Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > how to instal one program twice?

how to instal one program twice?
Kpsogiel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2007, 09:46 PM

Do
hi i have this problem, curently i have instaled newest version of world of warcraft 2.x.x
but i need also at the same time to have older version 1.x.x
problem is that mac doesnt let me install both versions at the same time.
I tryed to look into instalation package but it doesnt allowe me to edit the files inthere. I ve tryed to edit info.plist but I cant.

Is there any option to have two versions of this game at the same time. with different settings?
what should i do to make it work?

besides it applys to any programs. how to make two versions of the same prog at the same time
?????

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2007, 09:48 PM

Install it in a different folder. Don't install them both in the same folder.

Kpsogiel  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2007, 09:54 PM

but this is the problem
when i run the older version instaler is can read my library and it doesnt allow me to install it again because i already have one version of the game installed. I have no idea how to make it, that it will allow me to install it again and set up different settings

Brass
Professional Poster
May 20, 2007, 11:00 PM

Can you install it as a different non-admin user in the user's home directory (not in /Applications)?

mr. burns
Senior User
May 21, 2007, 01:18 AM

you can't log in to play the game unless you have the newest version. to have two copies of the game with different settings, just make a copy of your world of warcraft folder.

not all who wander are lost.

Kpsogiel  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2007, 01:37 AM

nope, thats not the point,
I need earlier version with different installer.
it has to be a way to install it twice with different settings,
on windows i ve only had to change folder name and i could ve installed same thing twice ot triple or so and so

i know that one method is to change info.plist file but this time, installer doesnt allow me to change this file, its like protected file. i just dont have acces to change it. besides that i need editor to do that.

question is f.e how to install two copies of one program with different versions, one older one newer. it concerns every kind of program, OS X doesnt allow to do that kind of stuff which is lame.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2007, 01:54 AM

OS X does allow you to do that. I have multiple versions of several different programs installed and it didn't require anything special. It is World of Warcraft that isn't allowing you to do that.

As for this specific issue, I would recommend asking on the World of Warcraft Mac support forum. The actual developers of the game post there, so they'd know more about the specifics of the WoW installer than we do.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

jasong
Mac Elite
May 26, 2007, 10:11 PM

Does WOW use the standard Mac OS X installer? If so, simply move the WOW installer receipt from your Receipts folder (it'll either be in your user receipts folder or your system-wide one), and then run the installer.
-- Jason

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 26, 2007, 11:43 PM

No, it doesn't use a standard installer.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

cintix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2008, 02:09 PM

Hey All,

You can install World of Warcraft twice.
The problem is that the installer can see your current installation of World Of Warcraft, so it wornt allow you too reinstall it.

This is what you do and it works for any software on MAC.

Step 1: Open Terminal
Step 2: type in "cd /Application"
Step 3: change access rights to the application folder to none ex. "sudo chmod 0 World\ of\ Warcraft/"
Step 4: Install a application again somewhere new ex. "/home/Users/YOURNAME/World Of Warcraft"
Step 5: change accessright back on old application folder ex . "sudo chmod 755 World\ of\ Warcraft/"

Now you have to versions of the same software ;-)
Hope this helps

//Cintix

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 28, 2008, 07:15 AM

Forum Links
Forum Rules