Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > MacPro 12 Core (Mid 2010) versus macOS High Sierra...? :)

MacPro 12 Core (Mid 2010) versus macOS High Sierra...? :)
Anto39x
Oct 3, 2017, 08:05 AM

To all those Mac Experts out there.... I'm desperately looking for your help and advice.

I am currently running Sierra on my MacPro 12 Core (Mid 2010). On paper, it's compatible with the new High Sierra update but I'm nervous about the upgrade in relation to one thing... AFPS.

I have a 520GB SSH drive plus QTY 3 x 3TB internal hard drives, all with HFS+. I also have a Drobo S (2nd Gen) using Firewire and that has QTY 5 x 3TB hard drives all HFS+ also... will they be all safe from AFPS conversion and if so... will I still be able to move files from system to system.

I also use an old MacPro Dual Core running 10.7.5 with QTY 4 x 2TB Hard drives all HFS+ also.

I also have a MacBook Pro Touch bat (2017), so I know that will be fine.... as it's all modern tech.... but that's not my main workflow machine... my MacPro 12 Core is what drives my whole business.

Bottom line... will I still be able to copy and move files between the new AFPS and HFS+ systems without any issues... copy errors or file format issues..?

Any help or advice would be most welcome.

P
Oct 3, 2017, 08:35 AM

SSDs will be converted automatically upon install. Old-fashioned HDDs can be converted, but this does not happen automatically. You can copy freely between HFS+ and APFS on any machine that runs High Sierra, but not on an older machine, as APFS cannot be read on anything before High Sierra.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Anto39x  (op)
Oct 3, 2017, 09:03 AM

I just accessed a 5GB MKV file that I had on the desktop of my MacPro Dual Core running 10.7.5 using my new MacBook Pro 2017, now running macOS High Sierra and copied it over onto my laptop desktop and open the file and all played fine.

Can you explain a little more about what you meant by "You can copy freely between HFS+ and APFS on any machine that runs High Sierra, but not on an older machine, as APFS cannot be read on anything before High Sierra." ?

I just wanna be sure I understand it correctly before I upgrade my MacPro 12 Core main work computer.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2017, 11:05 AM

I’m no expert. I’m going to wait until Apple issues the HS update to support Fusion and HDD drives upon installation. I plan on getting an external drive to backup and dump my hi8 videos (over 2TB) to free up space on my iMac.
45/47

P
Oct 3, 2017, 12:24 PM

HDD drives are supported by APFS if you update them manually in Disk Utiltiy. Fusion Drives are the only ones that are not supported at all.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

P
Oct 3, 2017, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Anto39x View Post
I just accessed a 5GB MKV file that I had on the desktop of my MacPro Dual Core running 10.7.5 using my new MacBook Pro 2017, now running macOS High Sierra and copied it over onto my laptop desktop and open the file and all played fine.

Can you explain a little more about what you meant by "You can copy freely between HFS+ and APFS on any machine that runs High Sierra, but not on an older machine, as APFS cannot be read on anything before High Sierra." ?

I just wanna be sure I understand it correctly before I upgrade my MacPro 12 Core main work computer.
Sierra (and previous OSes) do not understand what APFS is, and cannot mount Drives using it. You can still access those drives if they are shared from a Mac that runs High Sierra.

Forum Links
Forum Rules