Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > First Childhood Girlfriend Committed Suicide

First Childhood Girlfriend Committed Suicide
freudling
Banned
Mar 1, 2011, 01:00 AM

Just found out. She used to ride her horse over to my house on the weekends. She hung herself, left 3 children behind. She was 33. Hard to accept it.

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2011, 01:16 AM

Take it from me, the lounge is the last place you're likely to find comfort.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2011, 01:20 AM

Sorry for your loss, if it's really "your" loss at this point.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 1, 2011, 08:02 AM

Whether it's a "loss" or more of a shock, it's quite unsettling. Learning that your friends and acquaintances are both flawed and mortal hurts pretty badly, and the closer they are, the more it hurts. Talking about it is a good idea. But, as Salty pointed out, you're likely to get more snarky comments than real understanding here. The lounge doesn't exactly encourage people to be completely adult.

I'm sorry you have to face this situation.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

andi*pandi
Mar 1, 2011, 09:24 AM

Those poor kids. So young.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011, 09:26 AM

Maybe we should all posts some actual thoughts here more often then, in an effort to elevate the standards of the place.

I've not yet had anybody I know commit suicide. Which is odd considering that my own cynical attitude and the ease with which I'm discouraged from things has me gravitating toward people who seem to dwell in the darker levels of the happiness spectrum.

My mother in particular has always been a yo-yo of emotions, with some of my more vibrant memories of her from childhood involving her sharing thoughts of suicide.

So, yeah, having not had to deal with it yet myself first hand, I have nothing really to share other than to say that the mind is a fickle thing, more so for some people, and it can have more control over a person's well-being than anything tangible. So let's all try to keep a pulse on the mindset of our friends and family, and not be so apprehensive to share in somebody else's problems by offering ourselves to lean on.

Because I think suicide comes more from a sense of entrapment and loneliness which feel unbreakable. When in reality a few actions from friends volunteering themselves as buffers can do a lot to prevent something extreme from taking hold.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2011, 11:42 AM

Suicide is almost always shocking, and is probably the hardest kind of death to mourn. Terrible stuff.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Mar 1, 2011, 02:42 PM

Thanks for the kind words. Although we have all lost touch, this seems to be bringing a lot of people together. Facebook... there's a memorial on there for her hundreds of posts now in 24 hours. It is shocking. I could accept it more if she had no kids, and there were more clear signs. From what I hear, nobody expected it.

I have talked about it with my girlfriend. She then spilled the beans about a former coworker. They're photographers. She worked with him at his studio in downtown Vancouver. One evening, before a big shoot, he just decided to take off his belt and hang himself in the studio. Ambulance came to take him away and nobody could believe it. That feels the same as this. It's just shocking.

finboy
Mar 1, 2011, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
Thanks for the kind words. Although we have all lost touch, this seems to be bringing a lot of people together. Facebook... there's a memorial on there for her hundreds of posts now in 24 hours..
Wow. Sad to hear.

Facebook is good for keeping up with folks, but it's really tough to keep more of a connection sometimes. Especially once people move away and get married, kids, etc. Shows how much we need to reach out when we can, however we can, to the people that we have connections to right now.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Mar 1, 2011, 02:53 PM

I might add. Prettiest girl in school. By a long shot. Everybody liked her. Long, blonde hair, crimped in the 80s in grade-school. All the hip clothes.

Now, all a faded memory.

bstone
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2011, 03:58 PM

A buddy of mine did the same about 5 years ago. He had bipolar disorder and just couldn't live with it any longer. The meds made his life dull and the disease made him insane. He hung himself from a tree and that was it.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2011, 10:48 PM

Sorry to hear about your loss.

And Salty/Glenn, I think most of the members here have been very supportive when other members have faced losses like this one. This thread has remained on topic (until now) and been supportive.
( Last edited by SSharon; Mar 1, 2011 at 10:55 PM. )
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

iM@k
Senior User
Mar 1, 2011, 11:14 PM

From losing my Brother just a few weeks ago, I feel your pain Freudling.
What, me worry?

freudling  (op)
Banned
Mar 2, 2011, 12:34 AM

Thanks again everyone.

If anyone is thinking of doing this themselves, I hope you don't: it's pretty selfish, although I won't serve as judge and jury.

All the best.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 2, 2011, 07:35 AM

I'm glad to see we've all been supportive, especially considering my earlier reservations about how we'd do in that area.

A childhood friend of my wife, who she'd stayed close with and whom I'd become friends with, committed suicide; it was harder to support my wife in this than to deal with my own feelings. Not every suicide is selfish-our friend was told by an idiot general practitioner (erroneously) that she could have been a danger to her children. But in most cases it is certainly more selfish than anything else.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2011, 08:57 AM

It is "hanged" not "hung"

And it was posted late in the night, give it time Porter. People will catch up
( Last edited by Captain Obvious; Mar 2, 2011 at 09:04 AM. )

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

andi*pandi
Mar 2, 2011, 11:01 AM

You may want to look into Solly And Sammy's Foundation For Peace. It's a foundation against violence, suicide. Their story is sad, even more so because the suicidal person took the children with him.

Did she have a husband?

Madison
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2011, 05:55 AM

My condolences. Although my sister didn't commit suicide, she died from poisoning herself with drugs and alcohol for 25+ years. The loss is just as real, although certainly less of a shock.

I feel for the kids especially, and hope they will be able to get past this someday.

PhilCat
Mar 3, 2011, 06:56 AM

The one that hit the hardest for me was the shooting at Doc Holliday's killing my best friend at her birthday party with family & friends upstairs.

I missed the event being out of town. But the story is quite famous west of Burnsville Mn that resulted in tearing the building down.
A retard drunk down stairs was throw out of the bar earlier, then came back with deer rifle, stood
outside firing rounds through the bar.

She was hit in the leg, then bent down to see, then hit through the neck.
Happened summer of 76, as if yesterday. Hope I never bump into him.

Sorry for your loss and theirs as well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules