Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 9.0.4 partition crash can't be repaired by DiskFirst Aid- help!

OS 9.0.4 partition crash can't be repaired by DiskFirst Aid- help!
ValVashon
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2002, 08:08 PM

So, I was printing off of a website, and I got a freeze. After paperclip restarting, I got the blinking question mark. I started off of my Norton disk, and ran Disk Doctor on the 9.0.4 partition, but got a very generic "can't be fixed" message. I restarted off of the 9.0.4 system disk, and ran disk first aid. It was a little more specific, saying that the error that can't be fixed is "Invalid Map Node Linkage, 4, 2016". Here is where I come clean. My Norton disk is version 4 but I had version 6 loaded on the drive, it came from a Limewire download courtesy of my brother-in-law so I don't actually have a bootable disk for version 6. I'm willing to spend the money for a utility, but I'd like to know if Norton will fix this. Has anybody heard of this error? I know I'll get the usual responses about Tech Tool and Disk Warrior, but I'd like to stick with Norton (since there should be file saver info already on that partition to recover). Specifically, has anybody gotten this error and what fixed it? Is is worth a trip to the Apple site to see if this error is discussed anywhere?

System details: Bondi iMac, PowerLogix 400mhz upgrade, 40 gb IBM hard drive with partitions as follows: 2gb for OS 9.0.4; 2gb for Future OSX; 38 gb for everything else. Ask if you need more details.

Thanks in advance.

val

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2002, 12:53 AM

Do not use earlier versions of Norton. They'll hose your HD in a blink. The best disk utility is DiskWarrior. Buy a copy. Don't pirate it. You'll be thankful you have it.
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

P
Mar 9, 2002, 01:12 PM

You can download a fully functional demo of the latest version of Norton Utilities from Symantec's website. See if that one can fix your problem.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ValVashon  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2002, 01:47 PM

I should also mention that the "OS 9.0.4" partition does not mount on the desktop. Both Norton and Disk First Aid seem to be able to find this partiton, but can't repair it. I would be hesitant to try and go online and download additional things to the hard drive while it is damaged. Thanks for the suggestion about trying Disk Warrior; hopefully it is a bootable disk utility.

Val

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2002, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by ValVashon:
<STRONG>I should also mention that the "OS 9.0.4" partition does not mount on the desktop. Both Norton and Disk First Aid seem to be able to find this partiton, but can't repair it. I would be hesitant to try and go online and download additional things to the hard drive while it is damaged. Thanks for the suggestion about trying Disk Warrior; hopefully it is a bootable disk utility.

Val</STRONG>
Yes, DW comes on a bootable CD. It's a great utility (for instance, the next version of Norton tools or whatever they call their suite will come with a version of DW--recognition that Norton can't produce a better product, IMHO). DW 2.1 can also be used on X drives, although it'll boot in 9.
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Forum Links
Forum Rules