Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Best OS version for a PowerBook G4 Titanium? Help!

Best OS version for a PowerBook G4 Titanium? Help!
JET
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2007, 04:54 PM

Hi, I don't know Jack. Maybe you do.

I am not sure if I should upgrade my OS software to a later version. I have no idea what the plusses and minuses are.

I have a PowerBook G4, 667 Mhz processor, with 512 RAM.
Am presently running OS 10.3.9.

Should I upgrade to OS 10.4.9, which my new MacBook Pro is running???

thanks, JET

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2007, 05:00 PM

Your G4 can handle 10.4. More RAM would be nice, though. If you're happy with 10.3 on your PB, there's no reason to upgrade. On the other hand, if you miss 10.4 when you're using your PB, consider upgrading.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
May 15, 2007, 08:59 PM

Ditto Big Mac.
Stay right where you are if you are happy with it.
If not, more ram and Tiger to come closer to the MBPro experience. Ain't nothing wrong with a G4 PowerBook.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2007, 09:28 PM

I would definitely rather put the money into more ram, this will signnificantly speed things up. If you can do both, great!

kelso
Forum Regular
May 15, 2007, 09:43 PM

My g4 cube with 450Mhz processor and 512 Mb of Ram ran 10.4.9 just fine. You should have no problems with your powerbook.

jasong
Mac Elite
May 15, 2007, 09:58 PM

I'm running Tiger on my 1Ghz TiBook with no problems. If you have a new MacBook, will you be using the TiBook enough to justify the upgrade cost?
-- Jason

tigas
Forum Regular
May 16, 2007, 06:22 AM

1GB of RAM is always helpful. I'm running a G4/550 Pismo (roughly equivalent to a revA TiBook) and 10.4 works quite well, actually. AFTER I put the 1 GB of RAM in, of course...
My Mac is a Pismo G4/550: 1GB RAM, 40GB 5.4k, Airport, DVD-R, and still black, silent and curvaceous!

JET  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2007, 09:39 PM

thanks all above for your feedback. I was away for a few days and glad to see all these great suggestions and perspectives. SSSsuper. I will check into more RAM for the Ti. Thanks again. This was my first post and I am happy for your help!

JET

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2007, 11:38 PM

I recently upgraded from a TiBook 667MHz with 1GB of RAM and it ran v10.4.9 without any problems at all. I loved that machine!

Forum Links
Forum Rules