Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > g3 powerbook keyboard as usb keyboard

g3 powerbook keyboard as usb keyboard
scauntay
Jul 4, 2008, 03:57 AM

i have an old g3 powerbook keyboard. the powerbook died and i took it apart and tossed most of it. and was just wondering if there is anyway to convert the ribbon cable to a usb port so i can use it as a secondary keyboard for my g4 powerbook. not that im cheap to buy a keyboard, just am curious if it would work.

much thanks
S

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 4, 2008, 03:08 PM

Google turned this up , which looks interesting. GRYNX � Converted laptop keyboard

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2008, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
Google turned this up , which looks interesting. GRYNX � Converted laptop keyboard
His solder-fu is very strong!

scauntay  (op)
Jul 7, 2008, 08:14 AM

thanks, i tried to google it. never thought of typing converted laptop keyboard. the thing is, all i have is the keyboard. haha. ill figure something out, thanks a bunch

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 8, 2008, 04:12 PM

The keyboard on the G3 is ADB, Not USB like the modern ones. You need to convert it to run on ADB, then get a USB to ADB adaptor. Not too common these days.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules