Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Uninstalling Classic

Uninstalling Classic
WTWolfe
Mar 14, 2002, 05:35 PM

I would like to ditch the dead weight.

I would like to uninstall classic on my iBook 466 SE fw because I find that I no longer use it. The iBook's HD space is quite limited and I haven't had the time or the ca$h to install a new one. I would appreciate any help on this Removal. I have searched Apple support - the MacNN Forums and could find nothing on this subject. I would like to insure that Mac OS X (10.1.3 Build 5Q45) will know that Classic is gone, ie. not have remnants of Classic floating around so everything will continue without a hitch. I want to be able to click on a Classic program and have nothing happen, except maybe a message that says you need Classic to run this App. Thanks All! I hope you can give me some valuable insight.
� G4 350 (AGP) 640MB OS 9.2.2
� iBook SE 466 Graphite 192MB OS X v10.1.4 (5Q125)

Brass
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2002, 06:56 PM

Drag your "/System Folder" to the Trash. Drag "/Applications (Mac OS 9)" to the trash. Empty the Trash. Drag "Documents" to your home directory (careful not to overwrite the documents folder already there if there's anything in it - might need to rename one or the other first).

That's about it.

I'm not sure how to deselect the Classic startup volume in the Classic System Preferences, but if the system folder is not there, it can't run it anyway. It will probably automatically deselect when it finds it's missing.

clRagnarok
Forum Regular
Mar 14, 2002, 11:31 PM

uhmmm...is it wise to just delete OS 9 off the entire computer? I know you won't lose anything OS X-specific, but I think I would wait until 10.2 is out, in case you need OS 9 for anything (I find OS 9 very handy for some things, likes Real Player. it's also snappy ).

Also, can you Trash system folders/files in OS 9 using the UI? In OS X I was under the impression you could only do it through Terminal.
c l R a g n a r o k

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2002, 11:40 PM

Yes you can trash stuff from an OS 9 partition of HD while you're in X. If you drag a file from one partition to another, it will copy rather than move, but putting it in the trash gets rid of it.

On the other hand, I would certainly make sure that I wouldn't be using 9 ever again before I trashed it.
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

WTWolfe  (op)
Mar 15, 2002, 12:46 AM

Well it's too late to turn back now! The deed has been done and everything seems to be a little peppier! (This is probably just the placebo effect. )

There were a few items that I couldn't just drag to the trash - like the "blessed" OS 9 System Folder. I had to individually drag the Finder et al. Then I restarted and viola the now plain (or I guess you could say, "unblessed") System Folder could now be discarded. Anyway, I am happier now due to the new availability to disk space. Thanks for the posts. I knew I could count on you guys!
� G4 350 (AGP) 640MB OS 9.2.2
� iBook SE 466 Graphite 192MB OS X v10.1.4 (5Q125)

Forum Links
Forum Rules