Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > I want to take the dive to Os X!! (and never go back to Os 9 again)

I want to take the dive to Os X!! (and never go back to Os 9 again)
Nachohat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2001, 02:39 PM

I want to convert over to Os X this summer. I am a third year computer engineering student and having a UNIX command line at home would be a great convenience. I plan to install it on my Powerbook G4 Titanium.

I'm going to wait until after the expo and then I will be making the jump. I don't feel like using Os 9 ever again, and I don't want a dual boot, I want to go for it all the way.

Here is my problem, I need some apps. Please give me some links to the best replacements to my most common software, tell me how they are comparable to the Os 9 versions, how productive they are. And you can tell me if I'm a fool to go completely Os X.

1) Metrowerks Codewarrior (for C++, and Java)
2) Microsoft Office (mainly Word and Excel, some Powerpoint too)
3) icq
4) Internet Explorer
5) Photoshop (i know it will be a while before I see this one )
6) Quake 3

I heard there is an Office replacement from Sun called Star Office, it's not out yet for Os X but how good is the current version for Linux or Windows? Also, can I get some good UNIX apps like Analog Workbench and Mathlab on Os X?

Thanx for the enlightenment :o

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2001, 04:03 PM

You may want to surf around the third party software and developer forum. Some of what you want is ready to go, like IE and Q3. Apple ships the dev tools with the OS. So you get project builder and interface builder. I even used the cc compiler from the command line to recompile some basic C code I brought home from work. No editing needed. Although the argv argc didn't work in some but did in others?

Anyway. Just do a little leg work around here and you'll find most of what you need.

Forum Links
Forum Rules