Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple Without Steve Jobs

Apple Without Steve Jobs
freudling
Banned
Feb 27, 2011, 11:35 PM

Here's an 'official' thread on Apple without Steve Jobs. I think it'll be good to post little bits here and there as stuff rolls in.

Right now, Jobs is another medical leave, his return uncertain. He could return. However, there's been some interesting developments it would be worth following... and posting new ones here.

Recently, Apple's board voted down the motion to make clear a succession plan citing that competitors could headhunt shortlisted candidates.

Tim Cook is handily running things at the moment.

Just saw an interesting RUMOR, RUMOR...

Ive may want to leave Apple and go back to England. Yes, again, it's a rumour, but this is part of what makes me think... that Apple will go downhill after Jobs is gone. It won't happen overnight, but it will happen. It'll start with key people leaving the company, like Ive, and things will just unravel from there. A lack of vision from the top will also be an issue.

This is just my opinion based on my analysis of things.

Thanks.

http://www.electronista.com/articles...ut.in.uk.move/

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2011, 11:41 PM

It could go either way, IMO.

Steve could leave, but he team stay together and continue to be successful.
Of course, the unravelling scenario could also happen. I don't think it's decided or written in stone.

Steve could (for instance) decide to step down as CEO, but remain Chairman of the Board.

-t

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2011, 11:51 PM

We didn't discuss this enough in the other thread?

Madison
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 28, 2011, 05:50 AM

Is there a reason Ive can't work from England? Between the net and overnight express, what's the problem??

OreoCookie
Feb 28, 2011, 06:33 AM

I assume it has to do with two things: Apple's paranoid need for secrecy and Ive living and working in the US allows for a closer cooperation. If he's away, he gets out of the loop more easily.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2011, 08:13 AM

As good as he is, Ive isn't the only designer on the planet. As good as he is (at least in vision), Jobs isn't the only CEO on the planet either.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2011, 08:35 AM

Dunno if "Designed by Apple in Cornwall" has the same ring to it.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2011, 09:23 AM

[edit]
oops, already covered
[/edit]

Paco500
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2011, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Madison View Post
Is there a reason Ive can't work from England? Between the net and overnight express, what's the problem??
I think for most jobs you are right- however industrial design- especially with gadgets, I would think is too tactile and interactive to be effective long distance.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2011, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
As good as he is, Ive isn't the only designer on the planet. As good as he is (at least in vision), Jobs isn't the only CEO on the planet either.
Very true. There are many people who could do at least as good a job as Ive and Jobs. The problem is that Apple has pinned much of their success on these two guys, without sharing the glory among the regular work-a-day people who are also instrumental in the success. Everybody, Apple fan or not, knows who Steve Jobs is. A lot of people know who Jonathan Ive is. Barely anybody knows who Tim Cook is. The only regular Apple employee anybody knows anything about is the guy who lost his super-secret iPhone4 in a bar.

Apple should have started spreading the glory around years ago.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2011, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
I think for most jobs you are right- however industrial design- especially with gadgets, I would think is too tactile and interactive to be effective long distance.
The problem here is one of leadership. Ive is leading the team that does the industrial design. Industrial design or not, it's very difficult to work with a VP who is never around.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Feb 28, 2011, 03:38 PM

You guys know where I stand. No, i don't really want to get into any arguments over this. My position is that with Jobs gone, Apple is going to unravel. There won't be the vision anymore. I'm not trying to crash the stock or be alarmist, it's just a certainty in my opinion. And if I'm the only one in the world he believes this, then fine. Again, resting an entire company on just a few is problematic when they leave. Ive and Jobs, for instance, are best friends. With Jobs gone, it's not hard to see why Ive would think of leaving. He's had a long tenure there. And I'm sure burned the candle at both ends with Jobs. There's so many people out there who think they know what they're doing. Sit around in their basements and call the shots after everything is said and done. Basement armchair critics, from Endgadget to others. But there's few people in the world who are capable of innovating and taking chances in the market... leading thousands of people and responsible for billions of dollars.

With Jobs gone, others will follow. I don't have faith in anyone else but Jobs. Sorry, I just don't. And I could be wrong. And I hope I am. Tim Cook... he worries me. John Sculley type. Nicer. But stiff. I just saw what he said in the media. 'iPhone mother of all halos'. I just get the impression that he marvels at the creations of Apple more than he has a vision for the future. That's a big problem. I don't think the guy is creative enough... I don't think he has a deep enough connection with society... etc. to make Apple successful. Yes, Cook, we know iPhone is great. It's your job to ensure it gets greater, not rest on your laurels.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2011, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Dunno if "Designed by Apple in Cornwall" has the same ring to it.
Design by Apple in Jersey.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2011, 06:31 PM

Designed by Apple in California doesn't have a ring to it if you've ever been to California.

Sealobo
Mar 1, 2011, 12:31 PM

Microsoft has been doing shit for years but they're still around.

maybe AAPL has gotten pass that critical point where they've become Too Big to Fail™

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2011, 12:53 PM

The "too big to fail" argument is a fallacy. Companies like Nokia and RIM eclipse Apple in many ways, but look at how they are going.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011, 01:00 PM

Companies like RIM and Nokia aren't swinging $50bn~ in cash reserves.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Sealobo
Mar 1, 2011, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
The "too big to fail" argument is a fallacy. Companies like Nokia and RIM eclipse Apple in many ways, but look at how they are going.
i don't think Nokia or RIM, combined even, has ever had the same dominance of Apple today. So i guess they weren't big enough.

what i am saying is, when a company is so big to the point where it is de facto the industry, it simply can't fail until the industry has become obsolete.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2011, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sealobo View Post
i don't think Nokia or RIM, combined even, has ever had the same dominance of Apple today. So i guess they weren't big enough.

what i am saying is, when a company is so big to the point where it is de facto the industry, it simply can't fail until the industry has become obsolete.
Nokia and RIM used to be de facto in their respective industries, Apple isn't yet in any industry.

Sealobo
Mar 1, 2011, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Nokia and RIM used to be de facto in their respective industries, Apple isn't yet in any industry.
Nokia's highest market share EVER was like 35%?

What's the market share of iPod in portable music device?

what's the market share of iPad in tablet device?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2011, 03:40 PM

35% was a majority market share.

I forgot about the iPod and iPad.

Forum Links
Forum Rules