Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPad 2?

iPad 2?
bigt0169
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2010, 09:30 PM

Anyone know when I should be looking for the second iPad to come out and what features are rumored to be on there?

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2010, 09:46 PM

I would guess April 2011.
-Better display (probably "retina")
-possibly front facing camera
-more storage
-not much different aesthetics
-iOS 5

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2010, 10:10 PM

Not iOS 5, it'll be announced early in the year before iOS 5 ships in the summer.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 29, 2010, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
-Better display (probably "retina")
Hmmm...

I'm going to predict this won't happen until iPad 3.

To expensive, and too big a drain on the battery. It'd be cool though.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2010, 03:23 AM

Nobody knows what the upgrade cycle will be like.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2010, 04:04 AM

Aside from FaceTime there's not a huge reason for Apple to upgrade it. It's still head and shoulders above the competition, and I'm not entirely sure Apple wants to put FaceTime in there... I personally hope they do, but aside from a faster processor or more storage what is there to add?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2010, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Nobody knows what the upgrade cycle will be like.
I don't think it's way out there to predict it'll have the same one year refresh cycle of the other iDevices.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2010, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Aside from FaceTime there's not a huge reason for Apple to upgrade it. It's still head and shoulders above the competition, and I'm not entirely sure Apple wants to put FaceTime in there... I personally hope they do, but aside from a faster processor or more storage what is there to add?
I think it was at the All Things Digital conference where in the Jobs interview he said or implied something along the lines of how the iPad was going to eventually become the new normal for computing. If that is really Apple's goal, for a first generation product they will have a lot of work to do to accomplish this goal.

Let me ask you since you've probably used an iPad (I haven't): what would be needed for people to want to replace their laptops with iPads?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2010, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I don't think it's way out there to predict it'll have the same one year refresh cycle of the other iDevices.
No, it's not.

It's not any more "out there" to predict that it'll have the 8-10 month refresh cycle of the other computers, though.

Or even a 6-month jump for the first revision, seeing as the software side of FaceTime is now done, and they can safely add a camera to iPad.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2010, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I think it was at the All Things Digital conference where in the Jobs interview he said or implied something along the lines of how the iPad was going to eventually become the new normal for computing. If that is really Apple's goal, for a first generation product they will have a lot of work to do to accomplish this goal.

Let me ask you since you've probably used an iPad (I haven't): what would be needed for people to want to replace their laptops with iPads?
At this time, for home computing? Exactly four things:

1. Camera for video chat.

2. Independence from computer for
2a. set-up
2b. printing
2c. back-up

That's pretty much it.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 30, 2010, 05:31 AM

A
2a. set-up
2c. back-up

That's pretty much it.
How do you see this working? Set-up is pretty simple, but without a usb or firewire port...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2010, 05:45 AM

Back-up:

The Camera Connection Kit already supports standard USB-compliant USB sticks (and audio interfaces btw)…

And of course, the obvious: Time Capsule.

Set-up involves being able to update the software as well, which is probably fairly complicated.

I don't think we'll see a fully independent iPad platform until maybe next summer, probably the year after. But there is no doubt that Apple is working like crazy at this goal.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2010, 10:32 AM

No, it's not.

It's not any more "out there" to predict that it'll have the 8-10 month refresh cycle of the other computers, though.

Or even a 6-month jump for the first revision, seeing as the software side of FaceTime is now done, and they can safely add a camera to iPad.
Completely agreed. I was going to end my post by saying that with the way Apple is pushing FaceTime, it's hard to see them even wait a year for it. For some reason I thought you were implying it was in the other direction.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2010, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
How do you see this working? Set-up is pretty simple, but without a usb or firewire port...
Wifi...

You can print with wifi.
You can set-up from the internet with wifi or even 3G - with an internal wizard for wifi setup.
You can backup with wifi.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 30, 2010, 01:58 PM

Completely agreed. I was going to end my post by saying that with the way Apple is pushing FaceTime, it's hard to see them even wait a year for it. For some reason I thought you were implying it was in the other direction.
Apple is pushing FaceTime? You can't even do it a Mac yet and they've had integrated web cams for YEARS.

If you're right, though, I suppose ideal time for that update would be along side the new iPod Touches in September. Might as well throw in iOS4 for the iPad then too.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2010, 02:09 PM

At this time, for home computing? Exactly four things:

1. Camera for video chat.

2a. set-up
2b. printing
2c. back-up

That's pretty much it.

I guess it depends on what that home user does with his/her laptop, I realize that several of these things in this list are outside of the realm of what most home users get into, but what about:

- software compatibility/availability
- USB peripheral support
- iTunes independence and/or some way to sync with other devices in the reverse direction (maybe this already exists, I don't know)
- External display support
- Boot camp/virtualization
- Remote access/file sharing via SSH/AFP
- Samba/Windows connectivity
- independent OS updates/installs without piggybacking off another computer
- DVD/optical media support (I'm assuming this would have to be done externally via USB)

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2010, 02:16 PM

Have there been ergonomic studies which show the affect of a lot of computing on an iPad? How about speed tests to gauge input accuracy vs. a keyboard? I'm assuming that Apple's vision of the future is keyboard-less?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2010, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Apple is pushing FaceTime? You can't even do it a Mac yet and they've had integrated web cams for YEARS.

If you're right, though, I suppose ideal time for that update would be along side the new iPod Touches in September. Might as well throw in iOS4 for the iPad then too.
To me, They seem to be giving it a disproportionate amount of advertising versus it's value as a reason to buy the phone. I don't know if they're still doing it, but they had a FaceTime number you can call to talk to an Apple FaceTime shill. That's verging on parody. It's like The Onion's "Apple Friend Bar" segment.

OTOH, you're absolutely right about the lack of what should be obvious integration. I've been told that for a long time the iChat dev team has been basically one person. They obviously won't maintain that stance if the master plan is to go balls to the wall with FaceTime.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 30, 2010, 02:24 PM

To me, They seem to be giving it a disproportionate amount of advertising versus it's value as a reason to buy the phone. I don't know if they're still doing it, but they had a FaceTime number you can call to talk to an Apple FaceTime shill. That's verging on parody. It's like The Onion's "Apple Friend Bar" segment.

OTOH, you're absolutely right about the lack of what should be obvious integration. I've been told that for a long time the iChat dev team has been basically one person. They obviously won't maintain that stance if the master plan is to go balls to the wall with FaceTime.
Yeah, I was thinking on what you said and it is the big feature they're pushing on their commercials, but I think that's because it's the biggest difference between it and previous iPhones. Multi-tasking, Folders, and new signal killing design don't make as exciting fodder for the commercials.

So, maybe you're right or maybe its the only new feature they can really market strongly.

Edit: And there' s always the case that desktop integration is lacking because Apple has lost focus of the desktop side of things. Why does such a simple no brainer (since FaceTime is wifi only) so glaringly absent. It's not like Apple lacks the resources.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2010, 02:38 PM

Multi-tasking, Folders, and new signal killing design don't make as exciting fodder for the commercials.
I'd hit it.

Seriously though. You are absolutely right. Not to mention that and folders aren't even unique to the phone like the camera is.

Edit: And there' s always the case that desktop integration is lacking because Apple has lost focus of the desktop side of things. Why does such a simple no brainer (since FaceTime is wifi only) so glaringly absent. It's not like Apple lacks the resources.
They do seem content at the moment to let most of their software languish.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2010, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
The iPad badly needs supported phone access; and FaceTime/video conferencing is a HUGE KILLER APP so obvious for the iPad that Apple absolutely MUST go after video conferencing market share on the iPAd ASAP. No way Apple will hold a one year upgrade cycle. Component supplies permitting, I expect a two-camera iPad between now and January, perhaps as a separate model.

-Allen
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Jul 30, 2010 at 03:08 PM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2010, 02:53 PM

Pff, until the iPad makes espresso, vacuums and does my laundry, it's really not fit for home use.

Try harder, Apple.

-t

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2010, 06:07 PM

Overclocked A4 (1.3Ghz for "30% faster"?)
Front facing low-res camera

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2010, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
The iPad badly needs supported phone access; and FaceTime/video conferencing is a HUGE KILLER APP so obvious for the iPad that Apple absolutely MUST go after video conferencing market share on the iPAd ASAP. No way Apple will hold a one year upgrade cycle. Component supplies permitting, I expect a two-camera iPad between now and January, perhaps as a separate model.

-Allen
When iOS 4 comes out, it'll be painfully obvious that the iPad needs at least one hardware upgrade: More RAM.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2010, 06:49 PM

Have there been ergonomic studies which show the affect of a lot of computing on an iPad? How about speed tests to gauge input accuracy vs. a keyboard? I'm assuming that Apple's vision of the future is keyboard-less?
Which part of the phrase "home computing" is eluding you?

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2010, 07:03 PM

What?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2010, 07:24 PM

Which part of the phrase "home computing" is eluding you?

My being out of touch with what most people use their home computers for, I guess?

There is the whole entertainment/Facebook/web browsing/email crowd, but what about gamers? People that want to type up documents? People that may want to work from home?

I would be willing to bet that the home computing crowd is diverse enough that simply putting them all in the same category might lead to some problems. Agreed?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2010, 09:31 PM

Apple needs to simplify the line. 6 models isn't very Apple-like.

Honestly for me most of the needed changes are software based. I want all of the iOS4 stuff... I want a better tabbed browsing experience (with no reloading of every page, EVERY time... ugh), printing, some sort of universal file access system, I would like to have multiple user accounts and a way to lock down the device and put it in "KID MODE" so I can hand it to my son and not worry about him deleting apps or opening settings or anything.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Andrew88088
Jul 30, 2010, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I want a better tabbed browsing experience (with no reloading of every page, EVERY time... ugh),
This drives me nuts to no end.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2010, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew88088 View Post
Same here. Never understood the reason for that.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2010, 12:06 AM

but what about gamers? People that want to type up documents? People that may want to work from home?
?
Repeat after me: The iPad, in its current incarnation, is not a laptop replacement. The iPad, in its current incarnation, is not a laptop replacement. The iPad, in its current incarnation, is not a laptop replacement. The iPad, in its current incarnation, is not a laptop replacement. The iPad, in its current incarnation, is not a laptop replacement.

It's the first step towards gesture based computing, but for the moment it is more of a consumption than a creation tool.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2010, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Andrew88088 View Post
So use a different browser. Atomic doesn't reload and has tabs. I use it as my main browser whenever possible.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2010, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
Repeat after me: The iPad, in its current incarnation, is not a laptop replacement. The iPad, in its current incarnation, is not a laptop replacement. The iPad, in its current incarnation, is not a laptop replacement. The iPad, in its current incarnation, is not a laptop replacement. The iPad, in its current incarnation, is not a laptop replacement.

It's the first step towards gesture based computing, but for the moment it is more of a consumption than a creation tool.
For me, the iPad, in it's current incarnation, *is* a laptop replacement ... for my *mobile* needs.

I rarely use my laptop to create content *when I'm mobile*. Content creation time is usually at my desk. My iPad means that when I go to upgrade my laptop, I'll be getting a desktop instead.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2010, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post

I don't disagree. If you were following the conversation, this was about what it would take for the iPad to me more, since it seems apparent that Apple desires it to be so. We agree on what it is in its current incarnation. Perhaps you are conflating what I wrote with people that are complaining about what it is currently?

Forum Links
Forum Rules