Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > crazy linux desktop.....

crazy linux desktop.....
scauntay
Aug 30, 2006, 08:32 PM

that damn penguin is crazy.....
check out this desktop manager thing its got goin. dump.com

NSFW, not the video but the banner stuffs.
sorry bout that.
( Last edited by scauntay; Aug 30, 2006 at 11:40 PM. )

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2006, 10:45 PM

Forgot to mention NSFW. Dump.com is not work safe.

"Look Apple, there goes your only selling point."

Uh, yeah. Sure.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2006, 10:59 PM

"Look Apple, there goes your only selling point!" Hehe. I guess being able to use an OS without friggin' hacking the kernel and window server isn't something most Mac users care about.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2006, 11:02 PM

I can see it now, thousands of Mac users and Windows users rushing to install Linux so they can use all those purdy effects.

Just because OS X doesn't do it, doesn't mean it can't do it.
And just because an OS does do it, doesn't mean it has to.

scauntay  (op)
Aug 30, 2006, 11:41 PM

i would try it out if i was feeling adventerous and knew how to use linux.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2006, 12:16 AM

Linux is nice and all but that guy does not get it at all. It's the software. Linux does not have a complete set of standard libraries and one standard UI to build software against. It is too fragmented.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2006, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by scauntay
i would try it out if i was feeling adventerous and knew how to use linux.
When it works right, it's not that hard to get a grip on. It's not very different from Windows and Mac OS.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

scauntay  (op)
Nov 3, 2006, 04:34 AM

just wanted to know if there are any apps that will make the windows pop up all crazy like for macs? kinda tired of the "genie effect" lol

aryayush
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2006, 05:28 AM

Uh, I can't see anything related to Apples or Penguins on that page or the next one. Can you give me a direct link to whatever you want us to see?

scauntay  (op)
Nov 3, 2006, 07:41 AM

HAH i found it, its like this. Ubuntu Dapper Drake with XGL & Compiz - Google Video

more or less just the actions of how the windows move and jiggle

aryayush
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2006, 07:10 AM

Oh, I have seen that. All of those animations are already there on OS X except for the swaying windows and I can't think of a single use for that animation. However, being able to drag your applications around a cube onto another desktop would be cool. Spaces will do it but there won't be a cube.

kick52
Baninated
Nov 6, 2006, 12:56 PM

that looks amazing..

i wonder what the minimum specs are for XGL

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2006, 01:50 PM

Ahhh ... XGL vs OS X ...

Fancy effects for the sake of it vs. researched effects used because of a proven use.

Take your pick.

phoenix78
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2006, 10:26 AM

That was pretty amazing...

i think apple has a long LONG way to go before having anything as good as that...

i mean... osx doesnt even have a consistent user interface let alone that kind of functionality. take a look at finder windows, inspectors for fonts, images etc... you go from brushed metal dark grey to plain light gey to tranparent black... gimme a break lol...

but i guess when it comes down to doing your work linux still wont beat macosx.

but hey.... the leopard preview was only just a small insight into what we wil get in 10.5. Maybe some of these awesome features are in leopard but just havent been revealed yet?

heres hoping osx gets it all together in leopard

rob.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2006, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by phoenix78 View Post

i think apple has a long LONG way to go before having anything as good as that...

i mean... osx doesnt even have a consistent user interface let alone that kind of functionality. take a look at finder windows, inspectors for fonts, images etc... you go from brushed metal dark grey to plain light gey to tranparent black... gimme a break lol...

but hey.... the leopard preview was only just a small insight into what we wil get in 10.5. Maybe some of these awesome features are in leopard but just havent been revealed yet?

rob.
Apple could do all of that now if it was actually useful.

The only thing I found useful was transferring windows to multiple desktops by dragging them over to the next desktop, but I believe there's already a Virtual Desktop app which does this, and Spaces is coming with Leopard.

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 7, 2006, 04:50 PM

Well THAT certainly is a GUI window handling. I suspect the comment that everything can get old after a while. How many developers and production artists do we hear saying, "I have to use Aqua, it's the least distracting and the most useful." Apple didn't just one day decide let's make a bubblegum interface that has no style to it - they spent lotsohours testing and coming up with a unique look and they nailed it. It never breaks in any app or between apps so I don't bashem too hard anymore that is.
- nontheless - I am a theme junkie and the friggin' interface sometimes changes faster than I finish a job... been like that since themes in OS9.

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 8, 2006, 04:06 PM

rob.
you haven;t a clue what your talking about, Linux has the WORST record for consistency and interface design going.
Even windows with its crappy multiple types of menu bars beats linux.

These effects are trash and show that they are made by programmers not user interface experts because they add nothing or even take away from usability, its just glitz for the sake of it.

Its easier to throw things in than to know where to draw the line, thats the genius of Apple

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2006, 10:33 PM

i mean... osx doesnt even have a consistent user interface let alone that kind of functionality.
Functionality? You're joking...right? That's just eye candy. My roommate installed Compiz quite a while back. Window translucency and jiggling are neato, but completely useless. Multiple desktops with the dynamically rotating cube are slightly more useful...he mapped the rotation to his scroll wheel so he can sit in between two desktops. Again, neato, but useless.

scauntay  (op)
Nov 11, 2006, 08:49 AM

there is no real functionality in this, it just makes working on the computer a bit more fun. thats all this was about, i just wanted to make my computer a little more fun with something new.

Syzygy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2006, 10:25 PM

I just wish these videos would show these features under some sort of CPU load. Sure it would be fun to have windows that look like they're made of jello, but if I try to move a window while I have something rendering, or a GPU intense game minimized and it takes a couple seconds just for the computer to calculate the physics I'll pass. And yeah it looks cool, but not if they need a top of the line video card just to render that.

kaplunkett
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2006, 10:55 PM

ah but the point isn't necessarily to have realistic goals. That kinda stuff has been available to apple and microsoft programmers for years but since x11 is open source it gives anyone the opportunity to try out the cutting edge and tweak it and push the limits. I mean, we've all at one point or another thought about what our ideal gui could do, but open source is your chance to try and make it happen. Besides, with the new core duos and the quad core g5s that stuff would run like butter.

on a side note, has anyone experimented with xgl and darwin? We've got a good foundation in darwin, but it seems like people aren't taking advantage of what could be the dominant open source ppc platform.

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2006, 05:50 PM

kaplunkett, no point trying it in darwin, osx can do all those effects already if we lacked the taste to know better.

scauntay  (op)
Nov 23, 2006, 07:49 AM

haha i think its funny, i know i cant read the tone of how you all are typing. but it seems to be a tad bit of anger in here. haha. anyway all i want to know is if there is something out there like this for mac osx, non intel. not if it is usefull or how its a waste of time to have something like this because it will bog the system down. i dont really care about all that. its just something that i found to make working on the computer for long hours more fun.

mugget
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 24, 2006, 06:47 PM

uh, where's this video on dump.com? i couldn't see it... would help if the link didn't just go to the front page...

scauntay  (op)
Nov 26, 2006, 03:05 AM

it was there but it was a while ago. i did put another link up above though, just so you dont have to look for it here it is again, Ubuntu Dapper Drake with XGL & Compiz - Google Video

Forum Links
Forum Rules