Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Could I store my iTunes library on a NAS?

Could I store my iTunes library on a NAS?
biscuit
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 14, 2006, 01:07 PM

Hi all,

If I were to pick up a relatively cheap Network Area Storage thingymabob and hook it into my router, would it be possible to have my iTunes library on there? At the moment it's on an external firewire drive, but it's kind of annoying having it plugged in when on the sofa etc. I'd connect with my iBook over Airport (which is only 11b because of the router). Would I still be able to stream to my Airport Express with this set up?

I've seen a few things about drives with iTunes servers on them; would that be required (or desirable)?

Thanks,

biscuit

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 14, 2006, 01:25 PM

Yes, you can. I do it. There are a few issues to think about though. First, to save energy and wear on the drive, mine spins down after a set time-which means that it hast to spin UP when I access it and that takes a little time. I've also found that I have a few issues with storing downloaded songs on the NAS-there were some problems transferring the file via ethernet via iTunes. But keeping the songs there works fine, and there are workarounds (keep the library in the iTunes folder, but "add folders to library" (with "move files to iTunes folder" UNCHECKED) for the songs on the NAS. This means that I have a 300GB networked drive holding my songs where they don't clog my laptop's drive AND where I can share them. I like it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

biscuit  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 14, 2006, 01:34 PM

Cool, thanks. I'm almost annoyed that I've never thought of this before. The spin up/down shoud be fine (I'd probably switch it off anyway to save power) and I rarely buy stuff on iTunes. Does importing CDs work OK?

Any recommendations on kit?

Cheers,

biscuit

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 14, 2006, 08:03 PM

Importing CDs is slower when they're stored over the network than when they're stored locally. I use MusicMatch on my PC to do my ripping (I prefer the way tagging works in that software) and it takes a LOT longer to rip a CD if I forget to change the library back to "local" for that period-the drive goes at 8X at most, while if I store locally it goes at something like 24X+. Again, a minor irritation.

One great thing about my NAS is that it also has a USB connection, so if I need speed, I can disconnect ethernet, plug in with USB and get REALLY fast data transfers. It's a CoolMax CN550, by the way.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules