Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Tibook hard-drive capacity says 9.36Gb ?! why?

Tibook hard-drive capacity says 9.36Gb ?! why?
Nachohat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2001, 02:07 PM

I though I bough this thing with a 10 Gb hard-drive not 9.36! Is Apple still saying that 1Gb is 1000mb's instead of 1024mb's? In that case I would only be loosing 240 mb so the capacity would be 9.64Gb. But here I'm loosing almost 655mb's!!

Will the capacity change if I format the drive? (I will do this before I install OsX this summer) Has this happened to anyone else?

Avenir
Mac Elite
May 17, 2001, 02:53 PM

Mine does the same thing, and I formatted it into two halves (5 gigs a piece) and they both read at a capacity of 4.68 gigs each, making a total of, yup, 9.36. I think this might be normal. Hey, if it really bothers ya, just go pick up that IBM 48 TravelStar when it comes out and forget about losing any space at all I'd sure like to do that, but then I just shelled out on 512 MB of RAM for my TI... woohoo 600+ megs!

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

InterfaceGuy
Senior User
May 17, 2001, 04:17 PM

I purchased a new iBook today. My 10GB hard drive says 9.36 GB capacity.
( Last edited by InterfaceGuy; Jul 9, 2011 at 03:01 PM. )

Gaijin
May 17, 2001, 04:18 PM

The 10 GB's would be unformatted, with nothing on it. Not even the operating system. Since they came installed with software and formatted, you don't get a full 10 GB's to work with. This is true of everything...Zip Disks, HD's, etc.

------------------
Stand tall and shake the heavens!
Stand tall and shake the heavens!

chemical x
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2001, 05:14 PM

Obviously the OS and all the apple extras/browsers/utilities etc. etc will take up space on your primary hard drive.

but out of curiousity....what kind of software resides on a Zip disk and/or external hard disk.

Mike656
May 17, 2001, 07:21 PM

No software resides on a new zip disk or a external hard disk, but they much be formatted in order to be usable, which takes up disk space.

Raman
Mac Elite
May 17, 2001, 07:55 PM

What everyone here has failed to mention is that hard drive manufacturers consider 1 million bytes to = 1 megabyte. If 1024 bytes is 1 kilobyte and 1024 kilobytes = 1 megabyte we have a problem.

1024x1024x1024 != 1,000,000

your megabytes != hard drive manufacturers' megabytes

Nachohat  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2001, 08:24 PM

I don't want to flame you but I will make a kind remark Did you read the first post?

Nachohat  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2001, 08:30 PM

So one Gb is one billion bits. That's a rip off, I'm a computer engineer and when we use these, we always use powers of 2, 1024mb in a Gb. Why do the manufacturers, engineer themselves have to lie! It says exactly what you said (and I said in my first post) on the side of the box the computer shiped in.

MadMacs
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2001, 10:18 PM

I believe that the formatting creates a directory that takes up all that space.

freakishhair
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2001, 08:47 PM

your only 600megs short? geez... quit whining... you should have just got a 30gig

------------------
~fReAk
~fReAk
die MS die!
anyone wana donate a mac, email [email protected].. i am a student with no cash!

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
May 18, 2001, 11:28 PM

We can figure out how much capacity you should have:

x(2^30) = 10 * 10^9

x = (10^10) / (2^30)

x = 9.31323

Hmmm... Your capacity should be 9.31 GB. I'm not sure why your Mac is reporting it as 9.36 GB.

------------------
Fyre4ce

"I need a vacation." - Terminator robot
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

Raman
Mac Elite
May 20, 2001, 12:39 AM

Originally posted by Nachohat:
I don't want to flame you but I will make a kind remark Did you read the first post?
Flame me if you'd like but the original poster said that Apple says 1 million bytes = 1 gigabyte when in reality is the hard drive manufacturer which is not Apple. Apple just passes along the info to the consumer.

Of course, Apple could say "It comes with a 9.36 GB hard drive." But that doesn't sound as good as a nice round number like 10. Plus actual available capacity differs based on formatting and sector sizes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules