Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Leopard Safari: Missing Automatic “.com”

Leopard Safari: Missing Automatic “.com”
MacOS
Nov 3, 2007, 04:03 PM

What happened to the automatic .com? Before I could just type "apple" and it would resolve to "apple.com". I have to put .com on on my domains now. This is so Windows. I look in preferences but did see anything that would help. Suggestions?

TIA!

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 3, 2007, 04:08 PM

You cleared your Safari's auto complete cache when installing Leopard. You have to build it up again.
Try typing it out completely once.

MacOS  (op)
Nov 3, 2007, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
You cleared your Safari's auto complete cache when installing Leopard. You have to build it up again.
Try typing it out completely once.
You're close. As long as I can rememeber since System 6 or 7 you can type a domain name without the .com root and it would resolve even without the domain being cached. This worked only on .com and not on any other root (.edu, .gov, . . .).

This may be a sign that Apple is planning to merge Safari & Finder just like what Microsoft did with Internet Explorer & Explorer. I hope Netscape doesn't decide to sue again.
( Last edited by MacOS; Nov 3, 2007 at 05:38 PM. )

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2007, 05:07 PM

I can type any website, even ones I haven't been to before, and it still puts the www. and .com on.

MacOS  (op)
Nov 3, 2007, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by JustinHorne View Post
I can type any website, even ones I haven't been to before, and it still puts the www. and .com on.
If you are using 10.5 Safari, then mine is broken.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2007, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by MacOS View Post
I type "google" into the address bar and it goes straight to "www.google.com", yours must be broken then.
Signature depreciated.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2007, 06:07 PM

Still works fine in Leopard's Safari 3. Including websites never visited before. Some ISPs ruin the feature by sending some stupid page for unfound domains though. That might be your problem.

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2007, 06:13 PM

Yes, I am.

nerd
Senior User
Nov 3, 2007, 11:02 PM

I just tried it with a domain I know I haven't called up before and it works for me as well. I did see a quick flash of OpenDNS's page but in less then a second Safari put the .com in.

gradient
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2007, 03:20 AM

it works fine for me as well.

ph0ust
Senior User
Nov 4, 2007, 04:33 PM

actually, mine still works..... most of the time. i would say about 20%+ of the time it does not add the '.com' and simply returns a 404. so i am seeing both in safari 3, unlike safari 2 where it always worked.

Longshanks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2007, 09:45 PM

I have the same problem with both Safari and Firefox on 10.5. A page from my internet provider, Verizon, will come up with links every time I type a name without the www. whether I've typed the complete URL before or not. If auto-complete is available and allowed then it will go directly to the desired website.

This is annoying behavior, like Internet Explorer on Windows, and new with the Leopard version of Safari 3. Interestingly Firefox on Windows does not do this.

If there is a workaround I'd love to use it.

ph0ust
Senior User
Nov 5, 2007, 02:50 PM

i should point out that when it does not complete (i.e. add the .com) it is not restricted to new/non-cached sites. i've gone to sites like Apple and just typed "apple" then return. after i first upgraded to leopard it worked, then later in the day i went back to apple.com expecting safari to auto-complete the url and not only did it not, but when i typed "apple" and hit return i got a 404.

my point is that in my case it is really random and sporadic, seemingly not having any rhyme or reason.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2007, 03:06 PM

You're close. As long as I can rememeber since System 6 or 7 you can type a domain name without the .com root and it would resolve even without the domain being cached. This worked only on .com and not on any other root (.edu, .gov, . . .).

This may be a sign that Apple is planning to merge Safari & Finder just like what Microsoft did with Internet Explorer & Explorer. I hope Netscape doesn't decide to sue again.
I think you're confusing browser auto-complete with DNS auto-resolve.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2007, 03:53 PM

Works fine for me. Maybe your ISP is being "helpful" and handing back its own page? I know Earthlink does that.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

64stang06
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2007, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Works fine for me. Maybe your ISP is being "helpful" and handing back its own page? I know Earthlink does that.
What's funny is I'm having the same problem with 10.5, but with 10.4, my ISP never hijacked the page and did the searching for me. Now, it seems that Safari doesn't have the chance to add ".com" before the "helpful" search page shows up.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2007, 07:02 PM

Is it possible you had a custom DNS server set before and that setting got lost when you upgraded? I've had something similar happen before.
Chuck
___

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2007, 07:04 PM

Try switching your DNS to OpenDNS. If that fixes it then it's your ISP. If not, there's some DNS file that needs to be cleared - do a search, I had that problem a while ago.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2007, 07:07 PM

64stang06
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2007, 10:26 PM

Thanks. That did the trick.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2007, 12:08 AM

Definitely override your ISP DNS settings with OpenDNS. Chances are response is faster and you benefit from phishing protection and all that good stuff.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

MacOS  (op)
Nov 6, 2007, 10:31 PM

Isn't this function of the web browser? On WinXP, I.E. and Firefox work differently. IE requires the root (.com) and Firefox doesn't. I had always thought this to be a Windose thing but I test on my office PC.

Anyway, when it doesn't work I get the "page not found" message.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2007, 11:00 PM

Why are you guys recommending the OP use OpenDNS? That will do the opposite of what he wants, because OpenDNS uses some lame-assed search feature that kicks in when you type a domain without the '.com' extension. Oh sure, you can turn that off in the control panel. And that actually worked for me... eventually, after I rebooted both my router and my Mac a few times. So that would be a pretty good solution... as long as you're on a static IP. Which you probably aren't, so as soon as your IP changes, you're back to the lame-assed search engine, since OpenDNS uses your IP to determine who you are. Oh sure, you can turn on the "Enable Dynamic IP Update" feature and run the AppleScript app in the background to keep your IP address updated with OpenDNS, and that would be a pretty good solution... as long as you aren't behind a router. Which you probably are, so as soon as your router's IP changes, the AppleScript won't figure it out, OpenDNS will still have your outdated IP address, and you're back to the lame-assed search engine.

OpenDNS seems to be definitely not the solution to the OP's problem.

edit: even when I invoke that OpenDNS Updater AppleScript thing manually, and it successfully updates it so that OpenDNS's control panel now shows my current IP address, I still get that search feature! What the hey?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2007, 11:20 PM

Isn't this function of the web browser? On WinXP, I.E. and Firefox work differently. IE requires the root (.com) and Firefox doesn't. I had always thought this to be a Windose thing but I test on my office PC.

Anyway, when it doesn't work I get the "page not found" message.
Either the browser or an intermediate DNS server can intercept the page not found message and replace it with something else.
Chuck
___

Forum Links
Forum Rules