Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Connecting to an OS9 Machine

Connecting to an OS9 Machine
gacuna
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2002, 10:45 AM

I have an iBook with MacOSX and I have an iMac with 9.2, I have sharing on the iMac and they are both connected with a crossover cable, I just don't know how to connect to the iMac with OSX. There is not network browser or anything like that, what do I do?

ARENA
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2002, 11:57 AM

In the Finder press: 'Command + K' (Has the same effect as: 'Go > Connect to server...')

That is the new network browser, so there you can connect to the iMac via TCP/IP or AppleTalk.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2002, 12:21 PM

You can connect to the OS9 Mac from OSX (be sure to check the 'Make Appletalk active' box under the 'Appletalk' tab on the 'Network' control panel), but unfortunatly not the other way round, as OSX only does Appletalk IP sharing which the OS9 Mac cannot 'see'

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2002, 01:37 PM

I connect to my G4 running X from three other computers, all running some version of 9. The trick is to turn AppleTalk on in the machine running X, or to have ShareWay IP Personal Background in the extension folder of the machine running 9 (or both ). The ShareWay extension will let you connect to the X machine using its TCP/IP address via the Chooser.

Edit: i forgot to add that you need to turn Sharing on in the machine running X, which you do via the Sharing Pane (go figure!)

[ 03-03-2002: Message edited by: yoyo52 ]
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

gacuna  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 4, 2002, 12:08 PM

hey arena,

that was great advice just what i was looking for, and for the rest of you guys, the OS9 machine does see the OSX machine and that has work out good, and well i just needed to know about that command + k thingy I didn't know that it was like the network browser that was great, thanks.

--Guillermo

Forum Links
Forum Rules