be over by then anyways...Thats something I never liked about apple, u pay $2000 + for a computer and u only get a 90 day warranty...oh well.
Not true. You only get 90 days of full telephone support. The hardware is warranted for a full year after purchase. Think twice about putting the hard drive in your computer yourself if you will be doing it within the first year. Depends on how much you value the one year warranty.

Forum Links
Forum Rules